MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > BUY, TRADE or SELL > For Sale Or Wanted

Notices

Old 15-09-12, 21:19

Default 1/6th scale model Bailey Bridge parts

Hi All,

new here but been a lurker for years! I'm in the market for any pieces of Model Bailey Bridge kit that anyone might have. I have started a nice little collection of this and would dearly like to add to it.

There are two different types of Model Bailey the US type which is made of Aluminum and is approximately 1/12th scale and the British version which is made of wood, with brass fittings, and is approximately 1/6th scale in size.

It is mostly the British version that I am seeking and I'll take anything from full sets to individual parts. Just let me know what you've got!

Rgds

Pete
Old 16-09-12, 10:17
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete M View Post
....Model Bailey Bridge kit ..... I have started a nice little collection of this and would dearly like to add to it.
I've never heard of this stuff before. Is it commercially produced models, or a Military Instructional Aid. We'd like to see pics of what you have!
Old 16-09-12, 13:32

It's an ex-War Office, instructional set which was used to instruct Sappers under class room conditions. Here's a picture of the set of Pontoons which I own.

There are two end pontoons and one centre pontoon per unit and when assembled they look like this.

I can make up about 10 units like this from the set I have and I'm contemplating having more made up. What I really need is more of the basic Bailey Panels to allow me to make a longer bridge. I'm buying a new house soon which has a stream at the back of the property and I'd like to get the Pontoons re-proofed and out on the water by next spring. At present I don't have enough Bailey panels to bridge the entire gap so I've decided to renew my efforts to find more!

I'm also looking at the possibility of having a new sets of the Bailey Model made up. I'm presently waiting on costings coming back from a light engineering factory to have the various fittings made. And on Monday I an appointment with another firm to discuss having the other components made up. Initially these are all for my own use but if all goes according to plan, and the costs aren't too prohibitive, then I might be able to go to market with it by 2014. I'd need to do a bit of market research before committing to that though. In the meantime I though I'd really like to find as much of the original stuff as possible. The more of it I find the more I can ensure that any newer manufacturered items actually work and fit with the older stuff!
Old 19-09-12, 05:33

Firstly can I say a big welcome to Pete as he and I are both involved in this subject over on the "other" forum HMVF.

Yes Pete I owe you a reply about that chap, I have to get around to calling him again.

I also have been searching for scale Bailey Bridges and parts.

As a poor substitute I bid on and won an M4 Treadway Bridge set and some spare parts, well at least that is kind of what I know as it has not yet arrived back from the west coast, don't ask, a small delay I know.

I have some pictures but they are too big to upload and I am a luddite so have no clue as to how to re size them as yet. I am eager to receive them and sort it out.

regards

Robin
Old 21-09-12, 01:33

Robin,

I've found an electronic copy of a classroom manual/booklet for the US 1/8th scale Model of the M2 Bailey Type bridge. This booklet shows the instructor how to set up the class to teach students how to assemble the model. It also gives a list of what the whole model contains and how many crates. Interesting stuff. I suspect you'll have a greater opportunity to find the US version than the British version and if you do it should go well with the treadway rafts!

Here's a link to a site where somoen is showing his M2

http://ssccdispatches.yuku.com/topic/274/Bailey-Bridge

And a video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYjDujkq-uc
Old 21-09-12, 01:41

Pete,

The Bailey section shown is just what I recall seeing set up at the RE's place in Kent in a class room between two desks.

R
Old 21-09-12, 15:18

The one at the RE Museum is bigger, at 1/6th scale, and is mostly made of wood with brass fittings. The US version is only 1/8th in size and is mostly made of ally. Hence the three small crates! The British one comes in 4 or 5 extremely large crates...about 4.5 - 5 foot long x 3 foot deep x 3 foot wide.

BTW why don't you just give me that guys number and I'll call him myself?
Old 21-09-12, 15:51

sent you his details, over to you Pete.

My bridge was supposedly collected by truck yesterday and is on the move.

Hopefully back in Canada next week and then about another week or so to get to me . . .

R
Old 24-09-12, 00:10

Default Bridge Training Models

Beside Bailey Bridge Training Models, I also own a nice Folding Boat Equipment model pontoon.

Old 24-09-12, 04:37

Ed,

your post is tantalising for myself and I am sure Pete as well.

Are you saying that you also own a Bailey training set yourself? I don't think you are but I don't like to jump too conclusions or suppositions.

Please put me out of my misery!

R
Old 24-09-12, 09:27

Robin,
FBE is not Bailey

1943 Bedford QLD lorry - 1941 BSA WM20 m/cycle - 1943 Daimler Scout Car Mk2
Member of MVT, IMPS, MVG of NSW, KVE and AMVCS
KVE President & KVE News Editor
Old 24-09-12, 11:29

Default Reread

Robin, please carefully reread what I typed. I said, "Beside Bailey Bridge Training Models, I also own a nice Folding Boat Equipment model pontoon." Nowhere did I state that FBE and Bailey are the same.
Old 24-09-12, 11:38

Default Care in Reading and Even More Care in Typing

Robin, I should take my own words of advice and read things more carefully as well. I mistakenly named you as the person who seemed mixed up with what I typed about my model FBE Pontoon and for that I appologize.

As I am sure everyone can see, at no time was it ever implied that FBE was the same as Bailey.

That aside, yes I also own Bailey Bridge Training Models, although unfortunately not complete sets. I have several bays of wartime wooden Bailey and a couple of bays of post-WWII Extra-wide Bailey in metal and plastic.
Old 24-09-12, 12:10

Dear All and Ed,

I did not take offence in anyway, I am a long time forum (of many types) user and know that interpretation at times gets a bit muddled. I have done the same myself. No worries, i'm fine. It takes a lot more than that to tip me over the edge.

I am thrilled to hear that you do own some Bailey training model pieces Ed.

Perhaps you could expand on the subject a bit and tell us how you came to own it (if possible) and share some pictures of it and what you know about the differences.

This is so interesting

R
Old 30-09-12, 16:34

I really like the FBE Ed, a very fine model indeed. I've seen a few of these down at the RE Museum here in the UK. I had a special tour of the stores when I was down their last my and saw all mannner of things you simply wouldn't know they had. They're trying to get a new hall built to display all the models they have but it's no easy thing getting the money for it. I've promised them some 1/6th scale figures and a jeep for their Bailey Display and I shall be taking those to them when they're complete, in a couple of weeks. A section of sappers and a Sappers Jeep! I've just got the measurements for a No. 3 Polish Mine detector so I may have a go at one of these as well!

I've sent you a PM Ed, re the measurements of that FBE; it looks to be all made from ally?
Old 01-10-12, 16:05

Apprently Ed isn't interested is selling what he's got he just likes showing it off. So I'm still in the market for any bits of 1/6th scale model Bailey that anyone might have! Serious seller's only please!

Perhaps the mods could tidy up this thread and remove all the off-topic nonsense!
Old 01-10-12, 16:48

Default Showing Off!

No-one ever shows off in these forums. Although they do at times run a little off topic.

Does anyone know exactly how many different parts came with these models?