MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 12-12-18, 21:13
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Baker View Post
I believe this photo is also of the same line up from the first photo. Except that the RAM OP has now moved up to be in line with the other tanks and the jeeps have moved.
Nice photo Jordan. I think the Ram OP in this line up is a different one. It has spare tracks all over while the one on front of the Hotel De Draak has not.

The M7 covered with a tarp is the same Kangaroo as in post#1.

H.
Old 12-12-18, 21:19
MLU Administrator

Another picture of the Ram OP in front of Hotel De Draak. Dated 27-Oct-1944.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2155_071558_resized.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	103984

Source: https://nimh-beeldbank.defensie.nl/m...1-13966e870614
Old 12-12-18, 21:27

Look again at the first picture.
Attached Thumbnails
2D977412-5E3E-4BFB-9924-C09841659A64.jpeg   335DE69E-9D1C-41D0-9F67-888EACA01CCC.jpeg  
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 12-12-18, 22:02
MLU Administrator

Ah, that first picture. Obviously I was comparing it with the famous pic of the Ram OP in front of Hotel De Draak.

So there were at least two Ram OPs.

The Priest Kangaroo in the pics above seem to be the same one - look at the dented LH fender.

H.
Old 26-03-22, 14:44
MLU Administrator

Default Lac pa-131627

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanno spoelstra View Post
Quote:
originally posted by john mcgillivray
a few years ago the subject of the defrocked priests in 4cad came up on the afv new db. I forgot about them being used as command vehicles. Someone had stated that 4cad also kept 10 defrocked priests to use as cargo carriers. I believe that the photo below shows two of the cargo carrier versions.
that's pa-131627, as identified in photos needed:
Update to current location of this itme in the LAC archive: https://central.bac-lac.gc.ca/.redir...94297&lang=eng

A Priest Kangaroo used by the 4th Canadian Armoured Division moving north through the village of Delden Holland on the 4th of April 1945. In support of the 10th Canadian Infantry Brigade, the Lincoln and Welland Regiment which is seen in the lower right of the photo.
This Kangaroo is either one used by the Headquarters section, or one of 10 "defrocked Priests" used as cargo carriers - note the cribbing added around the rear deck.

Credit: Alexander M. Stirton / Canada. Dept. of National Defence / Library and Archives Canada / PA-131627

Name:  a131627.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  57.5 KB
Old 29-03-22, 13:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra View Post
Update to current location of this itme in the LAC archive: https://central.bac-lac.gc.ca/.redir...94297&lang=eng

A Priest Kangaroo used by the 4th Canadian Armoured Division moving north through the village of Delden Holland on the 4th of April 1945. In support of the 10th Canadian Infantry Brigade, the Lincoln and Welland Regiment which is seen in the lower right of the photo.
This Kangaroo is either one used by the Headquarters section, or one of 10 "defrocked Priests" used as cargo carriers - note the cribbing added around the rear deck.
I seem to remember someone pointed out that there might be a second Priest behind the first one, if you zoom in on the picture.
Attached Thumbnails
PriestiePriest.jpg  
Old 30-03-22, 13:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex van de Wetering View Post
I seem to remember someone pointed out that there might be a second Priest behind the first one, if you zoom in on the picture.
Why did I bring this up?....... ........as I can't seem to remember where I read this. It might have been on one of the scale modelling forums, but I can't seem to find it no matter how hard I try!

In stead I tried to replicate what I remember. It seems the picture Hanno scanned for the Sherman Register website is somewhat clearer than the one available through the public archives online. I played around with the picture in photoshop in attempt to make it clearer. I am indeed convinced there is another M7 behind the first one....you can see the pullpit and the front armour with the antenna mount. It looks like a crew member is sitting on top of the front armor, just above the hatch, possibly lighting a sigaret or something.

http://web.inter.nl.net/users/spoels...acr/m7_07.html
Attached Thumbnails
Priest00.jpg   Priest01.jpg   Priest02.jpg   Priest03.jpg  

Last edited by Alex van de Wetering; 30-03-22 at 13:14.
Old 31-03-22, 03:52
Terry Warner

Default cargo

As I read the new regimental history of the Sherbrooke Fusilier Regiment, there are three vehicles mentioned all the time - 75mm Shermans, Fireflies and Stuarts. The echelon is almost never described, except in terms of the support they provided. Not the author's fault, just the emphasis of the War Diaries and sources.

Other passing mentions are the regiment's antiaircraft tanks, the artillery observer's tank, the Armoured Recovery Vehicle or ARV, and tracked ammunition carriers. Your M7 fits the purpose of the last type, namely mobile enough to follow the armour and common enough to be easily serviced. The Canadians by late 1944, the Canadian formations had enough experience and savoir faire to know what they wanted and willingly find it. Someone winked and pressed his arguments to the Ordnance Corps officer, who looked at the vehicles in his lines, and wondered how he was going to keep repositioning them as the battle moved. The M7s weren't required, so if someone was foolish enough to want them, let him have them.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!