MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > The Wireless Forum

Notices

Old 30-08-17, 21:07

Default B set mount on Suart VI

I am building a Lord Strathcona's Horse Stuart VI model and the B set mount looks to be on the right hand side of the rear of the turret. Which would mean that the grouser rack would have to be removed.
Does anyone have pics or diagrams?
There is a photo in the South Alberta's history (pg 312) of the rear turret with a "V" antenna but there is so much shadow and stowage that I can't make out any details.
Any help would be appreciated.
Gordon Parker
Old 31-08-17, 01:17
Junior Password Gnome

Having had a brief rummage on the internet, it looks as though the 'A' set aerial base was fitted to the bracket on the centre of the turret bustle (in place of the huge American insulator), so would use Base No.8, on Mounting No.3, and a Plate, Connector, No.2 and insulated wire to connect to the variometer. The 'B' set mount appears to be on the turret roof, to the left of the centre line and forward of the turret hatches, and is on a short mounting (Base No.9, Mounting No.1) with the Protector (ring) fitted. See:

http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/US/M3_stuart.php

and

http://www.weirdwwii.com/2012/03/bat...wealth_28.html

No top views of the turret, unfortunately.

Chris.
Old 31-08-17, 04:04

Default Commonwealth fittings are different

Hi Chris,
The A set is mounted on the right rear of the turret, NOT centrally as in US vehicles. In addition to the South Alberta tank I referenced, I have a stowage diagram that confirms this.
So I know where it is and what it is but I would likie to see the arrangement in detail, especially the antenna mount and how the grousers were re-arranged.
Believe me I have been all over the internet and through every scrap of info in my collection.
Remember, the Canadian tanks had an entirely different set up from the American vehicles.
Gord
Old 02-09-17, 12:22
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonAParker View Post
Hi Chris,
The A set is mounted on the right rear of the turret, NOT centrally as in US vehicles. In addition to the South Alberta tank I referenced, I have a stowage diagram that confirms this.
So I know where it is and what it is but I would likie to see the arrangement in detail, especially the antenna mount and how the grousers were re-arranged.
Believe me I have been all over the internet and through every scrap of info in my collection.
Remember, the Canadian tanks had an entirely different set up from the American vehicles.
Gord
Well, yes, but unless it was a local modification (or a much earlier model of tank), there should have been a standard installation kit. (All the Shermans had holes for US aerial mountings and the WS19 installation kit contained adapters (a cover plate and centering washer) to allow the WS19 variometer and aerial feeder to be fitted.)

I think the British used the Stuart in Normandy (Guards Armoured), and that is possibly the unit shown lined up in the photograph.

I suppose one possibility is that they didn't have the correct installation kit available and used one from something else (with brackets made up to suit), such as one of the scout or armoured cars, but it seems a little unlikely.

Chris.