MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 21-05-12, 09:37
Tony Baker

Default 9th Div.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Jo View Post
The 9th Division was the most highly decorated of the four AIF divisions raised during the war. Seven of its members received the Victoria Cross, the nation's highest award for gallantry.

My 1942 Willys Jeep also proudly displays the Tac Signs for 9 Div. And was well received by veterans of the 2/10th in this years Anzac Day March.
Tony,

My Father was transferred to 9th Division, after they had already returned from the Middle East. He fought in New Guinea only, because he was CMF. Was involved in some tight 'scraps' there, including Finschafen, Lae, Borneo, Port Moresby and Rabaul.

I learnt some interesting facts about his time there that he didn't mention while he was alive. Like a lot of the WWII old timers, he was the master of understatement!
Old 21-05-12, 11:02
Tony VAN RHODA

Default ( Div.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private_collector View Post
Tony,

My Father was transferred to 9th Division, after they had already returned from the Middle East. He fought in New Guinea only, because he was CMF. Was involved in some tight 'scraps' there, including Finschafen, Lae, Borneo, Port Moresby and Rabaul.

I learnt some interesting facts about his time there that he didn't mention while he was alive. Like a lot of the WWII old timers, he was the master of understatement!
Hi Tony

Amen to that.

LEST WE FORGET

Cheers

Tony
Old 23-05-12, 13:04
Tony Baker

Default Unit plate holder

Yesterday, I received a TAC plate holder that I had bought from ebay.

I knew that being a more modern version it would be too small to be accurate. So this morning I took it to a local steel fabricator to have two manufactured in the correct size, as well as two of the plates that fit into the holder. Should be ready for me by mid next week.

I already have the red paint for the background, but will need to re-visit a signwriting company for the numbering & letters. While the place I enquired about vehicle numbers was 'OK', I will try another local place for this project, so I can decide which one I get best service/price from.

Also bought a "Fast Moving Parts" catalog for Ford Canada vehicles from late 20s to late 40s. There is currently another seller with one of these on ebay, for buy it now of $125.00! Mine was significantly less It went all the way through a 9 day auction without bids, so I contacted seller once ended and made an offer

Is Australian seller and should arrive by the weekend.
Old 24-05-12, 11:01
Tony Baker

Default TAC Sign plates & Info plates for engine cover.

I received an unexpected telephone call this afternoon, advising that the two TAC plates & holders were ready for me to pick up. This was significantly quicker than thought. I only requested them yesterday morning.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sign plate new 1.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	49372
This is the second time I have dealt with Gympie Sheet Metal, and it won't be the last. Turnaround time has exceeded prediction both times and standard of work is faultless!

These ones are exactly the right size and will look great once finished. Since I now have these to play with, I might see if I can get the plates painted this weekend. Painting being: Red for unit side and truck color for the "PASS" side. I can't paint the frames yet, at least until I weld the brackets onto back of each one. That may occur Saturday, but if not, it won't happen this weekend at all because on Sunday we are going to the Pumpkin Festival, at Goomeri. Renown for the famous "Pumpkin Rolling" competition. Yeah I know....i'm laughing about it too . Still my Wife puts up with all things CMP so I can go to this thing every year, besides, there's a HUGE street market, lots of displays including vintage stationary engines and classic cars!!! It actually is a lot of fun............unless you are one of the hundreds of pumpkins that get rolled down the steep hill.........then it's pumpkin mash for you! Strange that they have the classic cars in line with the end of the hill though?!?!?!?

Name:	Info plates for engine cover 1.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	49373
Moving on, I received the info plates that go on the engine cover, that I had bought from David D. Bloody good condition they are too. I gave em a light tickle with some silvo and removed a small amount of age related soiling. The photo really doesn't do justice to em though. They are very nice. Thanks to Keith, I know the shift plate isn't 100% correct for the type of transfer case but I will attach this plate for now.

boom shanka!
Old 24-05-12, 17:22
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Attachment 49373
Moving on, I received the info plates that go on the engine cover, that I had bought from David D. Bloody good condition they are too. I gave em a light tickle with some silvo and removed a small amount of age related soiling. The photo really doesn't do justice to em though. They are very nice. Thanks to Keith, I know the shift plate isn't 100% correct for the type of transfer case but I will attach this plate for now.
That's great, but in Ford info plates for cab 13 you planned to have some reproduced? Please do so before you attach them to the wrong vehicle. As you know I am looking for a set of plates, and will seriously consider a set of reproductions.

Thanks in advance!

