MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 05-04-18, 23:40

Default Cab11/12 Chev inner fender panel measurements?

Did anyone ever draw up plans for the two panels displayed in the pictures?

Both are missing on my C8; one is the C-shaped panel that goes around the steering shaft/box....and I think is the same as used on C15 and others in the series. It should be easy enough to make.
The other is the front-most part of the left inner fender......there might be some difference between C8, C15 etc....I am not sure. Apart from that corner I am also interested to know how far the horizontal piece extends toward the rad and engine....(the piece that is bent 90 degrees and welded to the inside of the missing piece and inner fender part)

Alex
Attached Thumbnails
C-shape.jpg   panel.jpg  
Old 06-04-18, 17:00

Default C-Panel

Steering box plate off my C15, which may help. I can't help with the fender plate though.

Owen.
Attached Thumbnails
WP_20180406_15_31_07_Rich.jpg   WP_20180406_15_32_33_Rich.jpg  
1936 Opel Olympia
MVPA # 39159
MVT # 19406
Old 06-04-18, 21:24

Owen,

That's a great help. I tried printing out a 1:1 print of your second picture, but I might have scaled it a little, as there is a small difference with what I can read on the tape measure. Just for verifcation; is the overall size 7-3/4 x 5-3/4 x 4-3/4?
By the way....is it fixed with normal nut and bolt to the inner fender panel?, as I don't see any captive nuts on my inner fender.

Thanks Owen!

Alex
Old 07-04-18, 12:51

Default C Plate

Alex,

I make it 7-31/32 x 5-25/32 x 4-7/8. If you PM me your address, I could trace round the plate on a sheet of paper and post to you? That way, you get the size/shape/position of the cut-out too.

No captive nuts on mine either. So normal nut & bolt.

Owen.
1936 Opel Olympia
MVPA # 39159
MVT # 19406
Old 09-04-18, 02:50

Measurements (inches) and photos of one of Bob Carriere's parts. Only one hole had a screw in it but all three look similar size, no cage nuts seen on this part.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC04243.jpg   DSC04249.jpg   DSC04248.jpg  
Old 09-04-18, 04:22

Default ???????????

Hi Alex..... not sure what you are asking......????

The other is the front-most part of the left inner fender......there might be some difference between C8, C15 etc....I am not sure. Apart from that corner I am also interested to know how far the horizontal piece extends toward the rad and engine....(the piece that is bent 90 degrees and welded to the inside of the missing piece and inner fender part)

Not sure if there is a difference between the arches of the C8...C15....C15a.... the inner fender pretty well follows the curve of the arch.

I have taken some measurements and photos from a parts vehicle with no engine ...it is a cab 12 C15a.

In your picture you have colored the front area in rust brown..... that section is spot welded to the side panel. Is it missing on yours??? Can you clarify what specific area you need measuring.....

Here are some photos and can take more if needed.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
aaaIMG_0937textrez.jpg   bIMG_0955textrez.jpg   cccIMG_0977textrez.jpg   ddddIMG_0978textrez.jpg  
Canada
Old 10-04-18, 16:01

Owen, Grant, Bob,

Thanks for all your excellent info! Attached is a picture of the C-panel I fabricated according to your measurements. I think I still have to tweak the 3 holes a little, though!

Bob, your measurements are a great help. I agree....the panels might be a bit different between C8, C15, C15A etc., but I think the hole position and overall size is the same.
My C8 only came with the rearmost inner fender part...the biggest section that fills about 120degrees of the area under the fender. I recently got the mid section from Stefan at LWD. It's not C8 though, so it will require some modification and fabrication of the frontmost part. I have had it blasted in the meantime (picture attached). The holes seems to line up with the arch bars and existing inner fender part. I think I will have to cut the lower folded section from the panel, to get a straight edge, just like the section to the right.

Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Panel.jpg   Inner fender.jpg  
Old 10-04-18, 17:37

Default Minor differences.....

Hi Alex

Minor differences due to he arches sitting somewhat lower on the frame of the C8.

I still maintain that you cannot do a cab 11 without having a few spare parts trucks to rob or copy from.

Mind you all the trucks I have are rusted in the same place so all the inner fender box panels, the one that traps dirt over the arches are/were rusted and had to be fabricated or seriously patched.

At the bottom of the side panel the C15a has a small panel that closes the gap between fender and frame andthe part over rides the frame has a canvass strap riveted....do you have that on the C8?? I used canvass straps cut to size.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
aaaaaaaIMG_0977t.jpg  
Canada
Old 10-04-18, 18:01

Quote:
a canvass strap riveted....do you have that on the C8??
Yes, the right hand side panel does have the rivets for the canvas, so I presume the panel on the left will also have had the canvas webbing. I wil try to post a picture later.
I also note the funnels for the vents in one of your pictures. I fabricated those last week....what a pain! It seems the small hose between the funnels and inner cab panel/vent was also made of something canvas-ish (?)....what do you think? A rubber hose would probably work, but I wonder what the original material would have been.

Alex
Old 10-04-18, 18:45

Default Tubing.....

Hi Alex

The tubing is canvass wrapped around a steel coil...... was very common in cars of the 50s for heater vents and defrosters in cars....now of course all is made from plastic.

A number of restoration suppliers still offers the product but you have o find the right diameter, which I can't recall but can measure for you, held in place by light weight hose clamps. Careful if you order as they usually have a minimum length they will sell and all you really need is about 6 inches. They are not very visible once installed and any kind of tubing or large radiator hose would do. Mind you the real issue is how well they line up between the funnel and the neck of the fender...... typical in my case they were slightly offset so the flexible canvas tube worked better for me.

Phil Waterman had to make is own as well... I had a few pairs to choose from and some had rust pit holes which I sealed with POR.

As to their actual cooling efficiency... it's a joke on a hot Summer day.

You might want to consider using painted rolled up cardboard ......

Cheers
Canada
Old 10-04-18, 19:25

Similar material is used in aircraft. If you have a contact in aircraft maintenance, they may be able to let you have a couple of short lengths removed from service.... Another source is http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/ap/ducting.html
Old 10-04-18, 23:14

Ah, that explains the remains of the thin wire wrapped around the old funnel! I have to see what's available here; I think most European cars at the time used cardboard duct, and obviously in metric size. I will need some 2,5inch hose.
Grant, that's a good idea! I have to check if I can fnd a similar firm here in Holland.

Attached are two pictures of the C8 right hand side inner fender panel. It shows the rivets that used to hold the canvas.

Alex
Attached Thumbnails
rivets1.jpg   rivets2.jpg  
Old 22-04-18, 13:39
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex van de Wetering View Post
Ah, that explains the remains of the thin wire wrapped around the old funnel! I have to see what's available here; I think most European cars at the time used cardboard duct, and obviously in metric size. I will need some 2,5inch hose.
Grant, that's a good idea! I have to check if I can fnd a similar firm here in Holland.
Alex, would this be an option? Available in sizes ranging from 60-500 mm.

https://www.rubberhuis.nl/product/277

They have hoses in other materials as well, search for "afzuigslang".

HTH,
Hanno

Name:  607.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  21.4 KB
Old 22-04-18, 15:30

Thanks Hanno.
I was looking at getting some here.
http://www.afzuigenventilatieslangen.nl/
It seems to be quite similar to the link Grant posted....hose used in aircraft and also for race cars. They also sell through a webshop and also just 1 meter in stead of 4.
I just can't make up my mind whether to choose black or the orange/brown stuff! The remains I found in my Chev are somewhat orange...but I am not sure if that's rust or the original colour of the hose. Black probably looks better though....

Alex