MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 22-08-12, 23:40

Default Chevrolet C15A or HUP

Hi,
I am new to the forum, so Hello to all and thanks for letting me join.

This is my first CMP which i bought through milweb, its been discussed on this forum before, back in july 2010, under the heading of "new CMP Owner". The Consensous of opinion, seemed to be that it started life as a HUP and at some stage was lengthened. The wheel base at present is 120". My intention is to return it to a HUP, if that is how it started life, so any Help would be gratefully appreciated. It is a major operation as, apart from the chassis, there is little left of the original vehical and what is left has been badly restored using wood where the steel has rotted away. Anyway to start with ive attached some pictures from the last post in 2010 and one of as it is today and yes the camera can lie but i love it just the same.

Your opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jonathan

63529.jpg cmp01.jpg cmp02.jpg
Old 23-08-12, 02:37
GM Fox I

My opinion is that you would be OK if you have access to and are handy with sheet metal (at less than full shop rates) and providing the frame can be made safe. These bodies are all angle and sheet metal but to build a body from scratch would be a lot of work. I has been done though. You'd have to consider new made doors (with a pressed star on pattern on the inside if you are a purist) and cast hinges for them as well. The other big missing piece is the sliding roof hatch that is complicated and has a batch of cast parts. The rear body has bench seats and expanded metal bins that wouldn't be too hard to make. In the end you'd have once of the nicest CMP's out there.

What's the body you have on there now? Is is a Brit. wireless Body? Is there anything left on the inside? There might be other desirable options...

Last edited by Bruce Parker (RIP); 23-08-12 at 02:57.
Old 23-08-12, 08:41

Hello Bruce and thanks for the reply. I know its a lot of work but i am confident that i can tackle it. The hardest part, to start with, is obtaining information, dimensions and detailed photos that are good enough for me to scale from if the actual dimensions are not available. I have already collected many photos from the net that show how the body was constructed, although all of these are from past renovations and not original factory pictures they give enough information but of course, lack dimensions. Its going to be interesting.

The back is apparently off of a Austin K9 and has been stripped out and reequipped as living space. I dont know how much it weighs but judging by the weight of the back door, quite a bit and it dosnt appear to be doing the rear springs any good. As i say its going to be interesting, so any help, how ever little, will be appreciated and if anyones got any front seats and bases for sale then let me know.

Jonathan
Old 23-08-12, 09:56
MLU Administrator

Jonathan,

Welcome to this forum and the wonderful world of CMPs! You have taken on quite a challenge if you want to rebuild your truck back to C8A HUP configuration, but anything can be done of course. I would advise to start collecting information and parts and in the meantime use the CMP as-is.

There is a spare C8A frame available here on MLU, maybe it's an idea to buy that and start building the body, and then transfer the mechanicals onto it once you finished the bodywork?

Anyway, here's the link to the earlier thread on this truck on MLU plus the for sale thread for the other members to see what you got.

Regards,
Hanno
Old 24-08-12, 03:52
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Moore View Post
Hello Bruce and thanks for the reply. I know its a lot of work but i am confident that i can tackle it. The hardest part, to start with, is obtaining information, dimensions and detailed photos that are good enough for me to scale from if the actual dimensions are not available. I have already collected many photos from the net that show how the body was constructed, although all of these are from past renovations and not original factory pictures they give enough information but of course, lack dimensions. Its going to be interesting.

The back is apparently off of a Austin K9 and has been stripped out and reequipped as living space. I dont know how much it weighs but judging by the weight of the back door, quite a bit and it dosnt appear to be doing the rear springs any good. As i say its going to be interesting, so any help, how ever little, will be appreciated and if anyones got any front seats and bases for sale then let me know.

Jonathan
I have a HUW in the garage so accurate body dimensions and details are available (though it might cost you sourcing out a part or two in the UK in exchange...fair warning!!)

Also a spare sliding roof hatch with a big dent in it. No idea whether it's worth shipping from Canada.
Old 24-08-12, 12:37

Jonathan,

Congrats on the purchase. Indeed your truck has been discussed a number of times on this forum. Even though it's a mix and match I quite like the look, but than again from what I have heard the conversion is pretty rough (?). Anyway, converting it back to a HUP might not be easy, but I agree it is a worthwile project. (a lot of the restored HUPs you see nowadays have partially scratchbuilt bodies as a lot of them were cut into Pickups in post-war life)

The HUW chassis Hanno mentions should be an excellent start for your project. It is now at forum member Maurice' yard near Maastricht, Holland. We'd have to contact him to ask if it is still available. With "Arnhem" coming up in a few weeks, maybe you can combine it with a chassis pickup?

