MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 16-01-23, 11:50

Default Soldier runs down the King

Soldier runs down the King!

I have just been contacted by a fellow who has bought a 1942 Chevrolet 3 tonner. With the vehicle the owners gave him a newspaper clipping. The soldier in question (obviously an idiot) has carved his name and serial number on the glove box door.

Owner says that, combined with obvious repairs to the left front of the vehicle would suggest the driver and truck are the subjects of this article. Too good circumstantial evidence to deny a claim of attempted regicide!

If the magistrate was so worried by double jeopardy punishment against British justice he could have let the soldier off with a civil warning to be dealt with by military authorities.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot (216).jpg   Chev Army Flat.jpg  

Last edited by Lang; 17-01-23 at 01:11.
Old 17-01-23, 00:31
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default 1943

The 29th Aug, 1943 Brisbane Sunday Mail.
Attached Thumbnails
king.jpg  
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 17-01-23, 01:07

Here is the scene of the crime - the day after??

Old George has been demoted and pushed off to the side under the palm trees. He is on a steel box to protect him from drunken army truck drivers. All a pedestrian mall now.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot (218).jpg   800px-Statue_of_George_V_in_Brisbane,_2020.jpg  
Old 17-01-23, 10:49
MLU Administrator

Great story!

Much better than “my Jeep landed on Omaha beach on 6 June”
Old 05-02-23, 17:33

Default This bloke ...?

https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/Sear...aspx?B=6469218

Truck registration shown in the file appears to equate to a Chev 12 cwt van (utility with canopy).

Mike
Old 06-02-23, 07:42

There are times to let sleeping dogs lay.

Records are not the Ten Commandments. Just a quick run through sees him listed as 33 years old when he was 23 and when his family wrote for his medals they did not credit him with an African Star which he quite clearly was entitled to. No doubt numerous other minor errors as there are in all records, military or civil. I don't think Harold was too bright as still a Private after 4 years of service and a record sheet a regular litany of charges and punishments. I suspect he spent a lot of time washing trucks and peeling potatoes that don't appear on his record.

My point is it is a family history, his name is scratched on the truck glovebox. They just added 1 and 1 and came up with 3 to assume the truck was the accident vehicle. As a driver he probably had 100 different vehicles during his service. Old mate quite clearly was the culprit in whatever vehicle and that is the core of the story that really matters.

Lang

Last edited by Lang; 06-02-23 at 10:44.
Old 06-02-23, 12:12
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default NAA files

Some of those NAA service file records are amazing. The court martials are all there for all to read. Highly personal letters from family members , some may still be alive.

I read one file that I recall. A chap qualified as a RAAF pilot , he was then posted to Mildura to do training on operational types of aircraft but his instructor at Mildura wrote very negative reports on this chaps flying abilities. The base CO then recommended he hand in his wings which he eventually did , but years later in the 1970s, he wrote to Canberra requesting that his pilots rating was to be recognized and he wanted compensation and a medal.

The sad ones to read are the casualties , the aircrew deaths in the UK, there were many. The correspondence between the UK and the families with the actual telegrams notifying the deaths and the graves commission details relating to grave site locations in occupied Europe and the sending on of the dead airman's possessions. Hand written letters from the parents wanting to know more information.
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 06-02-23, 21:11

Mike

They are very good at record research in the Australian Defence Department. Tens of thousands of personel have their records digitised the same as our mate Harold Sheperd above. The boom in the Family History hobby has helped more of these records come to light.

What a lot of more recent ex-service people don't know is that they can get their own full records, not just the basic service and medical like that above for relatives.

When I got out I wanted full information for a pension etc and asked for my full records. I got about 200 pages of everything ranging from my signature on the bit of paper first day in the Army to course reports, officer confidential reports (you never see the comments after the first one your C.O. writes and it is very interesting to see what higher officers, particularly the Corps Director, has to say about you!). In my case I got another folder of about 150 pages of every flying test, aircraft conversion and qualification exam.

The medical records extended to the full treatment sheets with doctor's comments and daily hospital charts.

It is all out there for free, you just have to ask.

Lang