MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 16-07-04, 17:25
Old Sigs Type

Default Posting Images

The highest resolution that a computer monitor can display images is 72 pixels per inch (ppi). Viewing images at 72 ppi or 300 ppi will show absolutely no difference. However, there is a substantial difference in file size between the 2 resolutions.

Here's an example:

3" x 5" Image at 75 dpi with 24 bit colour = 248KB file size
Same image at 150 dpi with 24 bit colour = 989KB file size

dpi = dots per inch (same as ppi and mainly used when talking about printer resolution)

My suggestion is to scan photos for web viewing at 75 ppi with a maximum width of 500 pixels. This would make a very noticeable change in bandwidth usage and, help those with slower Internet connections. Anyone interested in a copy of the photo at higher resolution for printing (300 ppi) can request the original poster to e-mail them.

For your info, I've taken the liberty of dowloading a random sampling of photos posted on this forum and found various resolutions (72, 150, 240 and 300 ppi). Those with lower connection speeds (ie. 56 kbps) will definitely find problems downloading higher resolution photos, compared to those who have broadband (DSL/cable) connections.

For those who may have technical difficulties in converting photos to lower resolutions, I'm sure that there are enough people on this forum who will be more than happy to assist them (myself included).

I hope the above info/suggestions is of some use to all.
Old 16-07-04, 17:45
RIP

Default Thank You Frank!

I made a test and of course it worked just as You said.
Thanks,

Stellan
Old 16-07-04, 21:29
Overvalwagen-o-logist

Default moderators entering town

this is what happend to them... it almost seemed like liberation.
Hanno was driving the C15TA and Sunray the Big CMP. Crowds and crowds were after them!

Now I am struggling to set up my webpages:
and cant go out and meet them...

Nuyt
Attached Thumbnails
moderators.jpg  
Old 17-07-04, 00:32
Film maker, CMP addict

Default For those of you with Photoshop

Photoshop comes with an appliaction called Image Ready which I use for my pictures. It's extremely efficient in making small file sizes - I save mine as 600 pixels wide at meduim jpeg and have individual file sizes under 40k. This gives me the best trade-off for size vs clarity.

I must admit, I sometimes just upload pics to MLU directly, mostly when I don't have access to my server and want to get something happening quickly - I'll try to be more patient in future!

I'm happy to host images too - and a lot of you are already sending me pics for upload which is great.

Geoff, I reckon this forum is the best place on the net, and more power to you for creating it!

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 17-07-04, 00:44
Dog Robber

Default Hal is alive and well and lives in my house

Hal, from Stanley Kubrick's Space 2001 has now become my constant companion.

Last night, I posted a hellish long bit starting with "TAA TAA TAAA" my new cellar computer station is up and running.

Not..... just as I was about to send the reply my brandy new internet connector started flashing and I lost the whole thing, message, internet connection, everything.

Got on the phone to my DSL provider and learned a few things I did not want to learn. #1, what I got was merely another DSL "box/modem". As I have the DSL service to one phone number, I can only access the internet on one computer at a time which is hooked up to the same "box". I now have one box upstairs and one in the cellar.

So, I checked the upstairs office PC and it was offline. Took me an hour to remember I have a laptop still hooked up to that part of my wireless network which still functions. Went up to the back porch area where I have the laptop sitting and discovered...what?
We had my three grandchildren and a couple of their friends to the house to swim in our pool. One of them got on the laptop to access their own provider and failed to log off.

Got that gone and thought I was Good to Go.

Not.... Another phone call gave me more good news. The DSL modems that I have are for lack of a better term, "live" all the time. In other words, I have to physically disconnect the phone line from one or the other of my PCs to allow the one I want to use to connect to the Internet. I now have that procedure down so to say.

Next, fire up the printer in the cellar. Not....... Windows XP does not in any way recognize my two year old laser printer. And, of course, I have probably 20 installation discs in my upstairs office for hardware I have installed over the last 5 years or so butnot the one for the printer I have chosen. Tried to download the driver from the Brother site and it would not work.

