MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 16-07-05, 16:23

Default Lincoln and Welland Regt Museum

Gents:

Can anyone tell me about the Lincoln and Welland Regt Museum.
I have a brother in law coming from England next week who really wants to visit it.

I've always been under the impression it was in St Catherines, Ont but he heard (or read) there was another one in Niagara Falls or thereabouts.

If anyone knows anything to clarify the situation (Where? Hours? A possible second museum (Niag Falls)? etc etc. The info would be muchly appreciated.

His father (now deceased) served in the regt during WWII.

Thanks in advance.

Al Davis
Old 16-07-05, 22:09
Art Johnson

Default location

It would appear from the Links and Winks web site that their museum is located in Niagara on the Lake;

http://www.lwmuseum.ca/Page01/frames.html
Old 17-07-05, 03:46

Default Lincs and Welland Museum

Art:

thanks for the info. What is it I've seen over the last few years about the Lincoln and Welland Regt reconassaince Stuart located at St Kitts Armoury?

Al Davis
Old 17-07-05, 15:15

Default A nice collection -- and two suggestions

This modest museum is worth the time to find it, and that is not difficult. I came into Niagara-on-the-Lake from the south (I was on a War of 1812 excursion) and found it fairly easily.

The collection is housed in an old barracks building that resembles those wooden wonders (Mosquito people, don't rant!) built during World War II in the US and that I remember from my ROTC summer camp days at Indiantown Gap, PA. In 2002 it needed a coat of paint.

The collection is mostly photographic and its strength is twentieth century. I was hoping to find more about the Canadian militia during the War of 1812, but was pleased to learn about this regiment in both World Wars.

I don't know where your home base is, but if you are going to look for this museum, I also suggest that you visit the Hamilton Military Museum in Dundern Park in the city of Hamilton. Among other things, this has a fine display on Dieppe.

South of Hamilton is the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum which is very much worth a detour. What I especially liked wsas that I could see restoration in progress. In 2002 a Bolingbroke was being rebuilt. This work occurs in the main exhibit hall so you can watch. All that and a Lancaster.

Happy touring.

Bob Potter
Old 17-07-05, 18:07
M38A1 CDN3

Small spelling correction, if one was to try and Google any info: it's Dundurn vice Dundern, in Hamilton.

Also, at NOTL (site of the old Camp Niagara), the building you refer to is the original Butler's Barracks. His gravesite (very poorly maintained) is but two stone's throws away, past the beer store on the way to the old rifle ranges.
Old 18-07-05, 21:25

Default Museum Open ??

You might want to phone or e-mail before driving as the website says that the museum is closed for the balance of 2004 ... yes, 4.
Old 19-07-05, 00:19

Default Butler's grave site?

Thanks for this Jon, you of the Legion poppies.

Is this one of the Butlers of War for Independence fame? As I think some of my people were Loyalists, I am sorry I missed this. And to think the useful landmark of the beer store I missed too.
Time to get the old eyeballs calibrated.

Thanks for spelling correction too.

Bob

Old 19-07-05, 05:55

Default Museum Hours

Reply from museum curator indicates that until Labour Day the museum hours are 10-4 on Saturdays, Sundays and Mondays ONLY. Robert in Toronto
Old 21-07-05, 04:39

Default Lincs and Welland Museum

Thanks gents:

Brother in law contacted the Museum and was in contact with the curator. If he visits outside the advertised hours, the curator will meet him and show him around.

His father was the recipient of one of the Dutch heroism awards listed on the reg't website. A long story involving a wartime romance and a subsequent re-contact in the early nineties. A really touching story.

Thanks again

Al Davis
Old 21-07-05, 13:40

Default Easy to find, great location for the whole family...

As others have said the Links and Winks museum is located on the former grounds of Camp Niagara, located across the street from Historic Fort George in the picturesque town of Niagara-on-the-Lake. I actually drove around the site last year in a jeep, wonderful location and as others have said, easy to find.

As a wonderful side note if you have "companions" along with you many women find NOTL a wonderful town for shopping, etc so it can be a trip for the entire family indeed.

I also second the other museum suggestions as well. Canadian Warplane Heritage is quite nice, if you're planning on doing that, let me know I used to volunteer so could give you a free tour if I'm available. Several other great ones in the area that have been mentioned as well.

Tim
Old 21-07-05, 14:02
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Lincs and Welland Museum

Quote:
Originally posted by alvin5182
What is it I've seen over the last few years about the Lincoln and Welland Regt reconassaince Stuart located at St Kitts Armoury?
Al, click here to see pictures and details of Stuart VI, PRESS ON, CT271427. It was brought home by Lincoln and Welland as one of only a few Canadian AFV War Trophies after WW2. This, combined with the fact that it still "serves" with it's wartime regiment, makes it unique.

Hope this helps,
Hanno
Old 03-07-13, 17:00
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra View Post
Al, click here to see pictures and details of Stuart VI, PRESS ON, CT271427. It was brought home by Lincoln and Welland as one of only a few Canadian AFV War Trophies after WW2. This, combined with the fact that it still "serves" with it's wartime regiment, makes it unique.

Hope this helps,
Hanno
Updated link to PRESS ON: http://www.geocities.ws/cmpvehicles/..._vi_recce.html