MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 28-09-14, 15:16

Default Leopard new monument for Base Kingston

I was through Base Kingston yesterday, our car seems to be unable to go to town on highway 2 without detouring through the base for some reason.

We have watched a new pad being prepared and landscaped opposite the CF5 monument and wondered what was coming.

This Leopard was parked up and I would hazard a guess that it will be lifted on Monday. Curiou that it was towed to this location as the pad marks on the roadway were well visible, wonder how they will stop it rolling away once it is on display?

It will be on the same side as the Centurion.

Robin
Attached Thumbnails
Leorear.jpg   Leocfr.jpg   Leodetail.jpg  
Old 29-09-14, 00:49
carrier mech

Shilo had a monument M109 show up out of the blue about a month or so back. The base's crane was out of commission, so rather than have them spend thousands renting one from town, I took a stab at it. 202 workshop had welded the track to the sprockets to make sure it would not roll. I cut the 5 welds on each side with oxy acetylene, hooked on an A frame, and towed it off the trailer with an APC.

This one was to replace one that had been sitting at the front gate, unmodified, for the last 6 years or so. So a couple weeks ago some of the guys went down with the wrecker and towed the one away from the front gate, and then came down to the museum to pick up the new one.

One thing we didn't count on was that 202 likely drained all the oils from the final drives. About 3/4 the way back to the gate, one track started dragging badly. They managed to get it onto it's pad, and I would suggest there should be no need to re-weld the sprockets. It won't be going anywhere.

The one that was at the gate will have it's pack pulled and appropriate welding done to the hatches and gun. It will now grace 1RCHA, which was the unit it served with.

The new one was a Quebec gun, and comes sanitized in the single green colour. They put a fairly large plaque on the side, not to give any history of the gun, but rather to warn future restorers that it is painted with CARC, and not to do anything with the paint.
Old 29-09-14, 01:21

And here are the other pictures

Rob you dont half get into some scrapes and japes don't you! I like your style

Robin
Attached Thumbnails
Leofront.jpg   Leofront2.jpg   Leopad1.jpg  
Old 01-10-14, 04:19

Default Leo Monument

They probably had to put some kind of weight in the engine compartment to keep the rear end down or it sits funny. I am not sure what we did in Gagetown or Petawawa when we had the Leo's placed as monuments if they placed them on stands as they were put in place by cranes.

I remember grinding down the 3 colour paint scheme in 1990 when I was a C1 driver. We were getting the mine roller mod work done at that time by Kraus Maufi at out tank hangers in Lahr. I asked about the paint and the metal composition as we wore respirators grinding the paint down for the welders. The German worker would not even acknowledge my question but he understood it.

M38 CDN 52-31093
M38A1 CDN 53-32350
M38A1 CDN-2 67-08251 2MP PL
M38A1 CDN-3 70-08650 Windsor Regt
M38A1 CDN 3 71-09013- Project
M-100 Trailer 52-70078
M-100 Trailer 53-70177
LOSV Alpine 83-49816- Project
LOSV Alpine 85-76533
TA-43 x2
Old 01-10-14, 06:06
carrier mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Craig View Post

Rob you dont half get into some scrapes and japes don't you!
Please don't take offense, and perhaps my command of the Queen's language is lacking, but I have no idea what you just said.
Old 01-10-14, 12:14

Sorry Rob, forgot which side of the pond you were born on!

"you lead a colourful and interesting and adventuresome life", all positive

R
Old 01-10-14, 14:05
carrier mech

I never would have got that meaning from that original sentence. Yes, I was born in the new world, where our colloquialisms are more obvious.

Well the parameters of my life have just been somewhat reduced. From my hiatus of retirement, I have now entered the civil service as the full time mechanic at the RCA museum in Shilo. It will be nice working in a shop this winter where I don't have to put wood in the furnace at the start of the day.

Last edited by rob love; 01-10-14 at 14:11.
Old 01-10-14, 14:18

Default starting fires

Rob

You should see if you could light a fire under that guy from Carberry and see if he is interested in helping out once in a while.

Gord
Old 01-10-14, 21:46
MUTT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
I never would have got that meaning from that original sentence. Yes, I was born in the new world, where our colloquialisms are more obvious.

Well the parameters of my life have just been somewhat reduced. From my hiatus of retirement, I have now entered the civil service as the full time mechanic at the RCA museum in Shilo. It will be nice working in a shop this winter where I don't have to put wood in the furnace at the start of the day.
Hows that for a retirement job. Nice Rob. Nice to see an enthusiast doing that rather than some dude punching the clock. Win for both you and the museum.
Old 01-10-14, 23:17
carrier mech

It was a roller coaster ride, believe me. I can tell you this though, when you have a job you truly love, you don't need an alarm clock to get there on time.

No paycheque yet, but when it does come, I am going to feeel like a thief.

Gordon: have not seen hide nor hair of the invisible man, but it is my understanding they are going for another camping trip (army style) so he will be busy. I cannot say I entirely miss those days.
Old 02-10-14, 12:35

we have massively managed to get off topic, talk about mission creep, how about topic creep

It is all good, in the end

R
Old 31-12-14, 02:45

I was on base again today to see the Leopard, I did take a few pictures, it is interesting what a move a few feet one way or the other does to the image.
Attached Thumbnails
Leo mon 2.jpg   Leo mon 1 etc.jpg  
Old 31-12-14, 02:48

We discussed how it was going to be held in place on the slope.

It seems the power of a number of welds is the answer, the drive sprocket has been welded to the end connectors.

I notice the same black paint has been generously applied to any part of the green paintwork that got damaged during the lift, ie towing points etc.

The plaque is yet to be affixed to the mount out front.

R
Attached Thumbnails
Leo mon 5.jpg   Leo mon 4.jpg  
Old 31-12-14, 02:52

Because the road that this flanks also has other monuments it makes for interesting photos.

This is likely my favourite picture of 2014 because of the juxtaposition.

I think I will be back here with a better camera and some time to try and get an even better shot.

Out of genuine interest, what exact version of the Leopard is this?

R
Attached Thumbnails
Leo mon 3.jpg  
Old 31-12-14, 16:30
Terry Warner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Craig View Post

This is likely my favourite picture of 2014 because of the juxtaposition.

Every CF5 I've seen on a post seems to have copied this aggressive upward angle. Maybe this is a compromise between the strength of the post and the strength of the engine mounts (assuming that is how the hidden end of the mount attaches to the plane).

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 01-01-15, 00:54

I think Terry you are correct, but also it likely has something to do with drainage of any moisture.

I think it is a striking way of presenting them, but again we are getting off topic.

No one has answered as to what Leopard mark it is

R
Old 01-01-15, 22:48

Hi Robin

It's a Leo I C2

regards
Darrell