Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 15-02-03, 21:41
MLU Administrator

Default kid's toys

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Dorosh
Have you placed your order yet, Hanno?

EDIT - in combination with your order, if you need help with the divorce papers, I think one or two on this list can help out
No, no, there's no need for a divorce if you play the game well. I just became father for the second time, and it's a boy again! Now, how could any wife deny that a household with three boys shouldn't have at least one super scale Sherman model to play with?!?
Old 16-02-03, 18:36
Alexander Borgia

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
Not wishing to stir the pot here....

Has anyone here ever seen any photos of BOMB actually in service? All I know of were taken after the war as per Gregg's book... it would be interesting to see the way it was kitted out (for action) before being stripped prior to shipping back to Canada....
Yes, I have. I can't for the life of me find the pic. I suspect it is in one of the books my son stole from me...he's in London so you can go muscle it from him...The most distinquishing feature is the hand painted "Bomb" on the side of the hull. If ever I find it I will post it.
Old 16-02-03, 18:43
Alexander Borgia

Default Re: Re: Possible picture - Currie's tank

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark W. Tonner
Michael;

May have found a picture of Currie's tank at St. Lambert. See attached. NAC/111586, the picture is from Denis Whitaker's book: THE SOLDIERS' STORY, VICTORY AT FALAISE.

Currie is standing on the left of the picture, right hand on hip/holster. In the original picture, you can just make out the "C" Sqn circle on the turret side. Note the 'sigs spool' on the turret side-rear, this is why I think it may be Currie's tank. If you want, I'll e-mail the pics to you.

What do you think.....................

Cheers

Everything I have read indicates that Currie was knocked out of his tank in the first moments of that battle. I'm wondering if it could be one of these two...
Attached Thumbnails
45s.jpg  
Old 16-02-03, 18:46
canadiansoldiers.com

The SAR history tells us that CLANKY soldiered on until October - however, that doesn't rule out being hit in August.

The 42 tac sign in the photo, however, would not indicate to me the command vehicle of C Squadron - though the circle would, the 42 suggests the second vehicle of No. 4 troop.
Old 16-02-03, 18:57
Alexander Borgia

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Dorosh
The SAR history tells us that CLANKY soldiered on until October - however, that doesn't rule out being hit in August.

The 42 tac sign in the photo, however, would not indicate to me the command vehicle of C Squadron - though the circle would, the 42 suggests the second vehicle of No. 4 troop.
Hang on a sec...are you the one with the colour pic of Clanky on your site?

Edit: yeah...

another edit: The Way We Were has a pic of Currie atop his tank with his arm resting on a Bren. But you may also want to check Victory at Falaise because I am sure there is a pic of Currie posing in front of his tank. Can't be sure because Junior swiped that book when he was here last.
Old 16-02-03, 20:00

Default Other 1:6 scale tank availability...

Michael (et al)

If you're looking to do another 1:6 Sherman in the future I'd also get you to look at Tamiya's offering. I've seen it in boxed up format, price seems to be slightly less than what was "threatened" in that article you posted, you also get the side benefit of not having to "fix" any location holes etc. Also the side benefit of being able to motorize it as well....

Then you could also model the knocked out King Tiger in 1:6 for your Calgary Highlanders to be picking over as well......

Tim
Old 16-02-03, 20:02
canadiansoldiers.com

Tamiya has a 1:6 Sherman?

Or is that 1:16?
Old 16-02-03, 20:32

Default I know they have 1:16...

They've just released their line of 1:16 RC tanks, first with the Tiger I and I think they've got a Sherman or Pershing out now, but I'm almost 100% sure it was a line of 1:6 scale tanks that I saw in the hobby shop. This was three or four years ago mind you so they might not be offering them anymore, but the boxes were HUGE, I don't think a 1:16 scale tank would fit into a box that large without additional padding (the box was at least three or four feet long by about a foot and a half, two feet tall by about six or eight inches deep)

I drooled when I saw it, but the three or four hundred dollar price tag dissuaded me quite quickly. Heck, my wife has a problem with me spending seventy bucks on a model, never mind four hundred!! hehehe....

Tim
Old 16-02-03, 20:49
Alexander Borgia

Default curiosity got the better of me...

An voila! a 1:6 Tamiya Sherman for the bargain price of 500 bucks!

http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/332006.asp

I also came across this site which looks cool considering it actually features many CDN vehicles and is from a Canadian...
http://www.activevr.com/afv/1-35.html
Old 16-02-03, 21:51
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Other 1:6 scale tank availability...

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Sullivan
If you're looking to do another 1:6 Sherman in the future I'd also get you to look at Tamiya's offering.
Sorry Tim, but Tamiya's Sherman is 1:16 scale. And it has Horizontal Volute Spring Suspension with wide tracks, which was not used by the Canadian Army during WW2.

Hanno
Old 17-02-03, 00:25
Senior Forum Member

Default Re: CLANKY knocked out at St. Lambert???

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexander Borgia "The Way We Were has a pic of Currie atop his tank with his arm resting on a Bren"
The pic your referring to and the pic of Currie in front of his tank, were both taken later in the campaign, not at the time of the St. Lambert action. The first pic, Currie is actually atop a Humber, not a tank.

I have found no reference to CLANKY being knocked out at St. Lambert, CLANKY knocked out a Mk IV at the begining of the action, but from what I've read, wasn"t knocked out. As far has I know and have read, CLANKY was still a runner and operational at the end of the action in question.

Anyways, that's my 2¢ worth.

Cheers

Old 17-02-03, 00:38
Senior Forum Member

Default Re: Tac Mark - Currie

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Dorosh "The 42 tac sign in the photo, however, would not indicate to me the command vehicle of C Squadron - though the circle would, the 42 suggests the second vehicle of No. 4 troop."
Michael, I agree, 42 = No. 4 (or D)Troop - second vehicle.

If Currie, or I should say CLANKY, had anything within the "C" Sqn circle, it would have been either 'C1' or just the numeral '1'.

Cheers

Old 18-02-03, 05:00
canadiansoldiers.com

Okay, so the pixie suit wouldn't be too apropo for the summer of 44 anyway, so here is Currie in BD instead; div patches are a bit too green yet, but I think I did okay with the lanyard. Still waiting for his Sherman to arrive!
Old 05-03-03, 05:05
canadiansoldiers.com

It's here....

Some work to do....

Old 05-03-06, 15:12
MLU Administrator

Found on another forum: a large size pic of Clanky can be found here:
http://www.archivesnormandie39-45.or...HD/p004602.jpg
Source: Archives Normandie

J.McGillivray noted:
Quote:
The tank is Canadian. The photo is DND negative ZK869-1.

It is the Sherman commanded by Dave Currie of C Sqn of the South Alberta Regiment. The photo was taken on the 28th of July 1944. From left to right are Tpr Gordon Holstrom, Cpl John Larder and Tpr Dick Mitchell. Dave Currie won the VC for his action at St. Lambert in late August.

“Clanky” was destroyed in Bergen op Zoom in Holland, on the 28th of October by a 5.5in shell which fell short.

The photo appeared on the cover of Liberty magazine on the 16th of December 1944
Old 22-11-23, 08:12

The pdf file of tank names has CT 236656 listed with another Sherman V with SAR and that name being OLD CLANKEY.