I am not in the mood right now to try out the scanner even though it is the same brand as my PC.

Just for fun, here are the specs of what I have in this marvelous but non functioning environment.

PC: HP pavilion a450n
3.00GHZ Pentium Processor
512 MB SDRAM Memory
160GB hard drive
Out of time here but also apparently a fairly good CD/DVD writer and my employees tell me a "killer" graphics card.

I know little about such things.

The scanner is an HP Scan Jet 4670 which is a portable thingie and very easy to use. Hope to hook it up Sat/Sun. The printer I am trying to use is a Brother MFC 8500 which worked well in the store.

Sorry I did not really get into the original subject but we have been away from the store for 10 days and we are buried in work.

I will comment further on the subject of how we can share lots of information and not use up all of GWB's bandwidth.
Bill

Aha says I, now I can get the cellar unit in operation again.
Old 17-07-04, 04:55
In Vino Veritas

Default Quotes can be a problem too...

I find when someone 'Quotes' a subject with a picture ,if they quote the whole post ,not just the lines that are pertinent, that picture is redisplayed in their dialogue box. So then you have the original posted picture and it reopens in 4 or five other peoples posts. This sure slows my downloads as I only have 33.6 I drool to have a 56k connection let alone DSL...and as we all know 33.6 is the 'Optimum' download seldom achieved.
Sean
M38CDN 1952
Other stuff
Old 17-07-04, 10:26
former Resident Historian

Default 1 MB on way!

We have three PCs in our house, all fast..my son Kieran's is 2.8GHz with 80 GB at least, 512 Mhz memory and a DVD burner! Now, using a DVD for CMP photos sounds a brilliant idea! Also as from 27 July, am upgrading from 512 kbs to 1 MBs Broadband! Wish we had all this years ago when I had a paltry 33MHz Intel PC, 128 MB hard disk, and thought that was the bee's knees!
Old 18-07-04, 00:04
Dog Robber

Default Thanks to all

I have been on the internet since late 1998 and now belong to an amazing number of boards such as this one.

Never have I learned so much in such a short time as I have on this board, and particularly on this thread, about how a website works and how best to follow a few simple common sense procedures to make the experience more valuable for the users and less costly for the host. Most sites either ignore the problem or give you some smart ass reply to questions about "how to do this" or site posting protocol.

We are indeed a very interesting and tightly knit band of brothers (oops, and sisters too, sorry to Vets Dottir). Hope to be here for a long time.

Now to my progress report for today. Believe it or not, I found a driver disc for my printer that was stuck in a drawer in a desk in the storage room at my store. So, printer is up and running. So far prints text just fine and being a laser printer, very quickly. Picture quality is not that great yet as it is rather "grainy" but perhaps I can adjust that out. I am very spoiled with the HP printer I have upstairs regarding photo reproduction and can print very high quality pics on photo stock on that one. If I cannot get the Brother to do a good job on photos I still can use the upstairs printer for that task.

Regarding the posting protocol issues, my thoughts are sort of like this. If I have "unpublished" photos or a rare book or magazine to copy from, I will most likely post it here and hope to size it correctly. If I find something on another enthusiast site I will probably either give a link or give the web address so you can look at it if you want.
In the case of sites which are essentially photo repositories such as the Australian War Memorial Photo library it might be best to give lists of photo numbers and the subject in short form.

I am sure Hanno, for one, is well ahead of me on this but I could give the web addresses of probably 100 or more sites that in one way or another deal with our fields of interest.

On two such sites, Axis History Forum and Feldgrau.net, I have succeeded in starting a "Soft Skin Vehicle Photo Repository" thread where only softskin photos are posted. You would be surprised at what shows up there.

For myself, I don't use the PM thing very often, preferring to stick with Email and I never use quotes from others which I have been told takes up extra bandwidth (same thing posted two or more times).

