MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 17-03-08, 15:02
Derek Heuring

Default Jeep crates in Oz

Here is a picture from Australia of a couple of Jeeps still sitting in the bottom of their crates surrounded by other Jeeps in various states of assembly. The caption calls them "Knock-down" versions, but they're really not in the strict sense of the word, nor is this a factory as they're being assembled in a field. I always thought that crated Jeeps were shipped with the windshied simply folded down but as you can see from the picture the windshield frames are placed at the front of the Jeep surrounding the bumper. Question: Was the glass shipped uninstalled in the crate or did the Australians supply the glass for the Jeep locally? Derek.
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep K.D. Austarlia.jpg  
Old 17-03-08, 16:59
David Pope

Something interesting on the knock-down ability of the Jeep. I was at a PNE parade in Vancouver when I was a kid in the late 50s and there was an army crew with a Jeep. They'd stop and proceed to dismantle it into pieces that three or four guys could handle and carry it ahead about two blocks where it was reassembled. Then they'd drive it ahead until they were in their place in the parade and start taking it apart again.
1940 Cab 11 F15A w/ Chev rear ends
1941 Cab 12 F15A
1942-44 Cab 13 F15A x 5
1942 cab 13 F15A with 2B1 box
1943 cab 13 F15A with 2H1 box
1943 Cab 13 C8A HUP
1944 Cab 13 C15A with 2C1 box
1943 Cletrac M2 High Speed Tractor
MkII Bren gun carrier chassis x 2
Old 18-03-08, 00:12
Mr. HUP

Default It Just So Happens...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cletrac View Post
Something interesting on the knock-down ability of the Jeep. I was at a PNE parade in Vancouver when I was a kid in the late 50s and there was an army crew with a Jeep. They'd stop and proceed to dismantle it into pieces that three or four guys could handle and carry it ahead about two blocks where it was reassembled. Then they'd drive it ahead until they were in their place in the parade and start taking it apart again.
...that one of those Jeeps resides at the Swords and Ploughshares Museum near Ottawa. A quick look at the vehicle reveals the "tricks of the trade" for demo Jeeps. Now a question about military demos - did the knockdown demo Jeep come before the gun runs (military and naval)?
Old 18-03-08, 00:19
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cletrac View Post
Keep Them Rolling here in Holland has a Jeep Construction Team. They assemble a Jeep in a matter of minutes and then drive off!
See http://www.bandofliberation.nl/image...nue/index.html for some images.

H.
Attached Images

Old 18-03-08, 01:57
Mr. HUP

Default Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra View Post
Keep Them Rolling here in Holland has a Jeep Construction Team. They assemble a Jeep in a matter of minutes and then drive off!
See http://www.bandofliberation.nl/image...nue/index.html for some images.

H.
It looks like Simon (slide 43) has the most interesting part of the demo...