You will find on the forum that member Kostas and also the Hammond crew are currently restoring Heavy Utilities. Apart from Bruces offer, there might be some parts available in the UK and Canada from other forum members.

Alex
Old 24-08-12, 20:08

What a response! Thanks to everyone.
The best part of my Vehicle is the chassis which i intend to keep and reuse. My original idea had been to use the vehicle, as it is, while i renovate my Steyr but i dont consider it safe and just thats my opinion. It has now jumped the que and will be in the workshop next. Any offers of spares would be gratefully appreciated although shipping from Canada could be expensive but if theres stuff on offer i may try. The engine appears to be ok and after rebuilding the carb it now starts first time and it drives, which is a bonus. Iam all geared up and ready to start and when i get home from Military Oddesey in Kent and first off i will be removing the back body and start reworking the chassis. Ill let you know how it goes.

Jonathan
Old 24-08-12, 20:33
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Jon.
You project sounds like something that Bruce Parker and our Founder,Geof Winnington-Ball a.k.a. "JIF",for all you new members that never had the opportunity of knowing or meeting our founder..
Jif and Bruce grew up together as I understand it...and when they were lads,would love playing army....
Jif would always be the officer and Bruce the lowly grunt...and they did some great restoration projects and recovery projects together in the early years..long before MLU or the internet was even a gleam in someones eye..\
With Bruce rolling around in the mud and the grease,and Jif giving him instructions and direction,not a speck of dirt anywhere on him, while sucking on a long neck,they were life long friends..so Bruce is a good mentor for you..
Jif passed away long before his time should have been but he had built this MLU website and left a legacy that we all use daily.

It is only a suggestion but maybe we should all write a piece about our time with Jif and our memories of him..send them all to one person to edit and put together and put it on this forum in a special place so that newbies are required to read it before being signed up.. so the new members could have some historical background on MLU>.
Just a thought but I remember JIF in many ways..
Any comments..??
Old 24-08-12, 21:48
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Blair View Post
It is only a suggestion but maybe we should all write a piece about our time with Jif and our memories of him..send them all to one person to edit and put together and put it on this forum in a special place so that newbies are required to read it before being signed up.. so the new members could have some historical background on MLU>.
Just a thought but I remember JIF in many ways..
Any comments..??
Alex,

Great idea! Please start posting your memories in the thread Rest In Peace, Geoff Winnington-Ball. Once there is sufficient material, I can edit the web page found at http://www.mapleleafup.net/about.html

Thanks in advance,
Hanno
Old 24-08-12, 21:56

Hello Alex and thanks for the reply.

I personally would write down your memories and publish them on the forum. Once someone dies these memories will be lost forever. Any information no matter how trivial it may seem at the time, will be of value to others in the future.

Are there any books that you would recommend on CMPs in general?

Jonathan
Old 13-01-13, 22:04

Default HUP project started at last

Hi All,

Well after some considerable time i am ready to start rebuilding my CMP HUP. I had a couple of other projects to finish first, a VW Kubelwagen and a DKWSB200 motor bike, both of which are now complete. So its on with the HUP.

Just to recap. I bought the vehicle some months ago, the chassis had been lengthened by about 18" and a radio body welded to the back. I put some pictures on this site and the consensus of opinion was that originally the vehicle had been a HUP. I ve removed the radio body and the old girl is now in the dry. The first job was to remove the fabricated back to the cab and see what was left of the original body work. Ive attached some pictures, one of which is the pillar behind the front doors, it shows signs of having a set of hinges attached. This is apparent on both sides of the body.

My next job is to shorten the chassis but more importantly, i need to start planning to build the floor structure. Ive collected lots of pictures from the net so i know what it looks like but what i really need, are dimensions, from strut to strut, corner radii and anything else. So if there is anyone who has this information or can tell me where i can get it i would be very grateful.

Regards,

Jonathan

63529.jpg DSC00723.jpg DSC00725.jpg DSC00729.jpg DSC00602.jpg
Old 13-01-13, 22:14

I thought after i had posted it that i had better put a picture of the floor structure so that you all know what i am talking about. Thanks in advance and ill try and keep you all posted as i go along.

Reagrds,

Jonathan

5-28%20Beast%20Rebuild%20Camera%20008.jpg
Old 14-01-13, 15:50

Default If you need more photos of the under floor

Hi Jonathan

If you need more pictures or higher resolution for more detail let me know and I'll post them.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 14-01-13, 17:32

Phil,

Thanks for the reply. If you have got any high resolution pictures of the base structure or any other aspects of the vehicle then they would be more than welcome. If you want me to pay for the postage etc then just let me know.