Well, must go for now. I will try to install the scanner next and then I have a lot of work to do to move all the stuff from my upstairs office back down here. As soon as everything is functional I will be back.
Bill
Old 19-07-04, 11:58
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Re: My KNIL pictures

Quote:
Originally posted by Hanno Spoelstra
Who knows photo sites to where one can link freely?
Webshots seems to allow linking, let's try:

Source: http://community.webshots.com/user/barrynb

Important question: does anybody see the pic above, without going to the site and viewing the pic there first?

Regards,
Hanno
Old 19-07-04, 12:05
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Re: Re: My KNIL pictures

Quote:
Originally posted by Hanno Spoelstra
Webshots seems to allow linking, let's try:
Nope, doesn't work either...
Old 19-07-04, 12:32
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Trail and error...

Hanno
Try this..
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...94474178JIdwoY
Old 19-07-04, 12:33
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default HmMmMMMmm...

I'll try again..
Nope..
Old 19-07-04, 15:37
MLU Administrator

'nother try...

Yahoo! Photos works for me - for others as well?

H.
Old 19-07-04, 16:08
Dog Robber

Hanno:

No go here. Famous red x in a box and I can't open it.
Bill
Old 19-07-04, 16:53
RIP

Default Pictures

I have downloaded a few test pictures.
photos.yahoo.com/stellanbojerud

Greetings

Stellan
Old 19-07-04, 17:02
Dog Robber

Stellan:

That works great. I will probably do the same. By the way, that Barry guy has way too much time on his hands. I stopped trying to count how many photos are in his various alblums.

As for my progress, a new toner cartridge and cleaning up in general has gotten my printer up to almost HP standards. No colour, of course, but great B&W reproduction.

Today is Scanner installation day

Let us hope that Hal lets me alone for once.
Bill
Old 19-07-04, 17:30
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Murray
That works great. I will probably do the same.
I think we would better off by first finding photo hosting site (probably quite obscure) that will allow linking to pictures so they show up in postings to this forum.

Good luck with your scanner. If it refuses to work, count to ten or throw it out of the window to calm down

H.
Old 19-07-04, 21:08
Dog Robber

Default Fingers Crossed

Lets see if it works. OK it works, next to learn is cropping.
That one is for Stellan it is a Swedish GMC earth mover shovel rig.
Bill
Attached Thumbnails
scan.jpg  

Last edited by Bill Murray; 19-07-04 at 21:31.
Old 19-07-04, 21:58
In Vino Veritas

Default Scanning

Bill , you should be able to "PRESCAN" your picture and then adjust the scanning parameters box to scan only the picture itself. This reduces pixels. For instance, do you need to scan the picture border or even the Sky if the sky takes up 30% of the photo. Or if you want to show a feature instead of a whole picture.
Looking good though.
Sean
M38CDN 1952
Other stuff
Old 19-07-04, 22:07
Dog Robber

Default Try again

gmc again.
Well different but not right yet. This the "wallet size option".
I am still playing around with it, this is only my second attempt to learn how to edit both with the scanner itself and t hen after it is scanned. Thanks as always for the advice
Attached Images

Last edited by Bill Murray; 19-07-04 at 22:13.
Old 19-07-04, 23:12

GMC's GMC's my favourite truck after CMP's. I look forward to seeing a lot more Bill. Thanks for sharing.
Old 19-07-04, 23:17
RIP

Default Improving - are we?

Bill,
Very nice pic! The truck looks like a GMC m/46 (Sw mod year = older, bought surplus in 1946) to me. But I am not educated on trucks. But on MGs. This pic shows a dbl M/1936 Colt-Browning 8 mm AAMG (probably made by LM Ericsson Plant in Stockholm) approx 1950.
Thanks!
Stellan

PS: I loaded up a few more pics at:photos.yahoo.com/stellanbojerud

Last edited by Stellan Bojerud (RIP); 19-07-04 at 23:32.
Old 19-07-04, 23:47
Dog Robber

Default Thanks so much.

