MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MLU ADMIN > TAC HQ

Notices

Old 30-09-08, 13:23
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra View Post
Just a quick addendum to say that they have changed our server. In case of DNS errors on either MAPLELEAFUP.ORG or CLASS-FIVE.COM, please try the following to gain access here:

http://orbit.dnsrouter.com/~mlu/forums/index.php

Thanks,

Jif
Old 30-09-08, 15:26

Default Short login seems to have come back

Hi Jif

I know that a while back you fixed the timer on the login so that it would not drop the connection if you are inactive for a few minutes. I think the fix has slipped because it has dropped the connection twice on me while I was typing in a response. Of course that may just be the vagaries of the Internet.

Cheers Phil

PS the heading should read Short login seems to have come back - Just discovered you can not correct headings

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 30-09-08, 15:34
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Waterman View Post
Hi Jif

I know that a while back you fixed the timer on the login so that it would not drop the connection if you are inactive for a few minutes. I think the fix has slipped because it has dropped the connection twice on me while I was typing in a response. Of course that may just be the vagaries of the Internet.

Cheers Phil

PS the heading should read Short login seems to have come back - Just discovered you can not correct headings

Cheers Phil
Could be your machine, Phil.... please ensure you check the "Remember me" box when you login - that should fix it.

Ref editing headings, only the Admins can do that. I fixed it for ya...
Old 30-09-08, 15:38

Default Will try that

Hi Jif

Yes, I'll try that rechecking the box for some reason the settings on my security system will save username and password on some sites and on others it will only save the username. Never have been able to dig deep enough into the settings for MLU on my computer to have it save both.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
Old 01-10-08, 11:25
Andrew

I have been having a problem with the site un logging frequently even just moving pages in the same post
Is anyone else experiencing this ?

Custodian of the "Rare and Rusty"
Old 01-10-08, 14:21
WO8 C15A 142736

Yes and it just happened as I was trying to post this reply. I had to refresh, log in again and retype.
Old 01-10-08, 14:26

I have the de-logging problem as well usually while trying to post. Get a message to log in(even while shown as logged in), get redirected and then asked to log in again, and again,and again. Eventually i give up and try one of the other routes in. Unfortunatley I have usually lost my post and interest by this time.
Rich
Old 01-10-08, 14:26
Dog Robber

Shhh.

Be quiet you guys.
For the first time in a year, MLU.ORG works perfectly for me. Not a hitch in months.

You keep picking on Jif and he will fix something and then I will be back to my old problems.

Bill
Old 29-08-15, 17:15

Default Problem getting new computer to remember password

Hi All

Well had to replace my computer that was running XP which would remember my MLU password. The new MacMini running Safari just will not seem to remember, any ideas?

Probably something simple I not seeing.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
Old 29-08-15, 21:29
Dog Robber

Hi Phil:

I am the last person in the world to comment on how to use a computer but no one else seems to be monitoring your question/problem.

So........

In early 2012, shortly after the death of Steve Jobs, I got convinced to get a Mac to replace my #2 PC, which was running Windows XP also.

It was recommended that I use Safari as my default browser and I fought the same problem you are having for several weeks, trying to "Keep it Apple" as the Apple salesperson insisted I do.

I finally switched back to Google Chrome, my original default browser, and that at least straightened that issue out.

I realize the Mac vs PC debate is very political, but I will say I not only will never buy another Apple product, I intend to retire my Mac as soon as my Computer Consultant assures me that Windows 10 is reasonably bug free and purchase another PC.

Apple products are marvelous machines/phones for people that are very technology oriented and knowledgeable but at the age of 75 I am neither.
I need something that is pretty intuitive and user friendly for a non IT person.

I don't know if this will help, but it fixed my problem that was similar to yours.

Bill
Old 29-08-15, 23:03
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Password

Perhaps you have Cookies turned off on Safari. I've been using that software since the beginning of the forum and have never had a password issue.

Just as a FYI you can reset your password here.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 30-08-15, 08:42

Default Keychain rather than cookies

Have a read;

http://www.computerworld.com/article...ain-guide.html

Used to be a PC person, moved Apple about four years ago and not going back. The last PC operating system that worked was XP and I still have three legacy PCs filed away but just boot up one now and again to remember what grief is.

It might be a young v old thing since I'm only 63, right enough
Old 30-08-15, 16:10

Default Thanks for the feedback

Hi Guys

Yes, PC vs Mac is an emotional issue. I started with back Appel when they just called it an Apple, which is back 75-76 still have that computer and it still works. Agree that XP was probably the best PC operating system that ever as come down the pike. But MS decision to try and control the software more tightly by not having it live completely on your system was the deciding factor in going back to Mac.

But the big reason I turned away from Micro Soft was a company sales person I happened to meet who was such a bad salesmen he basically said I was STUPID to consider Mac.

Thanks Keith for the suggestion to check the cookies setting and thanks Bill for suggesting Chrome will also check out the Foxfire browser for Mac.

Just to add to the fun our tablet which Margaret and I use for curiseing the net decided to auto update its operating system, dumped all our web site pass words, favorites, when I called Samsung teck support they after 1/2 hour on the phone admited that the new update was screwed up with no way to revert. The other stupid thing it did was killed the spelll checkker, when asked when they would have a patch the tech person could only say soon. In case you hadn't guessed I'm on the tablet.

My XP computer which is 10 years old still works fine, accept it can not connect to the internet because the eithernet part of the mother board is fried, will be going out to the shop to replace my computer out there that is still running windows 2000. Expect it will last a long time out in the shop. Amazing how stable and trouble free computers are when they are not connected to the web. Primary purpose out in the shop is store manuals PDFs and restoration photo and running CAD. As my photos have gotten bigger the 15 year old computer is slower.

Will let you know what I find is the solution to new Mac not remembering MLU user or password, know that it is something simple because the system will remember some user names and passwords for some web sites.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP