MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 11-06-06, 04:44

Default First display

Hi everyone

Well my carrier was at its first public display today. The store that I work for was having its 12th Anniversay sale this past week and today was the big day for special displays.

The two vehicles were my UC and a General Lee charger. I had amny people who came up not knowing what a UC was but by the time I had finished they knew all about them and their role in the CDN army.
Attached Thumbnails
display01.jpg  
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 11-06-06, 05:00

I also had the pleasure of speaking to a vet today who is also one of our regular customers. He was talking to myself and a few other people about driving the carriers a few times. He then mentioned that he had taken part in the D-Day landings on Juno beach. What struck me as rather interesting was the fact that he was a British soldier in a R.E. unit that was attached to 1st Cnd Army. For the invaision his unit went in with the North Novas. He spoke of his time dealing with mine fields a little bit of front line activity. He also mentioned one funny incident.

They had been sent up a a radar instalation to clear out some of the buildings of any booby traps. Their sgt sent them up stairs to check out the upper floor. While up there, they heard a commotion and then the sudden firing of a sten gun comming from below. He and his buddies rushed down the stairs thinking their Sgt had been attacked by a hidden German. Instead they were met by the Sgt telling them to get back upstairs and carry on. Frank toll me that it wasn't unitl a few days later they found out from another Sgt what had happend. Thier sgt had gone down stairs to check out the basement. He kicked open a door and saw a shadowy figure a few feet away moving. He opend fire only to have a large mirror crash to the floor.

He also remarked on my uniform that I was wearing. He told me about the differences in quality and about the visible buttons on the Brit BD. He did say that for big parades they were all issued CDN Bd but that shortly after it would all be collected again.

Anyway I managed to get his signature, army number and unit signed onto my UC just behind the driver. I know he was thirlled that people were showing an interest in his story and I made sure to thank him for all that he did so that I could have the life I have today. The next few pictures are of me and Frank and him signing the carrier.
Attached Thumbnails
frankwarren06.jpg  
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 11-06-06, 05:09

The last few pictures I took while driving the car as the carrier was doing 110k/hr down the Hwy. Not the best thing to try and do but I did manage to get some good pictures. Following behind it was rather neat as many cars would go flying past me only to break and then coast beside the truck to take a look.

Check out my "crop circles" in the first photo. A couple of the other employee's wanted to see what the UC could do so I showed them how well it could skate on pavment.
Attached Thumbnails
load05.jpg  
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 11-06-06, 05:27
Bluebell

Very nice Jordan. I enjoy your posts. Thanks.
It looks to me that the carrier should be moved further foward on the truck.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 11-06-06, 09:24

Awesome Jordan, well done, its great when you can take your historic vehicle out after all your hard work and proudly display it to the public. Good on yer... david...
Old 11-06-06, 22:46

G'day Jordan

Top Notch Mate!!

and glad to see that you haven't taken your unit markings off the side of your carrier.

Guess its up to all of us to explain the real story of the Hell's Angels, when someone gets all stired up thinking that there's some "bikie" connection.

I've already had to explain to a mate of mine that didn't understand when he saw the pics.

Keep up the good work

Pedr
Attached Images

Old 14-06-06, 10:11

Default First display,

Hi Jordan.
Your carrier looks great, well done its nice to see it looking so good after all the work that you have put in, If mine turns out half as good as yours I will be more than pleased,
Ron.
Old 14-06-06, 13:47

Thanks to all for the kind words of encouragement.

It is still no where near done.

Now back to working on its bits and pieces.
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer