MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 27-07-16, 00:32

What were the other differentiators between the two? Was the mantled one of them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra View Post
Mike,

"Bomb" is a Sherman III (or M4A2). The main differentiator between the M4A4 and the rest of the Sherman tanks is the spacing between the bogies - see the attached picture.

HTH,
Hanno
Old 27-07-16, 01:00
Terry Warner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra View Post
Garry, see the article The Tank Commanders by Sandy MacDonald (reprinted From SUNDAY DAILY NEWS- Nov 11, 2001). One of the linked pages features a picture of the interim gravesite of Sgt Hubert F. Atkinson killed in action, Battle of Zutphen, Apr 6, 1945. Is this what you were looking for?

Cheers,
Hanno
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...GRid=123000588

I went back through the Internet Wayback machine to see the original image, then used right-click-google-image-search to find the page link. The image isn't there, but a detailed biography from the family is posted.

As I searched a bit more, I found this Russian language webpage

http://www.tigerscorner.ru/index.php?topic=746.0

Once again Google Translate put the text into English. The writer is repeating a number of the common truths, and he adds answers about paint colour and some build details. (The lesson for all of us is to be aware that the walls have ears. Everything we write and post can be repeated. As well, be cautious not to propagate errors or misperceptions.)

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!

Last edited by maple_leaf_eh; 27-07-16 at 01:08. Reason: more detail
Old 27-07-16, 03:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Kibble View Post
What were the other differentiators between the two? Was the mantled one of them?
The differences between the M4A2 and the M4A4 are much larger than that.

http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_m...m4a2/m4a2.html

http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_m...m4a4/m4a4.html
Old 02-06-18, 09:40
MLU Administrator

Green Fields Beyond can be viewed on YouTube:

https://youtu.be/ygE8FtfhJ98

Quote:
Originally Posted by servicepub (RIP) View Post
I had a copy on VHS but passed it on to Gord Crossley at the Fort Garry Horse. You can order this from the Archives. It is free of coyright. The following is a 'cut'n'paste' from their site;
Quote:
Fonds/collection: CANADA. DEPARTMENT OF NATIONAL DEFENCE / MINISTÈRE DE LA DÉFENSE NATIONALE
Item number (ISN): 193970
Title: Green Fields Beyond
Accession number: 1982-0246

Description:
Film about the Sherbrooke Fusiliers Regiment (27th Armoured Regiment) during the Second World War. In England, prior to D-Day, Troopers J.W. "Tiny" Hall of British Columbia; A.W. Alfred Rudolph of Clairsholm, Alberta; "Red" Fletcher of Timmins, Ontario; and Lance Corporal J.G. "Rudy" Moreau of Quebec, all of the Sherbrookes, receive their M4A4 Sherman tank (Serial No. T152656) and christen it "Bomb" at the Sun Inn pub. Sergeant Harold Frutter, the crew commander, takes their picture. "Bomb" is waterproofed. Other scenes show: their mascot (a dog named Fitz); loading equipment and embarking for sea assault; landing craft N1062 2441, 1415 and others; and personal effects (letters, pay books, memorabilia and valuables) collected for security reasons.
The Sherbrooke Fusiliers land at 10.30 on D-Day, 6 June 1944. Intensive activity at JUNO, the Canadian beach, includes film shot by Sergeant Bill Grant of the Canadian Film and Photographic Unit of the first wave landing at Bernieres-sur-Mer and Courseulles-sur-Mer. Footage includes naval activity. The swamped Sherman tanks possibly belong to the First Hussars. Units of the Third Canadian Infantry Division advance, fighting through to the streets of Carpiquet and Caen; Vickers machine gun; Fitz the dog digging a slit trench; a destroyed German 88-millimetre gun; Sherman tanks in action; and Lieutenant Paul Ayriss and Trooper Ken Jeroux joining the crew.
This is followed by footage of the Sherbrookes in the fighting at Falaise between 14 and 21 August 1944, and subsequent action. It shows: Sherman tank interiors; Bren light machine gunner; 5.5-inch gun/howitzer artillery; riflemen; street fighting and house clearing; German prisoners-of-war; and the promotion of Lieutenant J.W. Neill to troop commander. A map showing the Sherbrooke Fusiliers' line of advance through France, Belgium, and in the Netherlands, superimposed over actions and the commanding officer receiving a Distinguished Service Order from Field Marshal Bernard L. Montgomery.
During a lull in the fighting in the vicinity of Nijmegen, the troopers read and write letters, then continue and prepare for a night attack on Calcar, Germany (part of the fighting in the Hochwald 20 February to 4 March 1945). Footage includes: 25-pounder gun/howitzer night firing; tracer fire; prisoners of war; damaged town; and a Sherman bogged bogies and tracks. Lieutenant Neill receives the Military Cross. The new troop commander, Lieutenant Walter White of Nova Scotia, is wounded on 10 April 1945. A tank whips up swiftly to protect his body. Other footage shows: street fighting; infantry advance in file; Shermans; Bren-gun carriers; and a M5 Stuart tank. The liberated Dutch celebrate with Canadians at "Bomb" carries on to Emden where VE Day is announced in the Maple Leaf newspaper. "Bomb" is turned-in but arrives at the Port of Halifax with the disembarking troops.
Part: 1 of 1
English
Film
Production: 1945