I have to admit I was teasing Stellan as I have a fair amount of such pics, most of which were given to me long, long ago by friends I made in Sweden. Mostly private but I will post the source if I think it is "official".

As for you Cliff: Watch out if I ever get that dang scanner to work how I think. GMCs are also a favorite of mine and I have really a lot of pics of unusual stuff.

As to the scanner, I try to assume a plug and play accessory should be operable by the directions on the screen and rarely read the owners manual. As near as I can tell I cannot automatically make the scanner focus on just the pic so when I put a 3 inch by 5 inch photo through it, it prints the background as well as the photo. I have learned to properly crop that out at least on the display. I am afraid though that another problem comes up when I hit the browse button on this board as it directs me to a different picture storage area than the one that I am modifying and I am not sure the edit process is carried over to that screen. I tried six times to post a third picture and got the message every time it was too large. I know I can get the wallet size to transmit but every other option seems to be too big including "size for email" and "size for web publishing". I am sure I will figure it out sooner or later. Even so, I would imagine you could enlarge the wallet sized pics if you liked them.

Oh, Stellan, yes, both were M46. The cargo version had a date of 1970 on the back and I believe this is true as I used to visit the Swedish Army auctions during my stay in 1974-1976 and they were still auctioning off M46 Dodge, GMC and other WWII era vehicles. I believe some WWII era Scania or Volvo vehicles are still in "service" on the island of Gotland.

Cliff, here is one off the net. Danish GMC
Bill
Attached Images

Old 20-07-04, 08:40
RIP

Default Swedish Army Vehicles m/1946

Thanks Bill,

The m/46 vehicles in the R Sw A are indeed difficult. In 1946 our Ordnance Dept bought US ex-D-day vehicles not by types but by acres.

Dodge, Willys, GMC, Brookway (?) etc = all m/46.

The last survivors of WW 2 on Gotland were the APC KP-bil m/42 Scania, but they passed away around 2000.

Only some of the Scania-Vabis version of m/42 were modernized. Here is one of the SKPD with 18th Armoured Brigade, Gotland Island, 1985. (Picture 75 dpi/500 p)

Stellan
Attached Images

Last edited by Stellan Bojerud (RIP); 20-07-04 at 17:56.
Old 20-07-04, 23:58
Dog Robber

Hej Stellan:

I have started to penetrate a bit more of my Swedish material and I found the following publications that may be of some interest to owners/restorers of older Swedish military trucks.
1. Instruktionsbok foer Terraengpersonbil m/43 Volvo TPV.
2. Instruktionsbok foer terraengdragbil M/42 b och c Volvo TVC
3. Beskrivning del 1 Teraengbil M42SLT och M/42 SKPF Scania.

Since this thread is bouncing all over the place and GWB has not bounced it I though I would continue to throw out general comments although it should probably be moved the The Sergeants Mess at some point in time.

In a moment I will try to post another scan but I want this one to go through without losing it.
Bill
Old 21-07-04, 00:02
Dog Robber

Another attempt.
Bloody Hell!!!!
I cannot believe this. I could not get the site to take it so went to another editing program and just for fun took the "pencil" and tried to cut the size down.
Then I went to download it and it comes out just fine but with the stupid pencil marks still on the photo.

In any case, this is for old times sake. The picture is of Bart Vanderveen and staff in front of his office that I took in Sept. 1968, the occasion of my first visit to a very dear friend of so many years and the primary reason we here are able to enjoy today what he started almost 40 years ago in Old Motor.
Bill.

As a PS, I rented a Morris/Austin Mini at Heathrow to visit Bart and Margo and it was my first experience driving a RHD vehicle. Suffice to say I delivered it back to the Hertz Offices with both left side tyres and wheels very well scrubbed and scratched. They did not seem too concerned and only charged me about GBP 20 for the damage which Volvo paid for.
Bill again.
Attached Thumbnails
scan0001.jpg  

Last edited by Bill Murray; 21-07-04 at 04:11.
Old 21-07-04, 08:44
former Resident Historian

Default Photo taken where?

