MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 08-09-21, 14:57
MLU Administrator

Default "The Canadian airport that sheltered 7,000 people on 9/11"

As per Robert Morrison's request:

The Canadian airport that sheltered 7,000 people on 9/11
Canada's Gander International Airport in Newfoundland offered refuge to 7,000 displaced airplane passengers on 9/11 and inspired the hit musical "Come from Away."
Find out why this spot is a favorite for aviation and theater fans.

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/artic...ada/index.html
Old 10-09-21, 03:40
Terry Warner

Default my 9/11 memory

As the anniversary approaches, I remember standing on the production floor at Mapping and Charting Establishment trying to absorb the news of the day. Our phone was ringing off the hook as all our colleagues were calling in volunteering to help us with any special mapping projects or requests. We weren't getting work orders.

A little later, maybe the same day or the next. I was the duty tech and a staff officers who was well known came in with a DVD. He said, print one of every image on photo paper. How big? As big as you can. Who is it for? The US Embassy. Right away sir!

I expanded the images 'fit to paper', sent them to the 36" plotters and as the images kicked out, I laid each one flat to dry. Photoglass paper doesn't absorb well, and the ink has to air dry a bit.

The satellite was looking backwards at downtown Manhattan, like someone might turn their head to look over their shoulder when running. I have never seen such clear unclassified remote imagery. You could count the lines on the crosswalks. I have no idea which bird it was, but reorienting it probably took a year off the on-board fuel supplies getting those shots.

The staff officer came back a little later, collected the DVD and the images and disappeared.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!