Hanno
Old 24-05-12, 22:34
Tony Baker

Default Hanno

Re: Info Plates

I think what you mean is that I am intending to reproduce copies from suitable originals.

The shift plate is not good enough for reproducing, while the lubrication and front drive plates could be, especially lube plate.

I have taken high resolution images of those & sent to several photo / etching companies. Not heard replies yet. In the meantime, they can rest on my engine cover, held with screws, for easy removal when required.

If the shift plate is what you are after, find me a good plate for me and i'll gladly swap it over!

P.S: As far as I know, only the shift plate is not correct for my truck?

Last edited by Private_collector; 25-05-12 at 10:48.
Old 25-05-12, 10:46
Tony Baker

Default Ford Fast Moving Parts Catalogue #1

Name:	fmc 01.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	49382 Click image for larger version

Name:	fmc 02.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	49383
My "Fast Moving Parts" catalogue arrived today. Covers in quite good condition, and inside pages don't look like any grease monkey has ever thumbed through it. It's a good inch & 1/4 thick.

Name:	fmc 03.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	49384
Looks like this is the company that originally owned it, and this stamp appears in a number of places throughout the catalogue!

Name:	fmc 04.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	49385 Click image for larger version

Name:	fmc 05.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	49386
No specific mention or diagrams of CMP, but lots of part 'interchangeability' evident. Part numbers written clearly and quite often has an accompanying line drawing or illistration.

Cont'd..
Old 25-05-12, 11:08
Tony Baker

Default Ford Fast Moving Parts Catalogue #2

Name:	fmc 06.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	49387 Click image for larger version

Name:	fmc 07.jpg
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	49388 Click image for larger version

Name:	fmc 08.jpg
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	49389
Here are some more pages from the catalogue.

Name:	fmc 10.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	49391 Click image for larger version

Name:	fmc 09.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	49390
This is the start of a lesson in how to read Ford part numbers.

I have dedicated the next (and final) post of the day, to all the specific instructions on reading part numbers.

Hopefully it may be helpful in some way.

Old 25-05-12, 11:22
Tony Baker

Default Reading Ford Part Catalogue Numbers

The following information is photographed from an original Ford Fast Moving Parts Catalogue, Canada, 1928 to 1949.

Name:	reading parts 1.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	49392

Name:	reading parts 2.jpg
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	49393

Name:	reading parts 3.jpg
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	49394

Name:	reading parts 4.jpg
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	49395

Name:	reading parts 5.jpg
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	49396

As the book says...........That's All, Fellas!
Old 26-05-12, 12:03
Tony Baker

Default Little Progress Today

As I spent morning and early afternoon in town, not much got done on the truck today.

Name:	bonnet & grille 3.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	49418
I did manage to get the bonnet / hood on the nose, using two small shims to raise the hinges slightly. The reason it looks to be sitting too high in the front is because it is sitting on a roll of tape to stop it from taking paint off front edge. The bolts holding cross piece of nose panel front hit against the bonnet. I will remove each one and whittle the head thickness down to about 2/3 of currect thickness. It won't hit then!

Name:	bonnet 3.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	49419
Can someone please tell me what these holes on upper cross piece of nose panel are for? I am hoping they are to take rubber grommets for bonnet to sit against! If they are, it will assist me greatly. If not.........crap, i'll have to find some other way of keeping bonnet still so it doesn't take more paint off.

Name:	bonnet 1.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	49420
I also made a little heat/acoustic shield for under bonnet. Not greatly concerned about heat there, but the added bulk should minimise 'drumming' of the sheet-metal.

Name:	bonnet 2.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	49421
Look at all the bloody paint I lost when first testing bonnet fit last weekend. It's the same on both sides too!

Name:	TAC plate bolts.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	49422
Had enough time in the bank to get the bolts welded onto back of the front TAC plate holder. Last night I was playing around on the computer, and narrowed down fonts for unit signage and 'PASS' sign.

More on that in next post...
Old 26-05-12, 12:41
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Holes

You are right, Tony those little holes are for rubber bumpers which you can still get from a good rubber supply company. Your insulation under the bonnet means you can't paint the nomenclature there - I think you'll find there's so much other noise a little drumming there is insignificant.

Quote:
As I spent morning and early afternoon in town, not much got done on the truck today.

