MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > Your Relatives

Notices

Old 25-01-07, 06:22

Default Bubsy Young photo, Karmen!

Hi, Karmen!

One of the photos you sent me has my granduncle in it. My Dad just identified him for me. Bubsy is the gentleman standing behind the drummer with his left hand appearing to just touch the drummer's shoulder (third fellow from the left). I only knew him as a small child but twenty years after this photo would have been taken. Here is the link to the photo:

http://www.blackwatchcanada.com/cgi/...jpg&img=16&tt=

Do you think I should send this ID to the Montreal Black Watch?
They may not feel it is official enough.
I hope this link works! I've never tried adding one to a messageboard before.

TTFN,
Joyce
Old 25-01-07, 07:15
Vets Dottir

Hi Joyce,

We really have to stop meeting like this, you know (two older menopausal women surfing the web when they should be sleeping )

That's excellent fortune to have found a photo with your Great Uncle!!! Amazing place, this internet.

Regards the photo with your Great Uncle in it. As far as I can tell, the photo is one that someone posted to that Black Watch site. I didn't see a name for who "owns" the photo, but the photo is "copyright protected" and you would need the owners permission to copy or use it. IF you contact the website asking who owns the photo, maybe you can contact the owner, telling about Bubsy being in it and that you are doing up the family history, and ask if you can have a copy? Maybe the owner would be very glad you give you a copy, especially since your relative is in it, and I'll just bet the photo is owned by a relative of one of the men in the photo ... and may even know something of Bubsy

I say, email the webmaster to ask about the photo and its owner saying you would like to contact the owner (and why)

<webmaster@blackwatchcanada.com>

I don't understand your reason about sending the photo to the Montreal Black Watch ... for ID purposes, do you mean? Do they ask you for a photo? I would think a photo is not necessary to request records, just the names, birth/death dates, service number, things like that?

The Montreal Black Watch contact information link is below. Scroll down the page to see numbers and extentions for different department. The ones you'd most want to talk to would be the Archives and the Museum people. They may have information, and maybe even photos, of Bubsy, over and above what information you would get from his records. You'll never know if you don't ask

http://www.blackwatchcanada.com/en/contact.htm

Now back to you...

Karmen
Old 25-01-07, 07:29

I was just thinking they might want to ID the guys in the photo as far as sending his name to them. Your idea about requesting info regarding the photo owner is wonderful. I'll give it a try!
'Night!
Joyce
Old 25-01-07, 07:55
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Originally posted by Joyce
I was just thinking they might want to ID the guys in the photo as far as sending his name to them. Your idea about requesting info regarding the photo owner is wonderful. I'll give it a try!
'Night!
Joyce
I just did a little more searching and found an Oops ... I have some disappointing news for you Joyce. I found that photo again, shown in the Black Watch Pipes and Drums website ... and the names of the gentlemen are listed beneath. Bubsy's name is not there. The man your Dad thought was Bubsy has a different name for that man, "George Dunlop" and Bubsy's name is not listed at all. Maybe "George" looks very much like your Bubsy?

Its SO difficult to identify people in photos sometimes, especially the old black and whites. Anyways, see the photo in the link below and you'll see the names.

http://www.blackwatchpd.com/index.ph...=1&key=1&hit=1

Do not give up hope though, as I would imagine that if in the Pipes and Drums, there will be MANY photos of them held by the Black Watch, especially Montreal, and other people and places. People do LOVE to photograph the Pipes and Drums, bands, parades ...

DO try the Museum and the Archives and ask them if it's possible to check if there are any information and/or photos with Bubsy in them. And don't forget to mention about the other two brothers, their names, etc ... and let them know you want their service numbers and records, info, photos etc. and go from there?

Karmen