MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 03-06-18, 04:26
VMVC

Default Ford CMP Cooling System Drain Notice plate graphics

Hi Vincent,

This may be of interest:
Weather has not been great for being outside so I thought I would revisit doing the graphics for the Cooling System Drain Notice plate located on the engine cover of my truck. I had started it a while back because that plate is the one in the worst condition. Posting the photo of it here reminded me of it.

Didn't take too long to do it. Couple hours here and there the last two days at the computer. Getting more familiar with Paint.net helped.

This is the first draft so after a bit of a double check and tidy up I will print and decal a piece of sheet steel the same size as the original and see what it looks like. Original plate scan on right.

Does anyone know how the original plates were printed? Offset, like paper printing? Screen printing? It is darn good ink or paint, whatever it is, to last as long as it has.

My apology for going a little bit off thread topic here.

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails
Drain Radiator - paint net - Copy.jpg   Drain Radiator.jpg  

Jacques Reed
Old 03-06-18, 11:24
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Instruction plates

These are the same on all Ford CMPs

They were supplied with the kits ex-Canada.

The data plates we see on top of the dash (which I have NOS) are also of Canadian manufacture.

I don't know what the process is to make those black and silver plates, but I know there are people who can reproduce that process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Reed View Post
Hello Vincent,

These are the data plates on the engine cover of my Australian assembled Ford F-15A.

Not sure if Canadian sourced vehicles used the same plates. Perhaps another person can confirm.

Cheers

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 03-06-18, 14:10
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Webb View Post
I don't know what the process is to make those black and silver plates, but I know there are people who can reproduce that process.
Anodising, I think. The plate is coated with a protective layer (photoresist as used for making printed circuit boards for small runs, or printed with a waterproof coating for mass production) where it needs to remain silver, then put in a chemical bath with a dye and connected to the positive supply. The electrolytic action etches the surface of the plate where it's in contact with the solution, and the dye is absorbed by the layer of aluminium oxide the immediately forms.

Same process as used to produce coloured aluminium cookware, etc.

(More complex than I first thought: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anodizing .)

Chris
Old 04-06-18, 01:34
VMVC

Default anodized printing on tags

Hi Chris,

Thanks for that info and link. It sounds like that's similar to the process to make photo-etched parts as used in model making.

In any event the process is probably outside the expertise of the home handyman. Having said that, I remember a cousin back in the sixties who was an electronics geek who made his own PCB's at home so anything is possible with enough research- and chemicals!

Cheers,

Jacques Reed
Old 04-06-18, 02:58

Thanks for infos !!

Do you know how to paint Engine ??? OD ?? Ford Grey ??
Old 05-06-18, 02:40
VMVC

Default Ford CMP engine colour

Hi Vincent,

Here is a link to one thread on MLU about Ford V8 engine colour. There may be others.

http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=12728

As can be seen there is plenty of debate about correct engine colour.

I painted my engine "engine gray" simply because the original colour was gray but since then have learnt that gray paint could have been applied to a reconditioned motor. I have seen at least three other original military engines painted gray but they too could have also been rebuilt. If so, and done in service, it still could be considered a "correct colour"

I am happy with it anyway. Light colour makes it easy to see. My marine engineering shipmates told me their equipment in the engine room was always painted a light colour to make it easy to spot leaks. Good a reason as any to leave it gray!

In the absence of wartime colour photos, or sighting Ford Canada production specifications to end the debate, all that matters is what pleases you.

Cheers,

Jacques Reed

Last edited by Jacques Reed; 05-06-18 at 10:32.
Old 06-06-18, 03:02

Thanks for help dear Jacques !!!

I'm a new owner about CMP....
I'm better in MB Jeep !!

I didn't start restoration yet on my F15.
Only total restoration of starter
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20180402_121315.jpg  
Old 06-06-18, 08:09

I think more and more I will paint all the truck with SCC2 brown paint color and camo pattern in dark SCC14 color.

Engine in grey color, as GPW Jeep.

To show British Infantry Division truck, in summer 1944 in Normandy.

What do you think about it ??

Where Can I find SCC2 paint in Europe ? British sources can't ship to France....
MAT3 paint is a good idea for SCC2 color ?

Thanks again from France
Old 10-06-18, 16:51
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent BLASSIC View Post
I think more and more I will paint all the truck with SCC2 brown paint color and camo pattern in dark SCC14 color.

To show British Infantry Division truck, in summer 1944 in Normandy.

What do you think about it ??
Hello Vincent,

I think the colour scheme you suggest will look great on you F15. Not many pictures of 4x2 15-cwts truck in NW Europe are known, but below is one of a Ford of Chev 4x2 15-cwt truck in Normandy.