Country of production:
cn
Creator: Production company:
Canadian Army Film and Photographic Unit
Production credit: music, Christian Darnton; conductor, Bill Frankel
Original number:
Consultation: open
Reproduction:
copyright expired : with credit to the Department of National Defence, Canadian Army Film and Photographic Unit

Notes:
1. Head missing.
2. CFPU Production Number 2090.
3. Sergeant Frutter was wounded on 8 July 1944.
4. Please credit Department of National Defence and Canadian Army Film and Photographic Unit.
5. Sherman M4A4 tank "Bomb" known as the only tank to have come through all the action from D-Day to VE Day, now stands as a monument on the Sherbrooke Parade Ground.
6. Source of description: viewing; Department of National Defence textual records at DND and National Archives of Canada and the regimental history, The Sherbrooke Regiment (12th Armoured Regiment) by H.M. Jackson.
7. Crown copyright over 50 years - copyright expired.

Consultation copy:
V1 8211-0030

Physical description

Source: DSINTRNL - 193970
Old 21-11-18, 20:32

Default Sherbrooke Fusiliers 'Bomb'

I found these while flipping through my Maple Leaf newspaper collection - both are from 1945.

Click image for larger version

Name:	4 July, 1945 - 'Bomb' Went All the Way - The Maple Leaf copy.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	784.2 KB
ID:	103608 Click image for larger version

Name:	14 December, 1945 - They Couldn't Stop Her - The Maple Leaf copy.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	103609
Old 21-11-18, 20:45
Terry Warner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Storey View Post
I found these while flipping through my Maple Leaf newspaper collection - both are from 1945.
This is a new one to me!

BTW, Lt Garry Gould won an immediate MC on 26 Feb 45. He was a B Sqn officer. Bomb was a B Sqn tank. There is enough circumstantial information to suggest that he might have been crew commanding Bomb when he did it. There are two links on Wikipedia page regarding his narrative.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1

Old 21-11-18, 21:31
MLU Administrator

Excellent find, Ed!
Old 23-11-18, 00:22
Terry Warner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Storey View Post
Attachment 103609
What exact date was this sideview image published? Calcar was fought towards in Feb and Mar 45.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1

Old 23-11-18, 01:14
Terry Warner

http://collections2.banq.qc.ca/jrn03...7-28_SUPP1.pdf

While we are finding and posting pictures of Bomb and the SFR, I found this clipping archived from the local Sherbrooke newspaper.

I've been reading Mark Zuehlke's book Holding Juno, and was fascinated by his recreation of the battle for Buron. Such as the extremely vulnerable flanks of the SFR's as they pressed south from the beachhead. His use of German information informative. For instance, for want of fuel a panzer division was not able to join the counterattack Meyer had to mount on 7 June. Those tanks would have threatened the landings immeasurably. As well, he frames the young SS grenadiers' anger and violence towards their North Nova Scotia Highlanders and Sherbrooke Fusilier Regiment prisoners. I hadn't thought of the murders quite that way before.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1

Old 23-11-18, 02:10

Default Maple Leaf Scans

14 December, 1945.