Can someone please tell me what these holes on upper cross piece of nose panel are for? I am hoping they are to take rubber grommets for bonnet to sit against! If they are, it will assist me greatly. If not.........crap, i'll have to find some other way of keeping bonnet still so it doesn't take more paint off.
Attachment 49420
I also made a little heat/acoustic shield for under bonnet. Not greatly concerned about heat there, but the added bulk should minimise 'drumming' of the sheet-metal.
Attachment 49421

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 26-05-12, 12:51
Tony Baker

Default TAC unit & PASS design

After much playing around with different fonts, these are the ones which may suit. The military directions regarding font size and type are making it VERY hard to keep this historically accurate. When using the correct height and width of font for the unit numbers, it fills the entire plate, leaving bugger all space either side. And thats with a font that is still a little smaller than specified. This problem is due in no small part to the signage I need for my Fathers unit, 29-46 Inf Btn.

It's a bit like 'Goldilocks'

Name:	TAC sign 4.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	49423
This one's too small.....

Name:	TAC sign 5.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	49424
This one's too big....

Name:	TAC sign 6.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	49425
This 'bastardised' version, while not entirely following the regulations, does match two similar plates I have seen in original photos where the unit had a lot of numbers to fit on the plate. So I guess this one could be......Just Right Maybe. I'm over it for now

Name:	TAC sign PASS.jpg
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	49426
On a happier note, this mock-up of the PASS side of the plate looks just about right compared to the drawings as shown in military regulations documents.

Once I settle on my requirements, I will take the 'mock-ups' to sign cutting place on Monday afternoon. They will probably tell me "Oh no sir, we don't have any of those fonts. At which point I will strike them roughly.....and run away laughing insanely

Old 26-05-12, 12:58
Tony Baker

Default Rubber bumpers

Thanks Keith,

I was hoping that was the case with those holes.

I'll call into the local rubber shop next week.

I was in two minds about the sheeting under the bonnet too. I thought about it for a long while and came to the decision that I won't worry about the under bonnet writing. The poor old truck is now made up of so many trucks, and the chassis shortened to something between F60 & F15 length, that I wouldn't try to represent it as any particular spec. I will assert it to retain a 1942 build year, but even that is drawing a long bow if you stop to think of the numerous parts that must be from other years. Mind you, those dates are rarely identified for certain.

Last edited by Private_collector; 26-05-12 at 16:14.
Old 26-05-12, 23:05
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Date

Sounds like a sensible plan Tony.

But you really will have to do another... next time you'll find an intact CMP with everything original and unmolested... I'm convinced there are more waiting to be discovered in farmers sheds around Australia.

Quote:
Thanks Keith,

I was hoping that was the case with those holes.

I'll call into the local rubber shop next week.

I was in two minds about the sheeting under the bonnet too. I thought about it for a long while and came to the decision that I won't worry about the under bonnet writing. The poor old truck is now made up of so many trucks, and the chassis shortened to something between F60 & F15 length, that I wouldn't try to represent it as any particular spec. I will assert it to retain a 1942 build year, but even that is drawing a long bow if you stop to think of the numerous parts that must be from other years. Mind you, those dates are rarely identified for certain.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 27-05-12, 11:59
Tony Baker

Default 29/46 Battalion unit sign - odd discovery.

Name:	TAC sign 6.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	49449
Having remarked that the applicable unit sign I am using for the restoration looks like a mathematical problem, I decided to 'work it out' for my own amsement. Calculators are a wonderful thing

I was astonished to find that while the 'answer' was a negative number, it worked out to be the EXACT calibre of the Lee Enfied rifles carried by the soldiers. That being .303......etc.

Isn't that just the strangest thing!!!
Old 27-05-12, 12:20
WO8 C15A 142736

Tony do you also like watching letters and numbers on SBS?
Old 27-05-12, 12:32
Tony Baker

Default Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrpearce View Post
I have seen that show at times, but don't watch it regularly.

Not mathematically talented, me.

T
Old 27-05-12, 13:20
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Sbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrpearce View Post
The only positive about that show is the girl who places the letters on the wall If she wasn't there , I think I'd rather watch paint dry than watch that show .

Richard Morecroft , the host, should have flown away with is friend Archie, the flying fox , years ago. Or was it a Wombat !

Mike
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 28-05-12, 11:53
Tony Baker

Default Unit number plates

This afternoon I called into my local Sign-a-rama store and left the master copy of each of the unit & PASS signs.

There is a fair chance the signs may be ready for me to pickup tomorrow afternoon. I will call into an auto supplies store tomorrow too, and buy a darker red for the unit marking side of the plates. The engine red I have now is just too bright in color.
Old 29-05-12, 11:57
Tony Baker

Default Unit sign

Nope! No signs ready today. Maybe tomorrow.

