MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 31-03-13, 19:56

Default Just Another Chev...

Not sure if this, or Mil History is the best thread for this.

The current issue of Army Motors magazine (US MVPA quarterly magazine) has just come out, and it includes my article on a Chevrolet 3 tonner owned by Neil Harris in country NSW, Australia. Neil has an original and largely untouched Chev that was firstly an AIF vehicle, subsequently transferred to the AMF and used in the Alice Springs area. The article traces the 'evidence' from the vehicle, and draws certain conclusions about the Unit the vehicle served with.

Any MLU-ers reading the article (of course you are ALL members of the MVPA, aren't you???) are invited to comment about it via this means or directly by PM.

Mike C
Old 31-03-13, 20:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Cecil View Post
Not sure if this, or Mil History is the best thread for this.

The current issue of Army Motors magazine (US MVPA quarterly magazine) has just come out, and it includes my article on a Chevrolet 3 tonner owned by Neil Harris in country NSW, Australia. Neil has an original and largely untouched Chev that was firstly an AIF vehicle, subsequently transferred to the AMF and used in the Alice Springs area. The article traces the 'evidence' from the vehicle, and draws certain conclusions about the Unit the vehicle served with.

Any MLU-ers reading the article (of course you are ALL members of the MVPA, aren't you???) are invited to comment about it via this means or directly by PM.

Mike C
Hi Mike,
I was out there looking at it last week, and I know Neil was wondering if the article was out yet. Neither of us are MVPA members, although I once was.
The truck is very original and from the conditon we doubt that it went "up the track". I think you concluded it was used around the Alice base area.

regards, Richard

1943 Bedford QLD lorry - 1941 BSA WM20 m/cycle - 1943 Daimler Scout Car Mk2
Member of MVT, IMPS, MVG of NSW, KVE and AMVCS
KVE President & KVE News Editor
Old 01-04-13, 12:56
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

I'd like to read your article, Mike.

For the rest of us who aren't MVPA members, there are pics of the truck in question in the 2nd half of THIS THREAD.
Old 01-04-13, 17:19

Well, Tony, pity I didn't see that thread before I wrote the article!

We have come up with some slightly different conclusions - I came to the conclusion that it was not used on the North-South Road by a GT company, but in the Alice Springs area by an LofC Unit. Hence it's rather nice condition ('track' vehicles were invariably bashed, battered and worn pretty quickly).

PM me with your email address.

Mike C