MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > Canadian Military Vehicle Organisations > Ontario Military Vehicle Association News

Notices

Old 28-09-14, 16:31
Gilles Chartrand

Default Future of the omva

I am a member of the OMVA and sometimes I wonder why?? Apart from the great effort by Eric Booth to product the CMP magazine the OMVA does nothing.
Every year they have the show/sales at Acton but it only lasts from 8:00 till about 12:00. Then nothing.
I think we need a new leadership team.
I spoke to Ryan who collects military vehicles and has a gun store and he told me that he offered to host the OMVA website and he was willing to pay for the hosting as long as he could advertise, he was refused. Why??????
Also has anyone ever seen a financial statement where are dues are spent??
I know Peter has been heading the OMVA for a long time, but I think it is time to hand over the reins to someone new. He has done a good job but we need new blood.
Things I would like to see: Show schedules, upcoming events, contact list between members, what is going on with other associations. If we have this information maybe we will have better participation at various events.
Am I wrong to say what I did, this is what I feel and unless we do something the OMVA will die out.

Gilles Chartrand
Old 28-09-14, 17:25
Brian Asbury

Default Omva

OMVA does a lot for the MV hobby in Ontario. CMP Magazine is published regularly with interesting articles, free advertising and a list of events and activities. OMVA hosts at least 2 indoor shows per year and an annual outdoor show, recently tying-in the annual summer at Oshawa. There are regional representatives.
At the same time, local MV collectors have organized local activities that are close to their homes: events in Windsor, Kingston, St. Thomas and the Niagara region come to mind.
A web site takes some effort and someone may step forward on a hobby basis to create and manage it but there is always hesitation to let dealers control or operate aspects of the Association, even if intentions are good.
As usual there will be over 150 MV enthusiasts socializing and wheeling and dealing at the Fall Show on October 25 at the Acton Legion. Many will take advantage of the event even though they are not OMVA members.
So support OMVA, volunteer your time to help organize events, submit articles or ads to CMP Magazine. ......... Brian
Old 28-09-14, 18:31
3RD ECHELON WKSP

My 2 cents...
All organizations go throug growing pains, ebbs and eddys if you will over time...
I for one, agree that as an organization of individuals, that dealers should stay on the edges. We already get bombarded daily with E-advertising.
The OMVA does publish their financial reports- it appears yearly in the CMP magazine.
As far as contact lists, local OMVA area reps are here to help put individuals together. As Brian has pointed out, many local area groups have organized themselves into sub-units which do a great job of putting together outings and shows in their respective locales.
There are many individuals that tend to keep their affairs private, hence a reluctance to publish lists of names and contacts.
And finally, we must remember that any organization is headed by volunteers who spend a lot of time and their own personal money making things happen for others; it is a thankless job with long hours, no pay and little recognition.
I believe that the OMVA did in fact advertise last year for others to step up with very little response back....
Gilles, it sounds like you are Volunteering?

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers
Old 29-09-14, 04:22

Default Hooray......

Gilles for President.......

How many others are prepared to back him up ........ and actually prepared to hold a specific position and put in the time required ..... crying for leadership is not enough ...... someone needs to lead ....... stand up an be counted.

I will remain a paying member of OMVA as long as it continues to provide what it currently does and even the more activities the better. BUT honestly, and I make no excuse about it, I would not be part of the the needed leadership.

Chris' point on aging membership and matching fluctuation in membership interest is something that all associations has to experience and overcome.

........ to the FUTURE !!!!!!!

Cheers
Canada
Old 29-09-14, 12:54

I refuse to get sucked into responding to this thread. I know this tune by heart and we have broken too many needles on the same broken record.

When I see you next Gilles lets pop a pint and have a chat about it, again.

R
Old 29-09-14, 14:52

my 2 cents , having been a past President of the OMVA for 13 years and one of the founding members we need a leader that can look past a 4 hour event, we live in a very large province, summer events in other countries last 2-3 days, and the winter shows (flea market only) is more than a few hours, in Europe shows are a social event where people will enjoy the company of other collectors and chat about the hobby, as President of the Ontario Regiment Museum we chose to fill the void that the OMVA left and run the summer show as ours , this meant expanding the event in all respects to include every aspect of our hobby and last years show was a great success , this will happen again next year on the May 30 2015 weekend, one thing that I found very disappointing was the almost total lack of OMVA member vehicles , do not complain about the hobby if you never take your vehicles anywhere , in the last 10 years the clubs membership has gone from 400 to just over 100 , this is a vehicle hobby, they have wheels , DRIVE THEM!!!
Old 29-09-14, 20:49

Default Before I reply.....

...I will point a few things out. The OMVA both here and in the magazine have been asking for years for a new President to replace me and a new Vice that would step in. No one has stepped forward. I asked one person to take over as Vice two years ago. He did and has done nothing
I arrange everything that happens and my wife sets up at each show for the full five hours (NOT TWO) for every Show. Afterwards we spend half a day settling up. Neither of us is paid a nickel. If she cannot do a Show there is no one to fill in an I would cancel it. She has yet to hear a word of thanks from anyone. The Club has NEVER had 400 members. At one time we thought we had about 175. (I have the old lists). Currently we have 115. This is break even. If we go 10 less I will close the Club down (and I can do it easily) because we cannot pay our bills. We lost one issue of our great magazine to keep our head above water. If you read the magazine we publish a statement once a year. This is not required as the Constitution says we must only have one available for inspection at the Shows. The last statement was clearly shown in CMP 69 page 5. More to come I assure you.

Peter Simundson
Old 30-09-14, 00:19
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Our friends from abroad here on MLU must think the group here in Ontario is whacked
My reason for saying this is that I do not think I have ever seen any other group outside of our province air so much dirty laundry or complaining about their clubs. Is it just me or do guys here having nothing better to do? Maybe if guys were out in their garages actually working on projects to be able to have them road worthy for shows instead of griping over who does or does not do whatever it would be way more productive...
Just sayin'

1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,

Old 26-10-14, 18:27

Default Fall swap meet

Thank you to Peter Simundson and his wife for putting together the swap meet this past Saturday. Despite the last few pleasant days farm work was still on hold and I could get the day off. Got to do a little horse trading, buy some goodies, have a visit and pay my OMVA dues. Hope it was as good a day for everyone.

Gordon
Old 27-10-14, 01:22
3RD ECHELON WKSP

As per my thread in the other post, I concur and appreciate the effort by Peter and the Missus as well as all those who attended as vendors.

1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,

Old 27-10-14, 04:42

Default Wonderful time in Acton....

Nice to see all the familiar faces.... and pick up a few goodies.

Made a quick stop Norfth oif the Big Apple to see Barry and had the thrill of my life taking a spin oin Barry's pride and joy his C15TA..... what a brute!!!

Thanks Barry

Thanks Peter and the Misses Peter for providing for a nice weekend.

Been a long time since the barn boys had a road trip.... now we have two more before the snow flies...

Cheers
Canada
Old 29-10-14, 00:27
3RD ECHELON WKSP

So when"s the next swap scheduled????
Can hardly wait.

1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,