MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > Tributes

Notices

Old 17-02-14, 06:18
T' Guns thank God t' guns

Default Bgen (retd) Clayton E. Beattie, CMM, CStJ, CD, late RCA

Canada lost a great Gunner and a true hero last week with the passing of Brigadier General Clay Beattie.

Brig Beattie is best remembered for his heroic stand as the Commander of the Canadian Contingent (primarily the Canadian Airborne Regiment and the Parachute Battery) during the Turkish invasion of Cyprus in 1974. Then a Col, Beattie used extraordinary efforts to force the Turks to back down on their attempted seizure of the International Airport at Nicosia which was defended by the Canadians. Beattie was promoted and made an Officer of the Order of Military Merit for his outstanding work and leadership.

End of Mission, Stand Easy!

Ubique! Mike

cut and pasted from the Record of Service:

A Celebration of the Life of

Brigadier General (Retired) Clayton Ernest Beattie CMM, CStJ, CD
1928 - 2014
Commander of the Canadian Peacekeeping Contingent & Hero of the Civil War in Cyprus in 1974

Padres
Maj (Ret'd) David Saunders, CD
BGen (Ret'd) Gerry Peddle, OMM, OStJ, CD.

Pallbearers
Cahill Puil, Rémi Régimbald, Robert Morelli, Gilles Régimbald
Gen (Ret’d) Maurice Baril OC, CMM, MSM, CD
CWO (Ret’d) Joe Drouin MMM, CStJ, CD

Assisting Officer
Major Michael T.A. Calnan, SBStJ, CD, RCA

Piper
R.C.M.P.(Ret’d) John Cameron Yourt

The Beattie family sincerely thanks everyone for their presence today and for their support throughout. They hope that you will all join them for a reception which will be held in the Borden & Fleming Suites of the Beechwood National Memorial Centre immediately following the service.

Brigadier General Beattie’s interment will take place in June 2014 at the
National Military Cemetery of the Canadian Forces

Processional by Piper - “Amazing Grace” -
Words of Welcome Hymn
“Guide me O Thou Great Jehovah”
I am Resurrection and I am Life, says the Lord. Whoever has faith in me shall have life, even though he die. And everyone who has life, and is committed to me in faith, shall not die for ever. John 11.25–26
Let not your hearts be troubled; believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father’s house are many rooms; if it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you?
And when I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also. John 14.1–3
I am sure that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord. Rom 8.38–39
God of all consolation, in your unending love and mercy you turn the darkness of death into the dawn of new life. Show compassion to your people in their sorrow. Be our refuge and our strength to lift us from the darkness of grief to the peace and light of your presence. Your Son, our Lord Jesus Christ, by dying for us, conquered death and by rising again, restored life. May we then go forward eagerly to meet him, and after our life on earth be reunited with our brothers and sisters where every tear will be wiped away. We ask this through Jesus Christ, the Lord.

First Reading – Wisdom 3, 1- 9 Jim MacDonald
Psalms 46 and 23
Second Reading – Revelation 21, 1 -7 Bill MacDonald

Musical Interlude

Reflections;
LGen (Ret'd) Michael K. Jeffery, CMM, CD
LGen (Ret’d) Andrew B. Leslie CMM, MSC, MSM, CD

Eulogy;
Jocelyn Beattie

Musical Interlude

God of grace and glory, we thank you for Clay, who was so near and dear to us, and who has now been taken from us. We thank you for the friendship he gave and for the strength and peace he brought. We thank you for the love he offered and received while he was with us on earth. We pray that nothing truly good in this man’s life will be lost, but will be of benefit to the world; that all that was important to him will be respected by those who follow; and that everything in which he was great will continue to mean much to us now that he is gone.
We ask you that he may go on living in his children, his family, and his friends; in their hearts and minds, in their courage and their consciences. We ask you that we who were close to him may now, because of his death, be even closer to each other, and that we may, in peace and friendship here on earth, always be deeply conscious of your promise to be faithful to us in death.
We pray for ourselves, who are severely tested by this death, that we do not try to minimize this loss, or seek refuge from it in words alone, and also that we do not brood over it so that it overwhelms us and isolates us from others. May God grant us courage and confidence in the new life of Christ.
Amen.

Padre: And now, as our Saviour Christ has taught us, we are bold to say,
All: Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name, thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against
us. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For thine is the kingdom, the power, and the glory, for ever and ever. Amen.

The Commendation:
Give rest, O Christ, to your servants with your saints, where sorrow and pain are no more, neither sighing, but life everlasting. “You only are immortal, the creator and maker of all; and we are mortal, formed of the earth, and to earth shall we return. For so did you ordain when you created me, saying, You are dust, and to dust you shall re- turn.” All of us go down to the dust; yet even at the grave we make our song: Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia.
The Padre, facing the body, says: Into your hands, O merciful Saviour, we commend your servant Clay. Acknowledge, we pray, a sheep of your own fold, a lamb of your own flock, a sinner of your own redeeming. Receive him into the arms of your mercy, into the blessed rest of everlasting peace, and into the glorious company of the saints in light. Amen.

Padre: Rest eternal grant to him O Lord.
All: And let light perpetual shine upon him.
Padre: May his soul, and the souls of all the departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace.
All: Amen.
The Benediction

Recessional by the Piper - “Flowers of the Forest.”
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BGen Beattie bio.PDF (132.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: pdf BGen Beattie bio001.PDF (59.2 KB, 6 views)
www.calnan.com/swords
Old 17-02-14, 09:00
Tony VAN RHODA

Default Lest we forget

Brigadier General (Retired) Clayton Ernest Beattie CMM, CStJ, CD
1928 - 2014
Commander of the Canadian Peacekeeping Contingent & Hero of the Civil War in Cyprus in 1974

LEST WE FORGET
“They went with songs to the battle - they were young, straight of limb, true of eye, steady and aglow - they fought against odds yet uncounted, they fell with their faces to the foe”

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old,
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn,
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,

We Will Remember Them!