MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 28-01-19, 17:29

Default Replacing oil Gallery plugs Chevrolet??

I am planning on replacing the Core plugs (soft plugs, freeze plugs, expension plugs, Welsh plugs etc. etc.) on my Chevrolet 216. I have bought a kit with replacement plugs, but it also comes with some very small plugs and even some threaded small plugs. I am presuming it's just a general kit for different engines, as I can't find a threaded plug anywhere, so I probably don't need all of them......or am I missing something?

After a while I also found the two small plugs at each end of the block at both ends of the oil gallery. Did anyone ever replace these? With the larger plugs it's quite easy to drill a hole off centre and pull them out....or give them a whack off centre to remove them....but how do you remove those small plugs???? I am thinking of drilling a hole in the centre and pulling with a woodscrew.....

Alex
Old 30-01-19, 11:29

I personally haven't changed or thought about changing those smaller ones but if I was going to I would trying using a Tek screw instead of a wood screw as there is less chance of the Tek screw pulling out over the wood screw but it is still possible.

Just a young kid in an old guys game
Old 31-01-19, 12:12

Beau, thanks for your reply and thoughts. As there is oil behind these small plugs, there is probably less risk of them rusting through......but now the engine is apart, I thought it would be wise to remove them as I can clean out the oil gallery.

Alex
Old 31-01-19, 14:10

Default Make sure to rod the oil line passages

Hi Alex

Be sure to rod out the oil line passages, those dead ends behind the plugs can trap some nasty sludge.

I used stiff wire and slow drill to loosen anything in there, old speedo cables work well. I've seen them as clean as a whistle or heavy sludge.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 03-02-19, 13:40

Thanks Phil. Can you confirm that the wartime 216 only requires two small soft plugs.....not the threaded ones?

Yes, I will certainly have to update my resto log...

Alex
Old 03-02-19, 14:06

Default The freeze plug at the back of block?

Hi Alex

Will have to check my restoration photos to confirm number and location of the oil gallery plugs. Mind wants to say only two drive in plugs. With screw plugs only coming in after they up the oil pressure.

But as you are replacing freeze plugs remember to get the one at the rear end block as being source of "mystery coolant leaks" coming out of the clutch housing.

Get back after I check my photos after rebuilding 6 different stovebolt engines have to refer to my photos and notes to remember what's on the original CMP and what's on later 235/261 engines.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
Old 03-02-19, 19:19

Default Checked my restoration photos

Hi Alex

What is throwing me is your first picture with four of the small drive fit plugs and four of the threaded plugs.

I've confirmed that the threaded plugs are for the later engines my 261 has them while the 235 has the drive fit plugs. So we're OK there.

What I am not figuring is that I can only find two locations for the oil line plugs on the manifold side of the engine the long passage for the cam bearings that runs from front of the engine all the way to back.

Check several different vintages of CMP manuals and parts book and I can only find where those two plugs are used. So I'm at a loss as to why the kit includes 4 of each type.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
Old 03-02-19, 21:33

Hi Phil,

Thanks for looking into this. It seems the soft plug sets the Filling Station, Chevs of the 40's and Jim Carter are selling, all have the same contents.....so all have the 4 small soft plugs and the 4 small threaded plugs. The sets are intended for 216, 235 and 261 and a wide variety of build years.
I can also only spot two of the smaller soft plugs on my 216.....would the other two be for a later block that has a casting intended for an external oil filter, maybe? I checked some pictures online and I get the feeling some 235 or 261 blocks might have two extra plugs on the side of the engine.....near the oil pan?

Alex