MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 01-09-05, 02:02

Default F8 Shock absorbers

Could anyone show a picture of the location and attachment of the front shocks for the Ford 8cwt CMP? Maybe the F15 would be the same but both very different from the 4X4's.

My F8 has a small ring above the centre of each front spring ( see attached picture with an NOS shock propped up close by - the ring is just visible above the white rubber stop block).

The ring is the right size to fit the shock arm with some kind of bushing - but that would mean that the arm would flex, and the shock drum would lie, transversely - which is different from the orientation in the F15A for example.

Also, there are absolutely no holes in the frame that match the spacing of the bracket on the shock itself.

Cheers
David Moore:
Attached Thumbnails
web airshowaug2005 013.jpg  
Old 01-09-05, 11:54
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

This pic from the "Ford Special Pattern Vehicles" book shows the F8 front axle beam and suggests the link PERHAPS should be mounted toward the centre of the vehicle. I say perhaps because it wouldn't be the first time a manual has shown the wrong information. It would make sense however, as the the shock absorber would be mounted inboard of the chassis and protected from damage.
Attached Thumbnails
scan10001-1.jpg  
Old 01-09-05, 12:13
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

The Dogbone that connects the bracket with the arm on the shock absorber has the part number C01A-18055, which should be the number from a standard 1941 car (Canadian built). The only pics I can find of Ford dogbones are of US 99A-18055 (1939 model) and 21A-18055 (1942). The 99A is listed however, as fitting cars from '41 to '47 (??). The 99A is 4 3/4" long and the 21A is 2 3/8' long. Perhaps the C01A had the pins rotated at a 90deg angle to allow the shock absorber to mount inside the chassis rail with the arm alongside the chassis?
Attached Images