MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 01-11-06, 19:18

Default Politcal correctness gone mad!

I don't normally post these sort of things but after hearing the most absurd ruling on the radio this morning I could not contain myself.
Here goes.

A local council in I think the north of England has banned its' employees from using the term "Polically Correct" as it is not Politically Correct to use it!

I am sure other posters have come across similar ridiculous rulings.

Did you know that you are not allowed to used blackboards and chalk in schools. White boards and colour markers are allowed. What is the difference!

The term "nitty gritty" is not allowed in colleges as it refers to slave ships.

The list goes on and on.
There must be people who are paid tens of thousands of pounds by councils and other such bodies, to sit and think of these things.
What the hell is the matter with this country.
Get a life and get real!

Cheers
Kevin

Old 01-11-06, 19:50

Thumbs up With you

Kevin

I'm with you

This rates along with the local council somewhere in this poor miss directed land of ours that has employed people in cherry pickers to remove Conkers from the tress so they don't fall and hurt people or worst still kids get hold of them and play Conkers

Pete PTO&G with Bar for political correctness

PS are you out R you must have a view on this
Old 01-11-06, 20:29

Default Conkers.

Hello Pete,

Yes I believe that was Birmingham City council the kids can thank for that.
Don't forget the council that had pears removed from trees and I believe some cordoned off so they would not fall on people.
Isaac Newton would turn in his grave!

By the way did not understand your PS. I hope it was PC.

Cheers
Kevin
Old 01-11-06, 20:43
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Re: With you

Quote:
Originally posted by Pete Ashby
Indubitably... he seems to have one on everything else, so I'd be greatly surprised to see him sitting this one out...
Old 01-11-06, 21:27
Bluebell

Default P.C.

Some years back I cut an article from the local paper. It said that the Greater London district council had decided under pressure to change the colours of it's rubbish bags from black and that the schools in that area were directed to teach the kids to sing " Baa Baa Green Sheep"........... I kid you not!

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 01-11-06, 21:28
Mr. HUP

Default One Upman(oops! UpPerson)ship

Politically correct gone amok:

From the Hockey centre of the universe and our Capital city, street hockey was banned in some neighbourhoods. Seems the issue relates to children making noise whilst enjoying themselves in a physical activity. This apparently was too much for the local windbags. One could possibly accept this garbage if the risk was related to traffic problems (if you can't dodge a Dodge, you shouldn't be playing hockey). But no! It is a noise issue.

In the same vein, City Council banned three-on-three basketball on city basketball courts - seems that the lads got "competitive".

I guess it is better having lazy, fat kids bored out of their skulls than having fit, competitive team players...

I hope common sense prevails in the next election and we get a majority government that abolishes the Senate, slaughters the Liberal sacred cows and gives us working folks the tax breaks we deserve, instead of lavishing $$ on the lazy and hyphenated types.

Last edited by RHClarke; 08-11-06 at 00:42.
Old 01-11-06, 21:34
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Re: One Upman(oops! UpPerson)ship

Quote:
Originally posted by RHClarke
Politically correct gone amok:

From the Hockey centre of the universe and our Capital city, street hockey was banned in some neighbourhoods. Seems the issue relates to children making noise whilst enjoying themselves in a physical activity. This apparently was too much for the local windbags. One could possibly accept this garbage if the risk was related to traffic problems (if you can't dodge a Dodge, you shouldn't be playing hockey). But no! It is a noise issue.

In the same vein, City Council banned three-on-three basketball on city basketball courts - seems that the lads got "competitive".

I guess it is better having lazy, fat kids bored out of their skulls than having fit, competitive team players...

I hope commons sense prevails in the next election and we get a majority government that abolishes the Senate, slaughters the Liberal sacred cows and gives us working folks the tax breaks we deserve, instead of lavishing $$ on the lazy and hyphenated types.
WEll said,RH...And I expect to see you partaking of physical activity and strenthening your elbow at Gracies tomorrow evening...
How's the body count??
And is it still a go..??
I'm in..
PS and don't forget...The big hand is on 12...and the little hand is on 5...
Old 01-11-06, 22:13
Mr. HUP

Default Mickey's Big Hand

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex Blair
How's the body count??
And is it still a go..??
I'm in..
PS and don't forget...The big hand is on 12...and the little hand is on 5...
No change to the body count. It is still a go. I, too, will be "in" exercising the elbow and jawbone. I need a break from cubicle hell.

