MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > The Wireless Forum

Notices

Old 15-01-17, 03:29

Default Postwar wireless mounting bracket ID

I am working on a M38a1 Cdn2 right now and it has a curious set of mounting holes on the right side of the tub.

The holes look appropriate for an antenna mount but I cant match them to one.

The jeep served it's entire carer with the Sigs and has had only one post service owner who did drill the holes.

The holes match an chromate yellow painted aluminum and steel plates that were bolted in place.

If anyone recognizes this I would love to know more.

The jeep was assigned to CDE as a testbed in 85-86 before being sold in ottawa. I'm not certain what CDE is but it may be CDRE at Shirley Bay.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4323.JPG   IMG_4322.JPG   IMG_4321.JPG  
Old 15-01-17, 03:44

Hi Jason. I cant help other than confirming that my CDN2 does not have holes like that.
Old 06-02-17, 22:18
Junior Password Gnome

Is it for one of the 'candlestick' aerial mounts as used on Land Rovers?

I think those used a rectangular plate with 4 holes and the 'stalk' that took the aerial base dropped into that. The aerial base hole pattern hasn't changed since the WS19 came along, so it'll happily take Base No.8, 10, 28 or 31 and the later Clansman versions of the '31'.

Chris.
Old 24-02-17, 18:05

Default holes

Hello

The M38A1 was used by the 2 CMBG Signal and HQ Squadron, therefore it could be an additional antenna mount for a 3 radio configuration. Not sure what type of radio or mount could have been used.

The holes were drilled into the original body, which had the patch kit done to it.

At the end of its life it served in Kingston, CDE, Concept Development and Experimentation, or so I was told. It was a test platform, but the holes might not have been part of the testing.

The holes at in the right rear side. CDE was stencilled onto the left rear bumperette.

I am still trying to figure out what the older style markings were for 2 CMBG Signals and HQ Squadron.
I know it was white over blue with a white strip over the top. There would have been a red number and writing would have been in the white strip. Possibly a number 2 and 2CMBG SIG &HG ?

Thanks
Eric
Attached Thumbnails
Scan_20150727 (28).jpg   Scan_20150727 (29).jpg  
Old 01-03-18, 01:56

Default eureka

Hello

Based on looking at the holes and the antennae mounting bracket as used on the AMU's. The holes seem to line up.

I always looked at the corner bracket mounting holes which are a different distance in length. But the mounting bracket seems to match up to both area as there are multiple holes on it.

Which means i had three radios installed. The plates that i have bolted on must be backing plates for the bracket when installed on something else.

Thanks
Eric
Old 03-03-18, 00:04
Centurion nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
The M38A1 was used by the 2 CMBG Signal and HQ Squadron...

I am still trying to figure out what the older style markings were for 2 CMBG Signals and HQ Squadron.

I know it was white over blue with a white strip over the top. There would have been a red number and writing would have been in the white strip. Possibly a number 2 and 2 CMBG SIG & HQ?
The vehicle unit signs used by the Army (when it was organized into infantry brigade groups) can be found in CAMT 1-36, Staff Procedures, Vol 3, Annex F.

The brigade headquarters was identified by the serial number 1 on a red background. The signal squadron was also identified by the serial number 1, but on a white over blue background. Field units within a formation, like a brigade group, did not have a white strip along the top of its vehicles unit signs.

White strips above the vehicle unit sign were used for non-field units, in other words units which were not assigned a serial number.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Dan.
Old 04-03-18, 20:49

Default bracket, markings

Re brackets. The brackets are fillers, to cover up holes on shelters etc when radios are not mounted.

Re: Markings, Thanks Dan.

Just to clarify. Being a CDN 2, It would have Mobile Command and not a Div marking aas well as the Unit markings.

Based on what you tell me they would be the same unit markings as that used on the vehicles used by 1 CDN Signals Regt. in Kingston. Photo attached.

Would it also have the Brigade marking, which would explain why mine has an extra plate on the grill.

If not how would anybody differentiate a 2 CMBG HQ & Sig vehicle from a 1 Sig Regt Vehicle.

Thanks
Eric
Attached Thumbnails
Kingston -00000015_.jpg   DSC_0229 (2).JPG