MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 16-08-18, 04:42

Default How often to run the engine in a Centurion?

Hi, as I've mentioned in a few other posts, we plan on getting our Centurion up and running and I've had great advice here. So I have another question. I've seen and heard from various quarters how important it is to regularly run the Meteor engine to keep it in good health but I'm wondering about the reasons for this.

Let me just say, my experience generally (ie not Centurion specific) is either start a vehicle up and run/drive it long enough and at high enough rpm to get it up to temperature, circulate lots of oil, and charge the batteries, or don't run it at all, just bar it or crank it over and keep the batteries charged. I don't like just starting and idling an gasoline engine for a short time (or even a long time) because of fuel and moisture buildup in the cylinders and oil, plug fouling, etc.

So is it necessary to run the Meteor engine regularly and if so, how often and for how long? The tank will be regularly exercised in our spring and summer months but come November, we have a long winter season until May. What are the risks of not running the engine over this period, bearing in mind we will keep the batteries charged and the tank will be indoors with the temperature kept above about 10 deg C?
I've heard piston/ring seizing is a problem. Why is that? Is it rings sticking in the grooves, or rings sticking to the bores?
Thanks,
Malcolm