Regards and thanks,

Jonathan
Old 14-01-13, 19:12

Default Do you have a DSL or better internet ?

Hi Jonathan

Do you have high speed internet if so I'll just post them on a new page in my web site and send the link?

Probably have 50 or so picture all 2048x1536 pixels file size each 1.5MB
so only really help on high speed.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 26-01-13, 21:28

Default Hup rebuild update

Hi All,

The weather here in the UK has been snowy and generally rubbish so ive been using it as an excuse to hibernate down the workshop and avoid doing all the jobs that i should be doing. Well ive been motoring along. The chassis that had been lengthened by 18" has been cut and rejoined, the front drive shaft has been shortened and a new drive shaft, that goes between the gearbox and the transfer box has been constructed.

The roof of the cab had been fabricated from bits of steel box section and wood, so that had to go. Actually when i measured it the cab was 3" wider at the top than it was at the bottom. When i removed the floor panels the reason was obvious, all the cross struts under the cab floor had been removed and of course there was no longer the rear bulkhead to keep it all square. I have cut out what remained of the strange shaped cross strut at the rear of the cab, fabricated a new one and welded it in. A new bulk head has been fabricated and that too is now in place.

My thoughts now have turned to the windscreen outer frame, this again had been replaced but was far from the original in both design and size. So here is one of many questions. The outer windscreen frame is a seperate unit from the rest of the front bulk head. The fabricated outer frame that i removed, was bolted in place via the two top door hinge bolts. There is no evidence that one had ever been welded on to the top of the bulkhead on either of the sides or the middle. So is this frame ment to be a seperate unit? Ive attached a picture of the rectangular holes that the outer sections go into.

Could i ask someone to check a dimension for me if thats possible. I need to know what the dimension is from the cab floor to the top of the pillar behind the drivers door, to where the roof would sit. I dont know if mine has been messed with and i would hate to finish things and find out that the roof was 1" lower than it should be. Has anyone got details of the windscreen opening bosses, the ones that are attached to the outer frame two on the middle pillar and one on each outer post. And
Lastly if anyone could add some dimensions to my sketch i would be really gratefull.

Regards,

Jonathan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00734.jpg (47.1 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00736.jpg (57.0 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00752.jpg (62.1 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00757.jpg (61.5 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00735.jpg (44.1 KB, 69 views)
Old 26-01-13, 22:53

Hi,

Sorry i didnt realise that there was a limit on the number of pictures per post, so here are the others.

Regards,

Jonathan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00753.jpg (60.1 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg floor plan001.jpg (47.8 KB, 25 views)
Old 26-01-13, 23:45
WO8 C15A 142736

Yes the windscreen frame does bolt in with the door hinges and two small bolts in the centre.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PA150258 (Small).JPG (86.9 KB, 48 views)
Old 27-01-13, 10:08
MLU Administrator

Jonathan,

I don't have a HUP to help out with the measurements, but I'm sure you will find the help you need here. I can tell you the windscreen frame is detachable and the same as on other Chevrolet CMPs (quite possibly Ford too). It might be worth looking for CMP body parts as a man with your skills would be able to turn a couple of cab doors into a HUP body door?!? You can use the double curvature back section of a regular CMP Cab 13 roof as the rear roof section on your HUP body.

I must commend you for taking up this challenge. Quite a few HUP bodies were cut down and reconstructed later, but to date I have not seen a project which also includes reversal of a chassis extension plus engine transplant.

Hanno
Old 16-01-14, 19:18

Default HUP progress

Hi all,

its been sometime since I've posted a progress report on the HUP and that's because my eldest son persuaded me to bring forward my plans to demolish my old barn and build a new one, so now I have a new building to house my vehicles. I can't remember which were the last picture that I posted but the picture below is where I left the old girl 6 months ago before it was put outside under a sheet. The rear body frame is complete, the sides had been clad and the inner roof frame constructed.

Cladding the roof was the next job and this is a job that I dreamed of doing for all of the last 6 months. you can see the results so far below. I must admit that I am quite pleased with it.

regards,

Jonathan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01040.jpg (47.7 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01675.jpg (50.8 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01676.jpg (52.2 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01678.jpg (50.4 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01681.jpg (54.9 KB, 62 views)
Old 17-01-14, 02:42

Default Wonderful job on the sheet metal....

Any chance that you took more pictures of the ongoing work on the rounded corners of the roof and close up of the finished product from both inside and outside...... and pictures of what you had to start with/from.

Thanks.... hoping to learn.