Can anyone tell me which Division the following units belonged to:

Signals Training Batallion
2/1 Australian Anti Aircraft Brigade Signals
Anti Aircraft & Fortress Signals, Northern Area
1 Australian Jungle Trunk Line Maintenance Section
12 Line Maintenance Section

I have been searching National archives of Australia, but nothing achieved so far.

Any assistance mush appreciated
Old 01-06-12, 12:01
Tony Baker

Default TAC Sign - signwriting has arrived

Name:	TAC sign - Unit side.jpg
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	49614
TAC plate signwriting has finally been delivered. This evening I painted the red background of the 'unit' side, cooked it for 15 min with a hand held floodlamp, brought it inside and applied the unit numbering.

Tomorrow I will paint the other side of plate & plate holder in vehicle color, and plan to apply the PASS lettering tomorrow night. Working on a way of eliminating abrasion between plate and holder when the plate is moved in/out. I have a 'cunning plan' though it may turn to night soil.

Bought an airbrush yesterday, for painting of light scratches and anything 'new'.....bolts etc..

While in town tomorrow, i'll be calling in on the local wrecking yard, in search of suitable rubber bumpers for the bonnet to rest on.

Old 01-06-12, 17:09
T' Guns thank God t' guns

Hi Tony:

The tire valve stems for modern automobile tubeless tires are a perfect fit and have a nice thick bottom to cushion your bonnet! I use the shortest ones I can find and you can gets lots of free ones at your nearest tire shop as they generally pull the old and chuck them out when changing tires. (You also have two spare valves under the bonnet should you ever need them!)

Would you consider sending your hi-res photos of the data plates to me as I have a chum who is an amazing digital artist who can create new digital masters from good photos. We could then post them to the resources page (with Hanno's help) for all Ford owners' delight.

Mike
www.calnan.com/swords
Old 02-06-12, 11:34
Tony Baker

Default Bonnet rubber bumpers

Mike,

That's absolutely brilliant!!!!!!

I would never have thought of that in a million years.
I did end up buying 4 stops from our local rubber place. Then I come home, put them on................and THEN read your emai,l this evening

I would be happy to send photographs of the data plates! No worries. Ironically, I bought a new camera just 3 weeks ago, which is 14.5 mega. resolution. Hope the email will send them that size. Failing that, I could write them to a thumb disk and mail the old fashioned way.

As a matter of fact, I just put the data plates on engine cover this evening. That is not an issue, because they are screwed into position. I felt it was better to attach them to a highly visible part as opposed to putting them "in a safe place" which always gets forgotten. I had made enquiries to a couple of places in Aust. who may have been able to reproduce the plates. Only one replied, and they weren't that interested, citing the imperfections as a difficulty, and indicating it would add greatly to the cost. Something about the touching up to improve quality. Stuff 'em then
Old 02-06-12, 12:37
Tony Baker

Default TAC plate finished

Name:	TAC sign - Pass side, finished.jpg
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	49643 Click image for larger version

Name:	TAC sign - Unit side, finished.jpg
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	49644
FINALLY finished this bloody thing.

Name:	Cabin 6.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	49645
Put the grille temporarily (spelling??) onto cab this afternoon to protect it, after nearly having it 'cop a whack' from a falling piece of steel. Got motivated to move it quickly after that.
Name:  0000243_300.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  36.3 KB Name:  9 inch Bridge Plate.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  4.6 KB
With all the stuffing around on the TAC plate, I decided to purchase a ready made bridge loading plate with an appropriate load rating. The seller in UK has NOS bridge plates (9") for 18 pounds, including the load stencil in a range of fonts to suit. Should be on its way to me Monday. The sample pic shows different font to one I have chosen. Should be able to make a suitable bracket for it and for TAC plate tomorrow, weather permitting (I only weld outside).

My radiator shrouds will checked tomorrow, to see which one is best to use. All have some form of cracking and/or panel damage. If my welder (and welding) was better, I might make one really good one from the three I have. No hope of that with current skill level though!

Old 02-06-12, 13:07
Tony Baker

Default New TAC Plates for CMP

Nearly forgot to say that Gympie Sheet Metal are happy to make more of the TAC plate & holders, if anyone is interested.

Their contact details are:

1/62 Mount Pleasant Road Gympie QLD 4570
(07) 5482 5977
Old 03-06-12, 12:19
Tony Baker

Name:	Tac bracket.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	49688 Click image for larger version

Name:	TAC finished 1.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	49689 Click image for larger version

Name:	Tac finished 2.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	49690
I'm sick of talking about these, so here's the photos. Whoopdy do!

