MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 27-09-10, 18:09
John Forsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Moon View Post
Do you know if you have to change the points (condensor) or adjust the point gap? Plug gap? Timing?
Nothing in the dis. needs to be altered, 20 tho. points gap, also keep 6 volt starter motor, works fine on 121v. John. ps for those of us who still smoke, 20 th. is the thickness of a fag packet.Before you all jump in, not the thickness of a whole fag packet, just the side of it.
Old 28-09-10, 03:23
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default my article

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozm29c View Post
This may help too. Circuit for the fuel gauge. Apologies for the grainy appearance but the schematic should be OK to read.
Cheers
John W.
That's a page from my old fuel gauge article. It did the rounds in a few MV mags , Army Motors and the MVT mag Windscreen ... and the Dutch KTR mag .... translated too !

MIKE
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 11-10-10, 23:28
John Forsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Moon View Post
Do you know if you have to change the points (condensor) or adjust the point gap? Plug gap? Timing?
Nothing needs to be altered as regards points or condenser. For this unleaded fuel you need to adjust the distributor, advance or retard, I cannot rember which. Easy enough to find out and to adjust until it is running smothly. Also do not get suckered into having hardened valve seats inserted. These old engines were built before leaded petrol was the norm, Just means you have to re-seat the valves every 16000 miles or thereabout. John.
Old 12-10-10, 02:39
Tony VAN RHODA

John

Thanks for the info, certainly makes sense. I have learned a lot since starting this project and looking forward to the finished product back on the road.

Cheers

Little Jo
Old 12-10-10, 04:12
John W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kelly View Post
That's a page from my old fuel gauge article. It did the rounds in a few MV mags , Army Motors and the MVT mag Windscreen ... and the Dutch KTR mag .... translated too !

MIKE
G'day Mike,
Valuable articles like this example seem to live on forever. I scanned this one years ago just in case I needed it for future reference. Well done Mike and thanks.
Cheers
John W.
Old 12-10-10, 11:47
John Forsey

Thumbs up Jeep info.

Another tip for you to consider. In ths spring of this year my son filled up his diesel van with £50 worth of petrol. This was drained out and I descided to try running my jeep on it. Jeep ran perfectly, some smoke and diesel smell until the engine became hot. The advantage of using this mix is- upper cylinder bore is lubricated by unburnt diesel, fuel costs nothing from your friendly garage, valve stems also lubricated. Downside, If your jeep is left standing for a couple of days the petrol in the carb evaporates and when starting the diesel/petrol mix will create a smoke screen until again the engine heats up.Last but not least, check your oil level on the dip stick. A certain ammount of diesel will not be burnt up in the firing process and will find its way down into the sump, thereby thinning the oil in the sump and you will find the level on the dipstick rising. Time to drain out the oil and replace. I have done about 1200 miles before changing the oil and I consider this to be cheap motoring. Do not be put off trying this because as long as you are aware of the sump oil thinning you wont come to any harm, happy jeeping. John.ps, forgot to mention, you also get better compression because of the diesel residue sitting on top of the pistons.
Old 13-10-10, 00:21
Tony VAN RHODA

John

The diesel story is very interesting. I was having a conversation a short while back with a couple of Club members regarding the Octane level in unleaded petrol that we can only purchase now, if I remeber correctly, they said the old leaded fuel we used to purchase used in our jeeps burned around 70 - 75 octane and since the introduction of unleaded fuel the lowest we can get is 90 octane, to bring this down to a resonably correct burning levels in your jeep it was suggested to add a cup of diesel to the fuel whenever you filled up the tank. Sounds fair to me.???

Cheers

Little Jo
Old 13-10-10, 04:04

Default Low octane fuel.

Many years ago a jeep was brought tyo our workshop that would not go. After checking everythingwe could without any sucess we towed and towed it. After several miles it ran but with much popping and banging. Back at the workshop we drained the fuel system and filled it with new petrol. that fixed all the problems. We later found out that they had been sold a drum of drycleaning fluid
Old 13-10-10, 09:23
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Jo View Post
The diesel story is very interesting. I was having a conversation a short while back with a couple of Club members regarding the Octane level in unleaded petrol that we can only purchase now, if I remeber correctly, they said the old leaded fuel we used to purchase used in our jeeps burned around 70 - 75 octane and since the introduction of unleaded fuel the lowest we can get is 90 octane, to bring this down to a resonably correct burning levels in your jeep it was suggested to add a cup of diesel to the fuel whenever you filled up the tank. Sounds fair to me.???
Not really, sorry. The octane rating determines to what level an air-fuel mixture can be compressed before it spontaneously ignites. The low-compression jeep engine can therefore run on low octane fuel, but equally well on high octane fuel. You just pay more because the high octane fuel is more expensive. Modern high compression engines need high octane fuel, otherwise the engine will "knock", and this will damage the engine.

HTH,
Hanno
Old 13-10-10, 09:25
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Jo View Post
Just for interest, my family immmigrated to Australia from Hilligom Holland in 1950 and I have visited Holland many times over the years.
Tony,

Great! The world is only a small place, and the Dutch have really spread across the globe. Did your family live in Hillegom during WW2? See this thread for some pictures of that period in history.

Regards,
Hanno
Old 14-10-10, 01:41
Tony VAN RHODA

Hanno

Yes mate, my family came from Hillegom and I still have an aunty there, though she is old now. I loved the "Thread" showing photos of Canadian troops when they liberated Hillegom on the 8th May 1945.

In one photo which shows a young man with his hand on the Jeep neer the Tack sign, when I forwarded this to my Aunty she was surprised and wrote back that he was the brother of her brothers wife.

Hillegome was a small place and everyone knew each other. There was a book written after the war, " Hillegome 1941 - 1945" under German occupation, I bought the book during one of my visits to Holland, however I lent it to a relative who passed away and the book is lost. It covered a lot about the town and refers to many of my family relatives. It also shows a photograph of a group of people in the town during liberation and shows me as a small boy with my aunty. My family immigrated to Australia in 1950.

Cheers

Little Jo