Thanks for the time clarification, I couldn't find the 17 on my watch.
Old 02-11-06, 04:28
Richard Notton

Quote:
Indeed so.

The whole PC scenario is promoted by mis-guided do-gooders and funded by those least able to afford their money going to the National Lottery.

The whole thing is a heap of ordure being crapped on by the brain-washed, modern and trendy few.

Bollocks to the lot of it. (Capital B, two l's)

R.
Old 07-11-06, 22:35

I think all you fellow posters of a like mind will enjoy the following site:

http://www.sterlingtimes.co.uk/
Old 08-11-06, 01:34
Richard Notton

Default Re: Politcal correctness gone mad!

Quote:
Originally posted by kevinT
I don't normally post these sort of things but after hearing the most absurd ruling on the radio this morning I could not contain myself.
Here goes.

A local council in I think the north of England has banned its' employees from using the term "Polically Correct" as it is not Politically Correct to use it!
I quote: "The term political correctness was coined in 1988 by John O'Sullivan III, who was a member of the Ku Klux Klan. He was making an after dinner speech complaining about how Black Americans were being allowed to take the jobs traditionally reserved for the white majority because of a wave of political correctness.

Since then the phrase political correctness has almost universally been used to decry changes which aim to prevent offensive behaviour."

See:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1766

R.
Old 08-11-06, 19:53

Quote:
This rates along with the local council somewhere in this poor miss directed land of ours that has employed people in cherry pickers to remove Conkers from the tress so they don't fall and hurt people or worst still kids get hold of them and play Conkers

I think it is more to prevent the kids climbing the trees or throwing objects into the trees to knock down the conkers.
Several children are seriously injured by falls in the conker season and there are even fatalities.

The oft mentioned Ba Ba Blacksheep 'chestnut' mentioned elsewhere is long exposed as a newspaper invention.
Old 08-11-06, 23:08

Default Re: Re: With you

Quote:
Originally posted by m kenny
I think it is more to prevent the kids climbing the trees or throwing objects into the trees to knock down the conkers.
Several children are seriously injured by falls in the conker season and there are even fatalities.
Ah yes climbing trees..... I'm sorry I don't know your first name m kenny

When I was a kid growing up surrounded by estate woodland we all climbed trees and were taught by older brothers or sisters which trees were OK and how to recognise a rotten branch and what would happen if you stood on it. We also learnt to make and shoot long bows from Holly staffs and brown string and as we got older to become proficient with an air rifle and then a shotgun the climbing trees bit then came in useful dodging the keeper. Mine was a standard country childhood in a small Berkshire village nothing special and the same as millions of others of my generation and millions before us. Somehow in this hi tech 21C world it has all become unbelievably dangerous so that the activities above would result in me being put into a form of juvenile care and my loving parents who encouraged me in all these pursuits (with the exception of the poaching) being imprisoned for neglect.. They both strongly believed that these things taught independence, self reliance and a responsibility, all traits that seem by all accounts to be sadly lacking in the majority of children today in this country. To such an extent that I listened to a radio interviewer conducting a serious debate last week examining the reasons why today’s parents appear to be freighted of their own children.

If the keeper had caught us he would have administered quick justice on the spot with his stick and when we got home we would have had another dose from our parents. It was expected and accepted, cause and effect, not so now I fear.

I note and acknowledge your point about a small number of fatalities, indeed as a child I was once in hospital for a week or two and the lad in the next bed had broken his leg and both arms falling out of a tree. But this is the point of this…………….it's a matter of perspective there are more children killed by domestic violence and motor cars than have ever fallen out of trees.

I have encouraged both my children to climb trees, shoot bows, air guns and rifles, drive anything on wheels or tracks and not be afraid to try anything and respect other people and their views and above all else be responsible for their actions.
Although I say so myself they have turned out just fine and at 20 and 21 are happy to travel the world don’t do drugs don’t smoke do enjoy a drink but don’t then go and mug somebody or smash the place up,………… oh and my son is a pretty fair shot to boot.

