MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 07-12-07, 13:59
Vets Dottir 2nd

Thumbs up North West Mounted Police service records 1873-1904

Hi Folks,

I don't know where else to put this, Sargeants Mess didn't seem quite right, so post it here ... for those with an interest in the service records of our North West Mounted Police who served between 1873 and 1904, and aren't aware of this fact, National Archives has added these to their online searchable database. Awesome!!!

http://www.collectionscanada.ca/arch...o/index-e.html

Does anyone in here have an ancestor/relative who was a NWMP?

Karmen
Old 07-12-07, 14:18
Vets Dottir 2nd

The page ABOUT the records and how to understand them:

http://www.collectionscanada.ca/arch...032-300-e.html

Karmen
Old 17-12-07, 12:24
Vets Dottir 2nd

Hi Folks,

Am up and filling insomniacness with browsing ... decided to check out some of the records just to see what sorts of info they hold. And by the way, as I'm sure you folks assume, many of these guys also served in WW1 and did not make it home. This information was included in one gentlemans files. Interesting reading. Some files are huge, I don't know the biggest file, but one I just looked at was about 87 pages from signing on with the NWMP until note of his killed in action in France and correspondence and such after the fact I didn't look at every page, just scanned some for an idea of what was in them.

One thing I noticed was correspondence in reference to discharged from service ... why did they "Purchase of Discharge" ... sounds like they had to pay to quit??? Curious what this means, if anyone knows???

Thanks.

PS: many of the images of photocopied pages are hard to read or indeciferable, but many aren't