MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 15-10-14, 02:34

Default Camp Picton, ON - CMP - about 1946?

The photos aren't labelled, but I think these were taken of Camp Picton around June 1946 when it was home base for anti-aircraft batteries and an artillery school. I believe the camp was previously used for the Commonwealth Air Training Program during WW2 and that, after the artillery moved, it became home to a battalion of the Canadian Guards.
Attached Thumbnails
Army 009.jpg   Army 010.jpg   Army 011.jpg  
Old 15-10-14, 20:13

Default RCAF Station Picton

just so you know it's all still there like a time capsule , Robin is close , maybe he can post some current photos
Old 16-10-14, 23:40
Brian Mendes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon McGrath View Post
The photos aren't labelled, but I think these were taken of Camp Picton around June 1946 when it was home base for anti-aircraft batteries and an artillery school. I believe the camp was previously used for the Commonwealth Air Training Program during WW2 and that, after the artillery moved, it became home to a battalion of the Canadian Guards.
I have been searching for years for a photo similar to the one on the right. It is a view of the School of Anti Aircraft Artillery, quite possibly at Point Petrie where the practice firing range was located. The cabins with the antennas on a tower are ZPI units of the GL III (c) gunlaying radar. The two units in the middleground are almost certainly the APF cabins with the twin dish antennas lowered to the travelling position. There are at least two power generators in view. The radar to the right looks like an MZPI..aka AA radar No 4 Mk 6. The tents very likely covered the fire control predictors and plotting tables.

Last edited by alamotex; 17-10-14 at 00:27. Reason: MZPI was Canadian not British
Old 20-10-14, 06:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by alamotex View Post
I have been searching for years for a photo similar to the one on the right.
I'll check if there are others in my dad's old photos, but I think this is the only such photo I have. I am aware there is a book on the history of Camp Picton, "Camp Picton - Wartime to Peacetime" by Ian S. Robertson ISBN 978-0-9683-10906090 by local (to Picton) publishers, but I have no knowledge of other photos it includes. I think the book focuses more on the camp's time as a air base. Jon