Note the cars! 1968 Model Vauxhall HB Viva SL Estate car, ex-Ellesmere Port Plant, a 1963-6 HA Viva 2-door, and Triumph 2000 Mark 1.

I have never been associated with Old Motor, though I have with Old Cars, Canada.September 1968 I was just starting 3rd Year at Isleworth Grammar School, near London Heathrow Airport.

RIP Bart.
Old 21-07-04, 15:20
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Hal is alive and well and lives in my house

Quote:
Got on the phone to my DSL provider and learned a few things I did not want to learn. #1, what I got was merely another DSL "box/modem". As I have the DSL service to one phone number, I can only access the internet on one computer at a time which is hooked up to the same "box". I now have one box upstairs and one in the cellar...
OK Bill, here's the drill -- you do NOT need two modems for two computers. What you need is a small router to link the two computers through one DSL modem. I've been using one for two years now, and it's great! Safe, too, because it hides your machines through a built-in firewall.

You can get two kinds of routers: wired and wireless. The latter is the rage now, but I use a wired system. The only potential weakness with the wireless is that without proper safeguards, it can be hacked by someone witht he right equipment parked in a car outside your house. However, you can employ safety features which render this a moot point, and of course, using a wireless network, you don't physically have to run cabling between the machines.

But don't listen to me prattle on about it; go to http://www.linksys.com and read their technical section closely. You'll be amazed at what you learn and how easy it is! BTW, I have their 4-port router, probably the best for a home network application.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Oh yes... regards editing graphics... you basicallly have to use the rectangle feature in your program to highlight the area you wish to save, the look for a "crop" command to isolate that section of the pic. It basically cuts away anything outside your highlighted area. Just play with it, you'll figure it out!

Geoff
Old 21-07-04, 15:46
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Another attempt.
Bloody Hell!!!!
I cannot believe this. I could not get the site to take it so went to another editing program and just for fun took the "pencil" and tried to cut the size down.
Then I went to download it and it comes out just fine but with the stupid pencil marks still on the photo.
Bill, search the web for "how to scan pictures" or similar terms to find some online course. There should be some help for you out there. You'll get the hang of it soon, I'm sure!

H.
Old 22-07-04, 00:00
Dog Robber

Thanks as always for the kind replies and help even if it is embarrasing that so many of you can do this stuff bang off and I struggle with my friend Hal.
I downloaded several items from Hanno's link and I will also read the owners manual for the scanner.

Geoff: I have had many conversations with Linksys' "Indian Connections" and the bottom line is this, it seems.
I have their best wireless system and it is set to it's highest parameter as regards distance. My house is built into a hill and it is fair for tall. Two high ceilinged main floors and a high ceiling cellar/basement. A great deal of the lighting in the house and all in the cellar is flourescent. My Lynksis system is now running from my office computer (the server I guess) to my wife's office computer in the room next to mine, a computer in her sewing room where all of the machines are PC driven and my laptop which resides in the living room or the back porch. As near as we can determine, the computer in the cellar which I am using now, is 80 linear feet from the router and is located within 10 feet of the series of boxes where all of the electric supply comes into the house as well as the cable for the TV. I never got around to putting a ceiling into the cellar so all of the wires running all over the house are routed just about right over where I am sitting buck naked so to say.

Thus, they say that none of their equipment can push the signal from two floors up to down here. As you say, I could hard wire this PC to the one in my office but that would be a real chore.
As it is now, I have moved the two modems to where it is a two second job to remove or replace the telephone cable from the jack. As well, I have a redundancy if one of the modems fails which does happen. I am sure a technical solution will appear within the next 12/24 months but I can live with this setup for now.

Again thanks and I will do some heavy reading tonight.
Bill