MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 31-01-06, 05:38

Default M151-A2 advice

I've found what appears to be a resplendent CF M151A2 and I'm considering purchasing it.
Since this would be my first foray into the world of military vehicles, I thought I'd ping this forum for advice on "what to look for" as far as problems go.
According to the seller, it's been completely restored from the ground up, is in its "militarized" config., fully functional and comes with a military trailer.
I've done a touch of research and was horrified to discover that our govn't was literally quartering these jeeps. If that is the case, is the frame on this rig likely to be a "reweld" or did some escape the torch?
Any, and I mean ANY advice/info would be appreciated.
Peter
Old 31-01-06, 10:53
MLU Administrator

Peter,

Yes, the M151A2 or "74 Pattern Jeep" was to be demilitarized when disposed by the Canadian government. A number somehow escaped the torching or crushing - an example can be found here. But, if you are new to the M151-series jeeps, I would throughly research them to prevent being surprised - http://www.g503.com/forums/ is a good place to start.

Good luck,
regards,
Hanno
Canadian M151 series jeeps
Old 31-01-06, 19:25

Default Thanks!

I'll check it out.
Old 23-02-06, 21:01

hello peter

i have an ex canadian m151a2 and i think it's a pretty decent vehicle, handles well, and is generally a pleasure to drive. mine was a victim of the torch, but has been re welded properly. the best advice i can give you is to crawl underneath and have a real good look at where the body tub is spot welded to the uni frame, the cross members, and the suspension attachment points at the body. rust is one of the biggest problems with these vehicles, and the last thing one needs is four wheels with nothing between. if you find some rust, but feel it is in sound condition you do have an option. A.M. General produced an under body reinforcement kit which can be spot welded to the existing uni frame once the rust is cut away, but you'll have to look in the U.S. for one. best of luck, and keep us informed on the situation

cheers!!
mike
Old 23-02-06, 23:50
Derek Heuring

Default Re: M151-A2 advice

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter von Sass
Any, and I mean ANY advice/info would be appreciated.
You'll want to make sure it has the ROPS kit (roll over prevention system) installed. As far as I know all Canadian M151A2's had the kit but I'd double check anyway.

CHIMO!
Old 24-02-06, 04:00

Default Thanks

The deal is dead for the moment, but the advice is appreciated all the same. Cheers!
Old 24-02-06, 20:00

hi peter

i'm not sure where you are located, but there is one for sale in new brunswick, it's a reweld, but done quite perfessionally. the asking price was $5500.00 last fall. if you are interested i can get the contact information.

cheers!!
mike
Old 25-02-06, 02:07

Default Thnaks again!

Thanks again for the message.
I'm located in Calgary, AB. The unit I was looking at was uncut and located in Vancouver. My plan was to pick it up this summer and drive it back home - doesn't really work all that well from NB.
I appreciate the consideration nevertheless. If you're at all interested in this rig, let me know and I'll be happy to put you in touch with the seller.