MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 24-01-07, 01:23
MVT Member 11001

Default Canadian built Dodge WC51 / WC52

I understand that during WW2 Canada produced their own version of the Dodge Weapons Carrier, with and without a winch and with their own engine.

Did any of these vehicles reach NW Europe during WW2 and serve with Canadian Army or other Allied Armies?

I presume that the US Army would not have received any if there were a few technical changes?

Your thoughts
Old 24-01-07, 02:35

David, if you are refering to the Dodge APT, I don't think any saw actual service in the war. I don't know the date production started but the 3 unrestored ones I own were all built in August 45. For sure some reached Europe because I have seen a few in Holland. Also some parts supplies reached Holland, as I found a guy with 4 NOS sling discs for the wheels. These are ultra rare but unfortunately I couldn't afford them. I think the Canadian model all had winches. The rear bodies were narrower to fit in the C47. These definitely were not used by the Americans as they couldn't handle the larger and more powerful Canadian engine.
Peter Simundson wrote an article on these a few years ago so maybe he will fill us in with his expertise on these vehicles.
Cheers,
Barry

Every twenty minute job is one broken bolt away from a three day ordeal.
Old 24-01-07, 05:47

hello larry and barry

from the info i have , in july 1944 the ministry of supply raised concerns because of a shortage of 15cwt, 4x4 trucks.....forecast at 10,000 units. a short fact finding mission ensued where the production capabilities of Canadas' four truck producers was examined. chrysler of canada was in the best position to produce this new truck as the other three were at full production already. it was decided that rather than tool chrysler up for cmp production( of which at lease one cab13 prototype existed), it would be easier to build a canadianized version of the u.s. dodge wc-51 - 52 3/4 ton truck.
the canadian built truck, as barry said, was given the nomenclature of d-3/4 apt, which stood for dodge 3/4 ton air portable truck, as it had to fit into the c47. this meant that the body had to be narrowed by 5" from the original design, of which 3200 had already been built, as the change came into effect at unit 3201. to the best of my knowledge these vehicles were modified to conform to the -5" rule. then another requirement came out, which was that the vehicle was to be wade proofed. this changed the nomenclature of the vehicle to d-3/4 apt/wp, which commenced at unit 5001. i can only assume that earlier produced trucks were retrofitted.
the logic behind using the canadian 236 cid engine rather than the american 230 cid was that all other canadian produced dodge trucks overseas had the canadian engine, which for logistics, and spare parts made sence. i have always felt that the intent of the apt was for deployment in the pacific theatre, which at the time would have been the next logical stop. since vehicles in the eto would be urgently need there, it would have been cheaper and easier to produce new trucks, and ship them to the pacific. production would have been late 1944- 1945, and i think production was halted before the 10,000 were produced, at what number i'm not sure.
i found one of these trucks down here about four years ago, and surprisingly, it was in pretty decent shape. since then i have been bantering back and forth with the owner, trying to aquire it. by the sounds of it, he has no plans for the truck and would be glad to trade the truck.......for a 1948 tucker torpedo!! barry, do you have any pics of your apt's you could post?? somebody back east would like to see them hope this helps. mike

Last edited by mike mckinley; 24-01-07 at 06:02.
Old 25-01-07, 00:12
former Resident Historian

Default It's 'im not me!

Note it's my namesake Larry, although we come from the same county of Middlesex!
Old 27-01-07, 00:17

Default Dodge D 3/4 APT T236

Hi Larry

On my site "Wheels of Victory", you will find many pictures of the vehicle you are looking for,
including the differences between the Canadian and the American version.

Look at http://www.wheelsofvictory.com/canadian%20index.html
go to Canadian 3/4 ton Dodge.

Hope it helps

Regards
Ron Perry
ron@perry.nl
Old 27-01-07, 10:01
Dutch member

Default Re: Dodge D 3/4 APT T236

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Perry
Hi Larry

On my site "Wheels of Victory", you will find many
pictures of the vehicle you are looking for........
Very nice Ron, prima werk !!!

Mvg. Dirk
Old 27-01-07, 16:57
RIP

Not sure which model this is. RCAF livery in 1946.

Old 27-01-07, 19:28

hi clive

....wow!! thanks for posting that pic...definatlely an apt/wp as there is a cut out on the side of the butterfly hood for the wading gear. notice the "locally built" enclosure for our cold climate. the wc series had a similar affair, but it was made of canvass...first time i have see a pic of an apt with this type of set up. thanks again, and cheers!!

mike
Old 27-01-07, 23:33

Thanks for the photo Clive. Interesting that the sling discs are gone already.
Cheers,
Barry

Every twenty minute job is one broken bolt away from a three day ordeal.