Hmmm right bit of a rant there….. and not directed at you m keeny ………..but no apologies either I’m afraid. I’ve been building up a head of steam on this for some time all you did was push the button.

This is the sort of thing that will eventually drive me out of my own country where my forbears have lived for at least a thousand years and turn me into one of those angry old B### who live out the last of their days in exile

Angry old Git of Oxford
:dh:
Old 09-11-06, 00:01
Richard Notton

Default Re: Re: Re: With you

Quote:
Ah yes climbing trees..... I'm sorry I don't know your first name m kenny

When I was a kid growing up surrounded by estate woodland we all climbed trees . . . . . .

We also learnt to make and shoot long bows from Holly staffs and brown string and as we got older to become proficient with an air rifle and then a shotgun the climbing trees bit then came in useful dodging the keeper.

Mine was a standard country childhood. . . . . .

They both strongly believed that these things taught independence, self reliance and a responsibility, all traits that seem by all accounts to be sadly lacking in the majority of children today in this country. . . . . . .

If the keeper had caught us he would have administered quick justice on the spot with his stick and when we got home we would have had another dose from our parents. It was expected and accepted, cause and effect, not so now I fear.

I have encouraged both my children to climb trees, shoot bows, air guns and rifles, drive anything on wheels or tracks and not be afraid to try anything and respect other people and their views and above all else be responsible for their actions.
Me too, except early childhood was near Cambridge; in other respects I have grown up (and old) likewise, nothing broken, impaled, shot away or otherwise damaged and inoperable as a carbon based, bio-chemical work unit is designed.

Quote:
Although I say so myself they have turned out just fine and at 20 and 21 are happy to travel the world don’t do drugs don’t smoke do enjoy a drink but don’t then go and mug somebody or smash the place up,………… oh and my son is a pretty fair shot to boot.
Mine too, one police girly (back-room, non uniform) via college taught rock bass performer, studio engineer, roadie/guitar tech for John Whetton, post girlie, police. The other via university business degree, equestrian teaching cert, personal trainer cert, carer cert, Tri-athlete, radio programmer and mini-bus driver. Oh both have full UK motorbike licences too.

Quote:
Hmmm right bit of a rant there….. and not directed at you m keeny ………..but no apologies either I’m afraid. I’ve been building up a head of steam on this for some time all you did was push the button.
I was expected as much. Your button was faster than mine. . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Quote:
This is the sort of thing that will eventually drive me out of my own country where my forbears have lived for at least a thousand years and turn me into one of those angry old B### who live out the last of their days in exile
Me too.
I don't see the national outbreak of common sense coming anytime soon.
Quote:
Angry old Git of Oxford
Angry older Git of Shirrell Heath.

R.
Old 10-11-06, 09:31

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: With you

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Notton
I was expected as much. Your button was faster than mine. . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Me too.
I don't see the national outbreak of common sense coming anytime soon.

Angry older Git of Shirrell Heath.

R.
I have a cunning plan R

we must talk that nice chap Winnnington-Ball into finding us a little bit of his vast country.

Then like minded Brits could emigrate to spend our lives climbing trees and restoring all those rusty old CMP's that the indigenous population seem to have carelessly discarded or lost around their pleasant green land........... oh and play conkers of course............. but only in season.... jolly bad form otherwise.

Pete PTO&G with Aspirations

PS Do you have conker trees in Canada ?
Old 10-11-06, 09:37
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: With you

Quote:

PS Do you have conker trees in Canada ?
Yes we have conker (horse chestnuts) trees in Canada Definately in BC, but don't know what other Provinces have them.

Ma Yappy
Old 10-11-06, 14:50

Default Ah yes...childhood...

Reading some of the bow and arrow comments makes me think back to my youth, when I spent summer days shooting a bow and arrow at a friend's place...and this in the middle of the city of Hamilton. Very urban, we were in his front yard and had the target nailed to a tree. No one said anything, and we certainly never had any trouble. Thinking back, I can't believe adults actually let us do this (we had no back stop or anything else to stop an errant arrow, of which there was many hehe)

And hell, I'm only 29, so it's not like my childhood was THAT long ago, but amazing how things can be night and day different in only 20 years. Wow....

