MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 29-01-08, 17:41

Default Is there a detailed D-Day book about British/Canadian beaches?

Newly registered...

I have just finished reading Joseph Balkoski's book about the assault on Omaha beach, and was wondering if there were any books at an equivalent level of detail for Gold, Juno and Sword beaches.

I know there are lots of short ones like the Osprey series, which I have, and bunches of books with two or three pages on each beach, which I also have.

Advice appreciated.

(My background, expat Brit, living in USA, military history nut formerly concentrated on WWI, now studying NW Europe 44-45. My late father served in the 13th/18th Hussars before and after the war but not during it - he was a senior instructor at Bovington, then commissioned during the war and transferred to 11RTR which landed about 2 weeks after D-Day, initially CDL then LVT/Buffalo.)
Old 29-01-08, 22:48

There are these two books. He is not the best author, and there are some errors in his books, however, they give a lot of detail about the landings on Juno Beach and the battle to hold the beach head in the face of German counterattacks.

http://www.amazon.com/Juno-Beach-Can...1642943&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Holding-Juno-C...1642943&sr=8-2
Old 30-01-08, 19:00

"gold juno sword" by georges bernage

Heimdal publishing
ISBN: 2840481685

200 pages bilingual (french and english) crammed with photos and text.
Lay-out of the german forces and defences, the attacking forces, the battle on the beaches and a few miles inland.

Wim
Old 30-01-08, 19:15
Derek Heuring

Default Re: Is there a detailed D-Day book about British/Canadian beaches?

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Gage
Newly registered...

I have just finished reading Joseph Balkoski's book about the assault on Omaha beach, and was wondering if there were any books at an equivalent level of detail for Gold, Juno and Sword beaches.

I know there are lots of short ones like the Osprey series, which I have, and bunches of books with two or three pages on each beach, which I also have.

Advice appreciated.

(My background, expat Brit, living in USA, military history nut formerly concentrated on WWI, now studying NW Europe 44-45. My late father served in the 13th/18th Hussars before and after the war but not during it - he was a senior instructor at Bovington, then commissioned during the war and transferred to 11RTR which landed about 2 weeks after D-Day, initially CDL then LVT/Buffalo.)

Chris, check out the BATTLE ZONE NORMANDY series of books by various authors, edited by Simon Trew. I have the Juno Beach book (ISBN 0-07509-3007-1, order through www.suttonpublishing.co.uk) which has approx. 100 pages of useful information. Not the most in-depth book, but enlightening none-the-less.
From the German point of view I found "THE 12th SS The History of the Hitler Youth Panzer Division: Volume One by Hubert Meyer" to be an excellent read . If one wants to truly understand the outcome of a battle, one needs to study it from both sides. A bit of a read as it is difficult to maintain whom Hubert Meyer is talking about as he switches from unit to unit, abtelung to abtelung, regiment to regiment.

I've studied The Great War a little myself as it was where Canada truly became a nation and showed the world that it's troops were the equal of all and master of most. My favourite book from WW I is "Pictorial History of the Great War by S.J. Duncan and W.R. Plewman with Canada in the Great War by W.S. Wallace", the two books forming one volume. Are you familiar with this book?