MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > BUY, TRADE or SELL > For Sale Or Wanted

Notices

Old 27-04-13, 08:11
C. Thompson

Default Lend Lease Chev rim and tyres in AUS

Hi All,

Anyone in the land of Aus have a spare rim (split) and roadworthy tyres they are willing to let go to suit a Chev Lend Lease truck 700x20 10 ply?

They're like the proverbial rocking horse

Cheers
Chris
Old 27-04-13, 09:42

Default tyres

got some here, some with tyres, take your pick but it,s a long way unless someone going thru. can email pic,s but currently can,t post here.
Old 01-05-13, 16:41

The L/L Chev 20" wheel as I know it is not a split rim Chris it uses a lock ring. I should be able to come up with a wheel and tyre if your still interested.

I am at Woodend, half way between Melbourne and Bendigo.

David
Old 02-05-13, 01:49
Lionel G. Evans

Quote:
Originally Posted by motto View Post
The L/L Chev 20" wheel as I know it is not a split rim Chris it uses a lock ring. I should be able to come up with a wheel and tyre if your still interested.

I am at Woodend, half way between Melbourne and Bendigo.

David
G'day David,

Just checking whether the "lock ring" is AKA the "Suicide rim"? As in notorious for taking out anyone in close proximity to them if the appropriate safety protocols are not used while taking them off.

Kind Regards
Lionel
Series III ex-Military Land Rovers x 2
Old 02-05-13, 03:35

Default Suicide rim or ring?

This reminds me of Sigfried who was the head of KAOS in the Get Smart series. He wore what he referred to as a suicide ring. If he took it off his wife would kill him.

No Lionel, The lock ring I'm referring to is not the one with the lethal reputation. These are a complete circle one piece ring that has to be sprung on over the wheel lip with a sledge hammer or facsimile thereof. Once in place they cannot come off and it can be a battle to remove them.

The GMC CCKW 6x6 used the same arrangement on all 600,000 or so trucks built with 11 or 12 wheels per truck and I've yet to hear of one coming off on its own. Mind you, this did not stop the QLD road transport people from knocking back a batch of these wheels one of our surplus dealers sold into that state. Nothing wrong with the wheels, just some pen pusher didn't fancy the look of them.

David
Old 02-05-13, 05:12
Lionel G. Evans

Quote:
This reminds me of Sigfried who was the head of KAOS in the Get Smart series. He wore what he referred to as a suicide ring. If he took it off his wife would kill him.

No Lionel, The lock ring I'm referring to is not the one with the lethal reputation. These are a complete circle one piece ring that has to be sprung on over the wheel lip with a sledge hammer or facsimile thereof. Once in place they cannot come off and it can be a battle to remove them.

The GMC CCKW 6x6 used the same arrangement on all 600,000 or so trucks built with 11 or 12 wheels per truck and I've yet to hear of one coming off on its own. Mind you, this did not stop the QLD road transport people from knocking back a batch of these wheels one of our surplus dealers sold into that state. Nothing wrong with the wheels, just some pen pusher didn't fancy the look of them.

David
Hello David,

I am lucky as I do have the suicide rims on my 1940 MCP Chevy. I took a wheel to get the tyre off to one of the local tyre places. Despite the safety cage for these suicide rims being next to the place the tyre person was working they just rolled the tyre onto the ground and commenced work. I walked at a rapid pace to my car and said that I would be back in a couple of hours. Then I promptly drove away.

I once worked in an abattoir with a former tyre fitter who wore a thick bushy beard and the part of his face not covered by hair featured a tracery of white scars. The result of the incorrect procedure for taking one of the suicide ring/rims off.

Do you have a photograph of the locking ring you mentioned that you can post up as I cannot picture them?

Kind Regards
Lionel
Old 02-05-13, 09:35
Tony Baker

Quote:

I like that, very much.
Old 06-05-13, 04:16

Default Wheel Photos

Hi Lionel

I have difficult posting photos but there are some good ones of wheels and lock rings on the G503 forum.

If you can bring up the G503 board index, scroll down to "Other MV's US"

Click on "Trucks 1/2 Ton Thru 2 Ton"

Click on "Progress on G-506 Wheels and Tires" Page 2

Scroll down to wheel and lock ring photos.

These photos give a good view of the wheel with its groove and the full circle lock ring.

Look closely at the lock rings, (you may be able to enlarge the pictures), and you will see a narrow land or ledge around the inner circumference. As you follow this ledge away from the notch for the pinch bar removal tool you will see that the ledge narrows to nothing then reappears again. These relieved areas are what make it possible to install and remove the rings.

The wheels pictured are for the 1-1/2 ton Chev 4x4 "Yanky Joe" and are the same as GMC and Stude 6x6's. The L/L Chev has a different stud pattern but the lock ring works the same.

David
Old 06-05-13, 11:04
C. Thompson

Hi All,

Thanks for picking up that thread. Bob, thanks for the offer and may consider organising transport. Thankfully since posting last, I came across 2 tyres on Gumtree in WA and they are being carried across the country as I write.

I also found a great photo of a 6th Division truck convoy in North Africa showing one of the dual wheels removed and thought, hey, save the bother and do what they did during the war for highway use
Attached Images

Old 06-05-13, 13:12
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Hi,Chris. While I don't doubt that there were many innovative methods to conserve scarce rubber resources, you'll find those trucks are early 30cwt Chevs that only had the single rears, albeit on offset "dual" type wheels.

If David Hayward were still here with us, he could direct us to his thread with plenty of pics of these trucks. Unfortunately, the search function requires words/terms with a minimum of 5 characters, so "Chev", "30 Cwt", or "1940", etc do not help! I can't find it.

Last edited by Tony Smith; 06-05-13 at 13:33.
Old 08-05-13, 02:40

Default Lock Ring info

For Lionel or anybody else that wants to know a bit about the lock ring as used on L/L Chev, Yankee Joe, GMC and Stude 6x6 etc the G503 thread referred to in my previous post actually has a good explanation on page 1 that I had overlooked.

David
Old 11-05-13, 02:36
Lionel G. Evans

Quote:
Hi Lionel

I have difficult posting photos but there are some good ones of wheels and lock rings on the G503 forum.

If you can bring up the G503 board index, scroll down to "Other MV's US"

Click on "Trucks 1/2 Ton Thru 2 Ton"

Click on "Progress on G-506 Wheels and Tires" Page 2

Scroll down to wheel and lock ring photos.

These photos give a good view of the wheel with its groove and the full circle lock ring.

Look closely at the lock rings, (you may be able to enlarge the pictures), and you will see a narrow land or ledge around the inner circumference. As you follow this ledge away from the notch for the pinch bar removal tool you will see that the ledge narrows to nothing then reappears again. These relieved areas are what make it possible to install and remove the rings.

The wheels pictured are for the 1-1/2 ton Chev 4x4 "Yanky Joe" and are the same as GMC and Stude 6x6's. The L/L Chev has a different stud pattern but the lock ring works the same.

David
G'day David,

Thank you very much for the link about the tyres.

Damn that is another Military Vehicle forum to look at and the feature vehicle in the thread is a really nice looking rig too!

I will take some photographs of my rims and post them up.

Kind Regards
Lionel

Last edited by Lionelgee; 11-05-13 at 02:47.