MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 18-07-19, 12:05

Helo Petr, I have spare one I think. Do you have any Carrier parts you could swap?

Regards,

Tom
Old 18-07-19, 14:39
Junior Password Gnome

The spacer was made in a variety of materials, presumably down to what was available at the time/place of manufacture.

British ones are/were made of rubber (I've seen white, brown and black examples).

Canadian ones were made of plywood, with cork gaskets glued to top and bottom in order to keep water out.

Post-WW2 (possibly later WW2) British ones were made from steel stampings, as two shallow dishes welded together along the seam, and rubber gaskets were used (which continued into the Larkspur era with a variety of bases).

Best regards,
Chris.
Old 22-07-19, 11:48

Thank you all for the detailed info! So it looks that I will need rubber one for the British carrier.
Is it made just from the plain rubber or reinforced rubber, please? Any pics?
Old 23-07-19, 00:44
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petr Brezina View Post
Thank you all for the detailed info! So it looks that I will need rubber one for the British carrier.
Is it made just from the plain rubber or reinforced rubber, please? Any pics?
Just a moulded rubber block, but it's "stepped" inside to clear the central insulator or connection post.

It shouldn't be hard to find one, I'm going to Beltring this week and will have a look around.

You may also need the connector plate, and there are two varieties - I can't remember the stores codes at this time of night - one is for the "early" connection and is just a disc with a central insulator that takes a ring terminal on the underside and an aerial pigtail on the top to connect to the base (No.8 or No.10). The later version for coaxial cable feed has a cable clamp (like the Pye elbow socket) underneath and a pillar that takes the coax centre and the pigtail lead. For the co-ax version there's also a different feed plate for the back of the variometer.

Best regards,
Chris.
Old 24-07-19, 14:12

Thanks a lot, Chris!
Edit - so I think I will need something like this (photo from Tim Bell - thank you)? Bottom middle
Attached Images

Last edited by Petr Brezina; 24-07-19 at 14:41.
Old 24-07-19, 21:34
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petr Brezina View Post
Thanks a lot, Chris!
Edit - so I think I will need something like this (photo from Tim Bell - thank you)? Bottom middle
I think you need the top middle version - bottom middle looks line the turret roof mount with steel plate insert and threaded inserts.

Top left is Plates, Connector No.2 for the single wire connection from variometer to base (uses the standard variometer feeder as issued with the truck and ground station with a knurled clamping nut).

Bottom left is Plates, Connector, No.1 for coaxial cable connection (needs a different aerial feeder plate for the back of the variometer).

I can't remember the numbers offhand - it's Too Hot.

Beltring was like an oven, and there was very little WW2 radio kit on sale.

I will see if I have any spare parts in the collection.

Best regards,
Chris.
Old 26-07-19, 08:50

Thank you Chris!
Old 21-12-19, 03:56
Geoff Truscott

Licenses:
Joe a radio tech in Stittesville (Ottawa) explained it to me as a bandwidth issue, some bands can overlap and the width of the signal being broadcast (old tech) can interfere with the bands used by Air Traffic Control. Certified operators are educated about these matters. Only the challenged tread here without the proper skills.
Joe has rebuilt all my WS19 sets and PSU's for $60-80. He disables the TX making it a Receiver only. I have never checked, but I think he just disconnects a tube and insulates the lead.

Bren install:
I have never seen the canvas covers over the 6/12 point cables, are these standard issue with the installation kits?

Geoff
Old 21-12-19, 14:47

I guess the canvas covered cables are prudent for an installation that is susceptible to the elements. I've no idea what the cables in my own MK2 were originally designed for, but the long one was perfect length to connect between the junction boxes via the Ronson hole Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Carrier 053.jpg   Carrier 054.jpg