MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 08-06-11, 10:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrivo18 View Post
Hi Ryan

I did not have enough $$$$$ to get a one of the sherman's.. I did put in a tender but not enough at the time.. So settled for a turret :-)

Tim
I know someone with a grant hull with modern power plant, build another sherman hint hint!
Old 08-06-11, 11:01

I can say the one/s I have here in Adelaide will get the big rebuild as soon as I do a couple of other projects first. I might just say that I don't think they're ugly at all either.
Colin.
Old 09-06-11, 09:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin jones View Post
I might just say that I don't think they're ugly at all either.
Colin.
What have I started

Sorry Colin, I'll make it up to you.
Old 09-06-11, 09:01

.............Now back to Ryan's Grant...........
Old 10-06-11, 11:44
Blitzed

Default border raiding

We're in SA tonight for a border raid tomorrow, but of the four legged type and wooly. I have however seen some interesting armour bits for an M3 on our journey and hope to see more tomorrow.
Old 11-06-11, 00:36
Rick Cove

Going through Murrayville are we Ryan?
1940 F30S Cab11
1940 Chev WA LRDG "Te Hai"
1941 F60L Cab12
1943 Ford Lynx
1942 Bren Gun Carrier VR no.2250
Humber FV1601A
Saracen Mk1(?)
25pdr. 1940 Weir No.266
25pdr. Australian Short No.185 (?)
KVE Member.
Old 11-06-11, 06:27
Alex McDougall

Default Sentinel

Hi Tony, Ryan, I didn't click before my last post about the possibility of trying to imitate a Sentinel from an M3 Medium bottom half. Never entered my skull until Tony spelt it out for me. I suppose the action of the suspension is similar but I think the Sentinel has a horizontal spring or springs rather than twin vertical volute. But I reckon you could fabricate the suspensions from scratch. The track tensioner is presumably just a roadwheel and you might be able to find the tensioner brackets and original wheels if you look hard. Dunno how you'd hide the hull joining rivets and make it look reasonable.

I've attached 2 pics of Sentinel suspension to give an idea of construction along with what I think is a Sentinel Roadwheel.

Quote:
Any spare M3 turrets over there in the West Alex?
Anthony, unfortunately not that I know of. I got one years ago and then I heard some rumours about one in the last few years that went to India as scrap cos the scrappies had no idea of its real value.

Regards

Alex
Attached Thumbnails
100_4880.jpg   100_4881.jpg   100_4884.jpg  
Old 11-06-11, 13:37
Blitzed

Default m3 bits

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynx42 View Post
Going through Murrayville are we Ryan?
No, somewhere else. And they ended up being for an M3 Stuart and tightly held.

Interesting pics Alex, are they sentinel bogies used on a large gantry?

Last edited by Ryan; 11-06-11 at 13:40. Reason: more
Old 11-06-11, 19:36

Well Ryan,

If you need some extra parts here is your chance! http://www.milweb.co.uk/classifieds/...ad=57706&cat=1

Cheers,

Daimler Dingo Mk1B 1941
Daimler Armoured Car Mk1 1943
Daimler Ferret Mk1/1 1959
Ford Universal Carrier No2 MkII* 1944
Ford GPW British Airborne 1944
Lightweight 10 Cwt Trailer SS Cars Ltd 1944
Anti-Tank Gun 6 Pdr 7 Cwt MkII 1942
Daf Trailer YAA602 1954
Daf Trailer AT16-24-1NL 1977
Daf 2100Turbo 1982
Old 12-06-11, 05:07
Alex McDougall

Default Sentinel Bogies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Interesting pics Alex, are they sentinel bogies used on a large gantry?
Don't know about a gantry. You couldn't use the complete bogie on a gantry cos the gantry would tilt backwards and forwards.

Notice in the pics that there seems to be a difference between the wheels on the bogies and the wheel on its own. The bogie wheels appear to have seperate rims with tyres (a la Lee/Grant) whereas the single wheel has grooves in the rim presumably for the rubber to be molded straight onto the wheel (something like Bren Carrier wheels). I read somewhere that the Australian Sentinel tyres were inferior to the American Lee/Grant tyres, having a habit of failing under use.

Also we picked up what I thought was a Lee/Grant bogie in Victoria but close inspection shows that the casting is very similar to the Lee/Grant but 'rougher'. It is not exactly like any of the US made suspension variants I have seen. I initially thought it might have been produced by a different subcontractor - and that may still be the reason, but I think the Sentinel 'evolved' before production got going and wonder if it might be a pre-production Australian manufactured bogie for the Sentinel, or whether it was a locally produced 'replacement' bogie for the Lee/Grants as it has their bolt-to-hull layout. May never know for sure.

