Old 19-06-15, 05:22
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Melbourne 1942 colour movie

spot the Ford military vehicle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuUoY0gOT_U
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 19-06-15, 16:24

Love the way the car whips past the stopped trolley car, narrowly avoiding the alighting passengers! Think I recognised most of the locations. The brick bridge has me thinking.... anyone recognise it?

I gather the last part was shot later: the trams look W class after the system was electrified, whereas the earlier images appear to be cable operated trolley cars. Comments?

Mike
Old 19-06-15, 16:25

Default Wonder what the story behind the movie was?

Hi Mike

Interesting little video, the two ladies must have been integral to the movie, but who ever shot it must have like the trolley system as well. Do you know if it was an electric trolley system or cable?

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 19-06-15, 16:41

wiked-pedia:

"Trams have operated continuously in Melbourne since 1884, with the opening of a horse tram line in Fairfield. Since then they have become a distinctive part of Melbourne's character and feature in tourism and travel advertising. Melbourne's cable tram system opened in 1885, and expanded to one of the largest in the world, with 75 km (46.6 mi) of double track. The first electric tram line opened in 1889, but closed only a few years later in 1894. In 1906 electric tram systems were opened in St Kilda and Essendon, marking the start of continuous operation of Melbourne's electric trams.

The Melbourne and Metropolitan Tramways Board was formed in 1919 to take control of Melbourne's cable tram network, six of the seven electric tramway companies, and the last horse tram. By 1940 all cable and horse tram lines had been abandoned or converted to either electric tram or bus operation."
Old 19-06-15, 21:00

What I know of it. Mostly hearsay as the cable trams were gone before I was out and about.
The cable tram system/s used power houses with the winding mechanism to run the cable which was a continuous loop to the end of the section and back. Some of the buildings still stand today I believe. I recall having one pointed out to me in North Melbourne.
The cable travelled below a slot between the rails through which the grip mechanism on the tram was able to be attached. If the street was quiet enough the cable could be heard making a low hissing sound and children would sometimes amuse themselves by snagging a piece of rag on it through the slot and watch it travel down the street.
The trams consisted of two parts, the forward section was the 'grip' and carried the driver or grip man to attend to the tram operation and also carried passengers. The rear section was the 'dolly' or 'dummy' and only carried passengers. There used to be a complete tram on display outside the museum in a glassed in enclosure.
As the system was dismantled some of the miles of cable was reused as fencing around parks and public areas strung from post to post. It was of unusual construction and instantly recognisable. There was a long length of it near the school I attended in Ascot Vale that we would sit on and swing back and forth or try and walk along. It was there for many years and we all knew what it was.

David

There are some ex Melbourne electric trams on your side of the pond Phil. They were operating them along the Seattle waterfront when I was there years ago and may still be doing so.

Last edited by motto; 20-06-15 at 02:34.
Old 20-06-15, 03:23
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default traffic

The streets in Melbourne appear to be failrly busy with traffic, surprising considering that petrol rationing would have been in force . The two women , most likely were relatives of the cameraman . The military Ford looks like a 1940 30cwt with a canopy . Mike

A GMH movie depicting a huge press, circa 1938 , Adelaide

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1neCX8RMNg
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad

Last edited by Mike Kelly; 20-06-15 at 03:37.