Name:	Engine hatch 6.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	49691
Would you have a look at the color difference between the two parts of engine cover! They are from same paint can, and painted on same day with same pot full of paint. Only difference is the variation of finish. Lower part was previously painted and only got an additional 'final' coat when painted second time (with large part). You can't actually SEE any variation with your own eyes, but the camera makes it look completely different color. Matt VS 'lustreless' finish is the culprit. With that in mind, I tried an experiment with the TAC plate bracket I made today. I used some of the 'old' paint I had from the painting of nose panel, which I had kept for brushing onto new bolts and scratches. It was getting a bit 'cheesy' but OK for this little project. Sprayed it REALLY dry on final coat, and YEP, have a look at the color when photographed. Looks nothing like that with the eye. Bloody smart arse digital cameras.

I also found that there is a slight difference between the catches of bonnet and engine cover. Engine cover has a slightly longer travel length. I found this when attempting to install the catches I thought were for bonnet, and found I had painted the wrong ones. Ran out of day for rectifying this...........and apathy took hold .

I have been offered a Sunshine Roof for virtually nothing, and would like to install this on my vehicle. The big question is..........did Ford CMPs have these originally?

P.S: The plate bracket isn't finished yet. You won't see it from in front when it's done. I just wanted to get some paint on it today.

Last edited by Private_collector; 03-06-12 at 12:48.
Old 04-06-12, 01:51
V.M.V.C Member

Quote:
I have been offered a Sunshine Roof for virtually nothing, and would like to install this on my vehicle. The big question is..........did Ford CMPs have these originally?
Yes Ford and Holden did sunshine roofs, the difference between the two is the lashing points on a Holden one are folded sheet metal with a brass eyelet and the ford one has a heavier flat bar with formed eyelet. Pic is of a Ford type.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01272.JPG  
4? C-GT (Aust) #8
44 C-GT (Aust) #9
42 Jeep, Trailer Aust 3
Welbike MK2 complete
Welbike MK2 inconplete under resto
C15A x3
C60S x1 ex ambo
F60L x3
LP2a carrier SAR #4993.
Trailer No27 Limber
Trailer, Cario cargo
Trailer, Pontoon semi
Wiles Cooker 2 wheeled (jnr)

Last edited by Hanno Spoelstra; 04-06-12 at 13:32. Reason: Formatting
Old 04-06-12, 09:42
Tony Baker

Default Sunshine Roof

Euan,

Thanks for the information and the photo.

I will take a good look at the one I have my eye one, when I make the trip up to sellers / givers property. Hopefully that will be this Saturday afternoon. I do like the look of those roofs (rooves?).

An added advantage of the sunshine roof would be not having to do a major rebuild on the roof hatch. I have two that I could make one out of, I guess, but both have rested corners on hinge side. If all corners are the same, that would not be a problem.

This afternoon my Wife tells me the credit card is filling up again, so it stands to reason that my upholsterer would phone only minutes after, to tell me the canvas side curtains will be ready for me some time this week. Thats OK by me though. I really want to get em home and see how they look in place. No point in being the richest one in the cemetary!!!!!
Old 04-06-12, 11:24
Tony Baker

Default Ford Cab 13, Front radiator ducting

Name:	Front air duct 1.jpg
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	49728 Click image for larger version

Name:	Front air duct 2.jpg
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	49729 Click image for larger version

Name:	Front air duct 3.jpg
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	49730
I forgot to mention yesterday, that when I looked over the three radiator ducts I have, they were all less than ideal. With some reluctance, I have come to the conclusion that I will have to make one good one out of two (possibly the three).

Name:	Front air duct 4.jpg
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	49731
This is the side I will be replacing. Someone has had a thorough go at repairing this once before......but failed with the welding. I used to weld like that, sometimes still do

Two of the three remaining sides are not too bad and should be repairable without too much surgery. The third side I did some panel beating on last Sunday. It should be OK with a little skim of plastic filler.

God I hate panelbeating
Old 04-06-12, 12:23
V.M.V.C Member

Default sunshine roof

Tony,
The sunshine roof would be correct for the F15 but not a F60s. The only truck other than a swb I have seen fitted with a sunshine roof is a #6 gun tractor.
4? C-GT (Aust) #8
44 C-GT (Aust) #9
42 Jeep, Trailer Aust 3
Welbike MK2 complete
Welbike MK2 inconplete under resto
C15A x3
C60S x1 ex ambo
F60L x3
LP2a carrier SAR #4993.
Trailer No27 Limber
Trailer, Cario cargo
Trailer, Pontoon semi