Alex
Old 12-06-11, 05:37
Blitzed

Default grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc van Aalderen View Post
Well Ryan,

If you need some extra parts here is your chance! http://www.milweb.co.uk/classifieds/...ad=57706&cat=1

Cheers,
Cheers for that Marc but shipping would be a killer!! It'll put my crane costs to shame. I reckon if I look hard enough I'll come across a Grant upper hull over here.

Hi Alex, my mistake. I thought by the photos that the bogies may have been attached to a frame and welded. Just seeing things that weren't there. Interesting reading about your mystery bogie. Any pics?
Old 12-06-11, 05:47
RIP

Default Grant Uppers

Hi Ryan - don't hold me to it, and you may already know, I believe John Belfield has some of these. However he may be hanging onto them to finance another superannuation.

Bob
Website owner - salesmanbob.com
Old 12-06-11, 07:00
Blitzed

Default grant uppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Moseley View Post
Hi Ryan - don't hold me to it, and you may already know, I believe John Belfield has some of these. However he may be hanging onto them to finance another superannuation.

Bob
Hi Bob, I haven't tried JB yet and a probably wont. Feel I want to blaze my own trail a bit. I like the hunt too much also.
On another note I visited Jeff k while I was in SA to look at his collection. Great bloke and some nice stuff. Thanks for the connection.
Ryan
Old 13-06-11, 01:48
Rick Cove

Ryan, Have you contacted Bill O'Rielly yet? Bill has nearly finished his Grant and has a few wrecks around. He's in the VMVC and they are having a run to his place soon.
Rick.
1940 F30S Cab11
1941 F60L Cab12
1943 Ford Lynx
Humber FV1601A
Saracen Mk1(?)
25pdr. 1940 Weir No.266
KVE Member.
Old 13-06-11, 02:23
Blitzed

Default Bill

Hi Rick, no I haven't. His name doesn't ring a bell. If you have told me in the past about him I'm sorry as it must have slipped my mind. I'm not in the VMVC, the GMRG or the KVE for that matter. Kinda silly I guess. Is Bill over my side of Vic or your side?
Ryan
Old 13-06-11, 08:42
Rick Cove

Ryan, PM sent with Bills number.
1940 F30S Cab11
1941 F60L Cab12
1943 Ford Lynx
Humber FV1601A
Saracen Mk1(?)
25pdr. 1940 Weir No.266
KVE Member.
Old 29-01-12, 07:57
Blitzed

Default hunting

Went for a days drive around central vic yesterday with a friend to search for some tank bits. I came home empty handed but did get to speak to some great people.
One theme that was common was that of theft!
This was really surprising to me. I guess I'm still fairly new to the hobby and I had heard of theft from Murrayville but it now looks much more widespread after yesterdays conversations. And these were farms that were well hidden.
It was really disappointing to hear and quite surprising. Stories of trucks coming onto properties and oxy's being used to take the wanted bits.
It really had me thinking. I love going for a drive and knocking on doors and talking to people. I haven't had a gun pointed at me yet or nor have I been told to 'f' off. But if these low pricks keep ruining this hobby of ours by stealing off genuine people that time may soon come.
One thing we should all do to help prevent theft is never post photos of items or farms that are not ours and that we do not have permission to do so. You never know who will end up looking at them.

On a brighter note I'm charging up my Lee's batteries so I can move a 5000g water tank.
Old 29-01-12, 09:43
RIP

Default Theft

Hi Ryan - welcome to the real world. When I started in this hobby many years ago I also went to properties but was treated with much suspicion as no one knew me and I could have been a thief. I also dropped names of other collectors as an ice-breaker but some of those had blotted their copy books. It took me a long time to gain the confidence of collectors and now I have open access to some brilliant private collections. However I never reveal locations or publish images without the express permission of the owners.

Over the years I have warned people both on MLU and the Queensland based Military Vehicle Collectors Australia about privacy issues and some people have taken notice. I had issues with a member of the latter club who virtually stated if it was on open display it was fair game for photographs and locations. I regard this persons attitude rude and ignorant.

You will notice on my Carrier database on my website only the state is mentioned with no personal details whatsoever.

Guard your privacy and respect others as I will personally put malfactors in their place.