Also remember the joys of visiting my grandmother who had at least six great trees for climbing at her property, of which she and my parents were more than glad to let me climb. Never fell out, because I was smart enough to never climb too high, or sit on a branch too skinny.

Now that I've got two daughters, it amazes me just how insane parents really are. My oldest was dumb enough to slide headfirst down a slide at a park once, when one of the other mothers saw her doing this she went running ot help my daughter screaming "OH MY GOD, SHE'S GOING DOWN HEAD FIRST!!!" Wasn't even her kid, and my wife and I both told her to relax, she's fine, she does it all the time. A great example of the over-protectiveness that is out there nowadays. Try finding a park anywhere now that has any play structures higher than six feet as well. We wouldn't want a kid to fall and learn not to do somethin dumb now, would we?

Love the memories... hehehe....

Tim
Old 10-11-06, 23:22
Richard Notton

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: With you

Quote:
I have a cunning plan R
I'll get to this (again. . .) in a while Pete old boy.

My demeanour was not overly enhanced by spending some time coaxing the grey cells into a semblance of word-smithing activity and then laboriously pecking at the keyboard with two fingers, as I do, to then be presented with the following when finally pressing the preview button:

Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Can't connect to local
MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (111) in
/home/mlu/public_html/forums/admin/db_mysql.php on line 40

There seems to have been a slight problem with the database.
Please try again by pressing the refresh button in your browser.

An E-Mail has been dispatched to our Technical Staff, who you can also
contact if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, that's alright then, only a "slight problem" in loosing over a half hours work.

Pity I didn't dispatch the email, someone would have learned some new Anglo-Saxon words and if the "we" would like to come round here and apologise I'll see how inconvenienced they are after a gratuitious kick in the cod-piece.

If you think I'm not best pleased; you'd be absolutely right.

R.
Simmering in Shirrell Heath.
Old 10-11-06, 23:55
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Ah yes...childhood...

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Sullivan
Now that I've got two daughters, it amazes me just how insane parents really are. My oldest was dumb enough to slide headfirst down a slide at a park once, when one of the other mothers saw her doing this she went running ot help my daughter screaming "OH MY GOD, SHE'S GOING DOWN HEAD FIRST!!!" Wasn't even her kid, and my wife and I both told her to relax, she's fine, she does it all the time. A great example of the over-protectiveness that is out there nowadays. Try finding a park anywhere now that has any play structures higher than six feet as well. We wouldn't want a kid to fall and learn not to do somethin dumb now, would we?

Love the memories... hehehe....

Tim
Todays kids are being taught fragility, helplessness, dependence, and lack of self-sufficiency or responsibility and accountability and a false sense of entitlement. Even when the parents try to raise and teach them all the good stuff, PC others, enmasse, come down on them and force their standards on that family and winning over that kids perceptions of being "effed over" by those parents.

We're steamrollered by a force of bullying to give up any sense of self-sufficiency, self-responsibility, and self-accountability. Our kids are taught that others are responsible and accountable for their own wellbeing and safety because they are too weak and vulnerable, too lamebrained, to "get it" and think and learn to do this for themselves. The flip side, our kids also feel both overly and underly responsible for others in unrealistic ways.

Yeah ... this topic twigged a little frustration and bitterness, and yes, a little heartbreak in me about some of this stuff

It ain't over yet though ...
Old 11-11-06, 00:09

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: With you

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Notton

My demeanour was not overly enhanced by spending some time coaxing the grey cells into a semblance of word-smithing activity and then laboriously pecking at the keyboard with two fingers, as I do, to then be presented with the following when finally pressing the preview button:

If you think I'm not best pleased; you'd be absolutely right.

R.
Simmering in Shirrell Heath.
I say steady on there Old Boy............ Officers and Gentlemen don't yer know,..............I can see you are somewhat vexed dear fellow, I prescribe Holicks with two shots of Johnnie Walker that should do the trick.

