MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 07-07-08, 13:13

Default M38 history

My dad has just purchased a M38 which is in pretty good shape, needing some minor work. He asked me if there is any way to track down the service history of the vehicle. It was a Canadian army jeep. Any assistance on this?
Old 07-07-08, 15:16
carrier mech

There is no master list of all the M38s and their units or history. The jeep itself should yield some information however.

On the front left frame rail, about 2 or 3 inched back from the front towing shackle, there should be a number stamped in there. it should be along the lines of 52-30123. This is the army registration number. It is a shot in the dark, but keep an eye on photos of the M38s and you might spot yours. This number was also painted under the door, or occasionally on the hood. This number was known as the CAR number (Cdn army registration) and is now known as the CFR (Cdn forces registration). The M38s all started with 52 (the year of production) and then a number in the 30000 range.

The other hints at it's history will come from the various stencils and decals that lay beneath whatever paint is on the vehicle now. The army tended to use a lot of color back then, so when you find some reds or blues, note them as best you can. Paint strippers will usually only remove one layer of paint at a time to reveal the stencils...oven cleaner will do the same. Fine sandpaper will also do the job. If you are good with the sandblaster, they will also reveal the markings, but will also erase them forever just as quickly.

Markings can be found on the rear corners, as well as on the windshield frame below the glass.

If your vehicle has been previously stripped or sandblasted, then other than the CAR number on the frame, the history is gone.

There is a new booklet out recently published by service pubs. Relatively inexpensive, it gives some great information on the history of the postwar Jeeps in Canada.
Old 04-04-10, 13:25

Default M38 CFR number.

Been a long time since I posted this but I finally got around to remembering to get the CFR number. It is 53-35521.
Is there any history of the vehicles military service that can be found?
Old 14-06-10, 17:28

Bump. Any hints as how to proceed? The vehicle history since it was sold off suggests it either came out of Petawawa or London.
Old 14-06-10, 22:57

try the cfr request tread in the postwar forum
Old 15-06-10, 18:15
Brian Asbury

Default M38 ?

Bill,
Do you have more info to post about your "M38" - it is unlikely to be an M38 if the CFR number is 53-35521. Most M38's were 1952 (CFR number 52-3xxxx but a few were 1951 with CFR numbers 51-33xxx. Is it an M38A1? What do the brass data plates on the dash say: model? date? serial number?
Does anyone out there have a 1951 Canadian M38? I have been trying to track the few 1951 Willys production M38's that the Canadian army used. CFR's appear to be 51-33xxx. The brass serial number plate is an original US production plate but interestingly the weight and dimension plate refers to "M38 CDN". There is probably a brass plate on the frame showing the serial number and a CFR number.
.......... Brian
Old 15-06-10, 21:42
MUTT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Alexander View Post
Been a long time since I posted this but I finally got around to remembering to get the CFR number. It is 53-35521.
Is there any history of the vehicles military service that can be found?
Bill,

CFR 35521 is in the Database as an M548.

Sorry, no luck there.

Scotty
Old 25-06-10, 13:53

Default New jeep looking for info

Gentlemen, I would like to introduce myself. My name is Dave and if anyone could give me some info on my new aquisition it would be greatly appreciated. It is an M38 A1 CDN 3 CFR- 70-08650. I just picked it up yesterday in the Sudbury area. It is mostly complete but in bad need of body work and new canvas. Can anyone provide me with the background of this vehicle.

Thanks
Dave Chaloux
302Trooper
Old 25-06-10, 15:14
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302Trooper View Post
Gentlemen, I would like to introduce myself. My name is Dave and if anyone could give me some info on my new aquisition it would be greatly appreciated. It is an M38 A1 CDN 3 CFR- 70-08650. I just picked it up yesterday in the Sudbury area. It is mostly complete but in bad need of body work and new canvas. Can anyone provide me with the background of this vehicle.

Thanks
Dave Chaloux
302Trooper
Hi Dave,

Post this request in the "CFR Request Thread" where the right people will see it. http://www.mapleleafup.org/forums/sh...ad.php?t=14402

Cheers,
Clive
Old 25-06-10, 16:39

Default Thanks Clive

Clive, I have posted my request on the directed forum.

Thanks
302Trooper
Dave Chaloux