Bob
Website owner - salesmanbob.com
Old 29-01-12, 10:41
Blitzed

Default theft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Moseley View Post
Hi Ryan - welcome to the real world. When I started in this hobby many years ago I also went to properties but was treated with much suspicion as no one knew me and I could have been a thief. I also dropped names of other collectors as an ice-breaker but some of those had blotted their copy books. It took me a long time to gain the confidence of collectors and now I have open access to some brilliant private collections. However I never reveal locations or publish images without the express permission of the owners.

Over the years I have warned people both on MLU and the Queensland based Military Vehicle Collectors Australia about privacy issues and some people have taken notice. I had issues with a member of the latter club who virtually stated if it was on open display it was fair game for photographs and locations. I regard this persons attitude rude and ignorant.

You will notice on my Carrier database on my website only the state is mentioned with no personal details whatsoever.

Guard your privacy and respect others as I will personally put malfactors in their place.

Bob
Yes agreed Bob.
It's interesting what you say about name dropping. The more you talk to people the more you hear stories. Blotted paper indeed.
I wont give up my habit of knocking on doors just yet, I love it too much. I've met some really great people that way. If your honest and always tell the people why your there, you can never (or rarely) go wrong.
Over time I've pointed quite a few people here too. Saying if you want to know who I am, or more about me, just look me up here.
There's a lot of mature heads here which keep things honest and in check, which is appealling.
An interesting weekend.

BTW: 5000g water tank successfully moved.

Last edited by Ryan; 29-01-12 at 10:43. Reason: grammer
Old 29-01-12, 22:31
MLU Administrator

Arrow

Quote:
One thing we should all do to help prevent theft is never post photos of items or farms that are not ours and that we do not have permission to do so. You never know who will end up looking at them.
Just wait till the Google streetview cams drive down your outback country

H.
Old 06-02-12, 04:18
Blitzed

Default euroa

Do people here know if there are any bits for tanks around Euroa in Vic? I'll be up there on Wednesday.
Old 06-02-12, 07:40

Mate your are welcome to drop by mine on your way past to Euroa. I can be available over lunch or after work. Ideal time to have a look at the Tank Museum.

Easo
Old 06-02-12, 09:46
Blitzed

Default Puka

Hi Easo, what time is your lunch break?
Old 06-02-12, 10:24

1230-1330...
Old 16-02-12, 10:30

Default weekly times

I see someone has advertised for WWII tank parts this week in the Weekly Times. Anyone on here?
Old 16-02-12, 10:50
Blitzed

Default advert

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony urek View Post
I see someone has advertised for WWII tank parts this week in the Weekly Times. Anyone on here?

That was me.
Might as well try I thought.
Old 16-02-12, 21:00

Sorry Ryno I should have checked the number.
Thats a good idea, hope you get some calls. Let me know how you get on.
Old 22-02-12, 10:40
Blitzed

Default seat ID

Picked up this seat yesterday.
Can someone ID it please. Is it for a Grant/Lee or a Stuart. Or are they the same?

BTW: Ad went ok Tony. Got a couple of leads. And was offered a Centurion. Bit too heavy for me though.
Attached Thumbnails
seat1.jpg  

Last edited by Ryan; 22-02-12 at 10:41. Reason: tony
Old 22-02-12, 11:12
Alex McDougall

Default Seat

Quote:
Picked up this seat yesterday.
Can someone ID it please. Is it for a Grant/Lee or a Stuart. Or are they the same?

BTW: Ad went ok Tony. Got a couple of leads. And was offered a Centurion. Bit too heavy for me though.
Well I don't think its Grant because I think the M3 Medium drivers seat has a 2 piece seat, a pan and a back with seatbelt anchors welded on the back where yours looks to be one-piece. The M3 Medium has a variety of seats and I think the drivers pan and back is very similar to the 37mm gunners pan and back. But I'm interested to be edjamacated. The 75mm gunner sits on a agricultural implement looking seat which is clamped to a crooked pole which itself is sticking out from the 75mm rotator, The radio operator in the Lee sits behind and to left of the driver on a small bench-like seat, the loader and possibly commander up in the basket have fold down round seats and I'm guessing the 75mm loader sits on the 75mm square ammo chest or maybe on the right sponson where the side door is - or just hangs on to anything for dear life.

Rgds

Alex
Old 22-02-12, 11:12
Blitzed

Default border raid

A picture from a recent trip.
Attached Thumbnails
trip1.jpg