By the bye what do you think of my jolly wheeze to populate the wilderness with free spirited chaps……. and gals of course?. But we shall need a name for our colony what should it be ???

Pete PT&G

Old 11-11-06, 00:18

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: With you

Quote:
But we shall need a name for our colony what should it be ???
Little Britain ? :idea:
Old 11-11-06, 00:28

Default Re: Re: Ah yes...childhood...

Quote:
Originally posted by Vets Dottir
Todays kids are being taught fragility, helplessness, dependence, and lack of self-sufficiency or responsibility and accountability and a false sense of entitlement. Even when the parents try to raise and teach them all the good stuff, PC others, enmasse, come down on them and force their standards on that family and winning over that kids perceptions of being "effed over" by those parents.

We're steamrollered by a force of bullying to give up any sense of self-sufficiency, self-responsibility, and self-accountability. Our kids are taught that others are responsible and accountable for their own wellbeing and safety because they are too weak and vulnerable, too lamebrained, to "get it" and think and learn to do this for themselves. The flip side, our kids also feel both overly and underly responsible for others in unrealistic ways.

Yeah ... this topic twigged a little frustration and bitterness, and yes, a little heartbreak in me about some of this stuff

It ain't over yet though ...
Ma

I’ve got nothing to add to this you have summed it up completely.

And yes as is my way, there is an element of tongue in check about some of my posts but I do feel really strongly about this topic.

I see a generation being wasted without hope and without direction and it makes me really sad and not a little despondent. As you have seen my kids are not part of this grey army of hopelessness but I fear they will be overwhelmed by a nanny state
that will legislate the last spark of independence and spirit out of them. I sit hear typing this beneath pictures of two generations of my family who fought in two world wars to preserve both freedom of speech and thought only to see it being wasted away like dry sand through the hands of politicians who don't give a dam.

We worry about climbing trees or playing conkers while there are factions at large who's stated aim is to destroy me and my children and the ideals that my Father and Grandfather fought for, it is a very strange world and one that to a large extent I am opting out of.

Pete
Old 11-11-06, 00:40

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: With you

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Farrant
Little Britain ? :idea:
Looks like you'd like to join us Richard,

Little Britain that smacks of what we are now....................... no I think it has to be more free spirited try again old bean.

Whoever wins can be King for a year then we vote for a new one, all jolly democratic in a benign dictatorial sort of way. There will be NO politicians.

by the way David is pestering me about that gantry body you mentioned on a K6 is it worth a look do think now the vegetation has died down ?

Pete
Old 11-11-06, 00:49
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Re: Ah yes...childhood...

Quote:
Ma

We worry about climbing trees or playing conkers while there are factions at large who's stated aim is to destroy me and my children and the ideals that my Father and Grandfather fought for, it is a very strange world and one that to a large extent I am opting out of.

Pete
Pete,

You're certainly not alone in how you think and feel about what you see happening. It really is heartbreaking. I'm a mother with two grown kids, and I hate to say I wasn't strong enough to fight back against all of these forces for my childrens benefits and wellbeing, and me and my daughters were put through and suffered lots for it. The good news is that they both have some spirited will and perspective in spite of the pressures. My youngest is especially more self-sufficient than I hoped. She's awesome. I haven't given up on our younger generations. Nor should anyone else. It ain't over yet

I love my daughters to pieces. I love them enough to not give in in some areas, and to persist.

Karmen
Old 11-11-06, 19:56

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: With you

Quote:
Looks like you'd like to join us Richard,

Whoever wins can be King for a year then we vote for a new one, all jolly democratic in a benign dictatorial sort of way. There will be NO politicians.

by the way David is pestering me about that gantry body you mentioned on a K6 is it worth a look do think now the vegetation has died down ?

Pete,

Sounds good to me, although the Great White North or thereabouts would not be my choice as my joints do not like the cold, prefer much further south, where they have "sheds full of shit" and plenty of sun

The idea of no pollies is great, so everyone can use common sense instead of being nannied.

Gantry body.....I did not see it, a friend spotted it at the back of the yard, worth going up for a look I reckon.....while it is still dry. Cannot be worse than the cab / chassis when you found that !

Richard