MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 20-11-09, 11:57

Default Field Place Mystery - Secret Bunker or Not?

Hi,

Was anyone involved with the RADAR station at Poling England as I beleive it was manned by Canadian Technicians? Below is a website showing an article regarding a country house near where I live.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/36118...bunker_exists/

There is supposed to be a underground bunker in the grounds that was used by the RAF with tunnels leading out, many people plus kids say that they have been down there just after the war but no one seems to be able to get proof.

So it's over to you.

Pam
Old 20-11-09, 13:34
Rick

Station X aka Bletchley Park is meant to have a secret tunnel leading from the grounds to the vicinity of the local pub. No one has ever found it!
Old 20-11-09, 13:40
HLIofC - Normandy Pl

Default Most of these "secret tunnels"

...are likely pipe chases to carry hot water from a central heating plant to the outbuildings.

too many carriers
too many rovers
not enough time.
(and now a BSA...)
(and now a Triumph TRW...)
Old 20-11-09, 23:39

Default Secret Tunnels

Hi,

Thank you for your ideas, but I doubt if the tunnels that are supposed to be here are anything to do with heating. The only buildings near by are barns and stables which only in later years have been converted.

Pam
Old 21-11-09, 01:26
a Canuck/Brit in Blighty

You can contact these people at http://www.subbrit.org.uk/

They document just about anything underground in Britain. Whilst there is nothing about your particular site on their website they might be able to find an answer. Many underground bunkers that were part of the "auxiliary units" are being reported these days. These people were the stay behind units that in case of German invasion would hide and then attack from the rear. Their bunkers were kept secret, even post war.
Old 21-11-09, 05:41
Terry Warner

So what? There is a rumour of a tunnel. There are tunnels under Parliament Hill in Ottawa, but they are nothing more that steam pipe passeges.

The old RAF and RCAF guys are leaving us by the dozens each week. And they aren't talking about RADAR. There is an old timer in my neighbourhood who has only recently come out to say he worked on RADAR in the war. They were strictly and mercilessly indoctrinated in the workings of secrecy and national security. He sees me in uniform, getting my boy from school, and he tells me little stories. But he'd never disclose which bases he was on or what was there.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 21-11-09, 21:26

Default stay behind bunkers

there is an old aux unit bunker a couple of miles away from me located in the woods...I have been down into it...steops down (steel bars fixed into bricks|) are still in good condition....bunk frame s and water tank still in there...I have tried to get it listed but nobody in authority is interested as the owners of the very big wood(insurance company) would rather the bunker is filled in...as regards secrecy all the old locals in the village new about it as early in the war years it was constructed by a RE unit who drank in the local pub!however none of the local home -guard chaps ever used it apart from the youngest member who was little more than a boy who was used as a mesenger/runner...it was originaly set up by a former famous actor Anthony Quale who commanded N0.23 Aux Unit here in the North...could it be a coincidence that our local SAS(V) Unit is also numbered 23.cheers malcolm