Bob C
Canada
Old 17-01-14, 04:48

Default Nice shop...nicer Hup!!!

Nice to see some postings Jonathan. Bob, I've sent Jonathan 12 Gazillion photos of my unit, plus measurements. I can only say from what Jonathan has sent back....man does really NICE work! I'll try giving you a call over the next couple of weekends Jonathan. Robert
Old 17-01-14, 21:08

Hello Bob,

There are some pictures at the top of this thread and a description. That is, if you mean from the start of the project. If however, you mean what did I have to start with as far as the rear body and the roof, well then Nothing. The whole body has been constructed using the dimensions and photo's supplied by Robert Morrison, plenty of scaling and an in depth engineering knowledge. I can't thank Robert enough for his help. Its a shame but no one else seemed willing to supply any detailed information on line. There are plenty of photos of vehicles in bits on the forum but they are not detailed enough.

When I visited the War and Peace show in 2013, I measured a HUP that was in attendance and I couldn't find any problems so far.
I Have got a load of pictures of the body construction and a lot of dimensions so if you need any.

regards,

Jonathan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 63529.jpg (57.4 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00722.jpg (88.8 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01679.jpg (50.4 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00847.jpg (66.0 KB, 30 views)
Old 08-10-16, 12:51
MLU Administrator

Amazing job, I am awe inspired seeing how you transformed this "bitsa" - or more accurately: "cut 'n shut"- back into its former glory
Old 08-10-16, 21:04

Thank you all for your kind comments, I am looking forward to getting him on the road and attending some shows next year.

Jonathan
1938 DKW SB200
1944 DKW NZ350-1
1967 Ural K750 sidecar outfit
1944 VW Kubelwagen KDF82
1942 Steyr 1500A
1944 Morris C8A
1943 Chevrolet CMP8A HUP?
194? Bedford QL
Old 09-10-16, 21:22

This weekends little project.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02886.jpg (153.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02887.jpg (146.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02888.jpg (158.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02889.jpg (147.6 KB, 3 views)
1938 DKW SB200
1944 DKW NZ350-1
1944 VW Kubelwagen KDF82
1942 Steyr 1500A
1944 Morris C8A
194? Bedford QL
Old 09-10-16, 21:34
Pieter Bergman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Moore View Post
This weekends little project.

Eeeeehhhhhhhh do you build more...? Any drawings?

Greetings

Pieter
Old 17-05-17, 10:26

The old girls been finished for a few months now, that is apart from some proper windscreen frames, as I cant find the right profile steel. I have just been waiting for the weather to improve to take it for a test drive and the big day came about 2 weeks ago. I drove it for about 100 yards and lost all drive, so I put it in 4 wheel drive and crept home. Now, although I had stripped the rear axle down and replaced all the seals and bearings, I only gave the half shaft a cursory glance, they seemed ok so leave alone. It transpires that the long shaft had previously snapped and been repaired, or more correctly bodged, I suspect in order to sell. I have searched high and low for a shaft in the UK and the EU with no luck and I have to admit, that although the likely hood of me ever breaking another one is very slim, not having available spares for the future concerns me. So, I have taken the plunge and I am having new two part half shafts made in the UK for both sides. These will consist of the shaft and a separate splined driving flange. Unfortunately but predictably, the flange will have to be thicker than the original and I will make an end cap to replicate the look of the original but its better than not being able to use the vehicle. Its will be about 8 weeks before they are ready so I will let you know what happens.

The company manufacturing the parts, if anyone is interested, is Rakeway Engineering in Cheadle Staffordshire. They make parts for competition 4x4 vehicles and apparently have a very good reputation for quality, from what I saw the components that they make look very good.

Other than that and a few adjustments all went well.... ha ha.

I have realised that I haven't posted any pictures of the finished vehicle with its new tyres, an error that I will correct in the near future.

Jonathan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03334.jpg (202.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03333.jpg (185.9 KB, 7 views)
1938 DKW SB200
1944 DKW NZ350-1
1944 VW Kubelwagen KDF82
1942 Steyr 1500A
1944 Morris C8A
194? Bedford QL
Old 10-10-16, 08:17

Default radio supression.

On my C15 wire , there is also the Box for the Coil , but with it should also be the filter for the distributor , but where should this fit ?
Old 02-11-16, 18:34

Onwards, forwards and backwards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02901.jpg (171.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02902.jpg (202.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02903.jpg (198.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02904.jpg (213.1 KB, 9 views)
1938 DKW SB200
1944 DKW NZ350-1
1944 VW Kubelwagen KDF82
1942 Steyr 1500A
1944 Morris C8A
194? Bedford QL