Cheers,
Hanno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra View Post
Caption:
"D-DAY.nChevrolet CMP C60,CMP No.13-cabbed, 3-Ton Covered Fixedside-bodied 4x4 General Service Freight Lorry, at Pont L'Eveque, circa 10 miles from Deauville, D-Day plus 4:-"

Source: http://www.trucknetuk.com/phpBB/view...?f=35&t=114300
Old 10-06-18, 16:53
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Where Can I find SCC2 paint in Europe ? British sources can't ship to France....
MAT3 paint is a good idea for SCC2 color ?
Vincent,

Many restorers use the MAT3 paint which is available from several dealers, I think this came from French Army stocks? Anyway, it is a pretty good match for SCC2.

However, Steven Burvenich has taken Mike Starmer's colour mixes and matched them to RAL mixes - see the attachment:

Hope this helps,
Hanno

Click image for larger version

Name:	34849763_992386247577208_1376597676191121408_o.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	100197
Old 14-06-18, 16:17

Default No Holes for me iether ?

Quote:
It's my 1rst FORD F15

I own :
- 08/1944 Jeep MB
- 1937 French CITROEN 11BL
- 1944 DKW NZ 350-1 German motorcycle.

But I need infos about this new CMP...

It's F15, OK.

- Date ?? 1942,1943, 1944, 1945...?
- Serial numbers ??? (no plates, no holes on right door for plates, but on dashboard...)

Thanks for help , from France
Hi there,

I have the same problem, I would love to know how to date my F60 LAAT but the data plates are not present. The right hand door has no tell tail holes where the data plates should be located ? But I haven’t looked closely at the instrument panel (which I will over the weekend) I hope to find a Chassis number also to cross reference with the register to obtain a rough month of manufacturing.

I will be in touch soon also to purchase some new data plates 😀

Cheers

Mark Towers
Old 16-06-18, 02:21
VMVC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra View Post
Vincent,

Many restorers use the MAT3 paint which is available from several dealers, I think this came from French Army stocks? Anyway, it is a pretty good match for SCC2.

However, Steven Burvenich has taken Mike Starmer's colour mixes and matched them to RAL mixes - see the attachment:

Hope this helps,
Hanno

Attachment 100197
Hi Hanno,

I found a hobby paint supplier AK Interactive that makes the SCC2 Brown paint for modelmakers. I was just interested if anyone has experience with it and has any information how accurate it is?

Perhaps if it is correctly formulated, like Testor's paints which are derived from US Federal Standards color chips, it could be used to create a colour chip. That could then be taken to any good paint supplier and a formula developed from it. Most paint suppliers now have computer matching services.

I have an interest in this as I am beginning to think the Canadian sourced parts on my Australian Ford CMP truck were painted SCC2. This would explain some of the brownish coloured components on the truck compared to the greener KG3 painted Australian manufactured parts, which are mainly the body parts.

Just a thought anyway.

Here's a link to their website. Colours seem to be as well researched as Testor's Model Masters series.
http://www.akrealcolors.com/

Cheers,

Jacques Reed

Last edited by Jacques Reed; 16-06-18 at 08:30. Reason: Added AK Real Colors link
Old 16-06-18, 11:39
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Reed View Post
I found a hobby paint supplier AK Interactive that makes the SCC2 Brown paint for modelmakers. I was just interested if anyone has experience with it and has any information how accurate it is?

Perhaps if it is correctly formulated, like Testor's paints which are derived from US Federal Standards color chips, it could be used to create a colour chip. That could then be taken to any good paint supplier and a formula developed from it. Most paint suppliers now have computer matching services.

I have an interest in this as I am beginning to think the Canadian sourced parts on my Australian Ford CMP truck were painted SCC2. This would explain some of the brownish coloured components on the truck compared to the greener KG3 painted Australian manufactured parts, which are mainly the body parts.

Just a thought anyway.

Here's a link to their website. Colours seem to be as well researched as Testor's Model Masters series.
http://www.akrealcolors.com/
Hello Jacques,

I see AK-Interactive is working with experts, including Mike Starmer. In that case I'd say their S.C.C.2 should be an exact match. Buying one tin of this paint to prepare a sample for your local paint supplier to match would be the easiest way.

Matching paint from NOS parts has been done also and has led to good results. On one of my old webpages I had the following photo of paint samples Dirk Leegwater had mixed up from new old stock boxed parts. Mike Starmer identified the colours as follows:
Quote:
Click image for larger version

Name:	CMPpaint.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	100316
  • Far left: SCC 2 (brown) Basic colour 1941-45 use.
  • 2nd left: SCC1A (very dark brown) Disruptive colour 1942-45 use.
  • 3rd left: BSC 381 Light Stone 61 Basic colour Desert 1940-43.
  • Far right: Looks brownish on screen, could be SCC 15 Olive Drab or US olive Drab - NOT green enough to be Khaki Green 3
Hanno
Old 16-06-18, 19:02

Last week,

I bought 1 can of SCC2 and 1 can of SCC14 at :
http://www.auradesign.eu/camo_p_br.htm

Now,
wait and see !!