MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 02-10-15, 13:50
carrier mech

Default Thanks Gordon Yeo.

I have used a lot of restraint lately and realized I may never finish all the vehicles in the yard. My 5 year plan went to the dumpster when I started working full time at the Shilo museum. So I did sell off a few vehicles a year or two ago, and stopped bringing more home.

So I open my email the other morning and there is a note from Gordon along with some photos of a Ford 15cwt located about 45 minutes from me. I had seen the truck about 14 years ago as I had loaded it on my trailer for a friend from a local farm. Since then it changed owners once more, but was now on the market.

I chastised Gord for tempting me with such a vehicle. I think my words were something like: Damn Gord, you don't swing cocaine in front of an addict at 07:30 in the morning. I'll have to give it some thought.

Well long story short, I did manage to go a week without buying it. That's pretty good I think. So I guess I must now thank Gord for passing this one on to me. I guess he is forgiven for poaching from this area.

It is missing a few things like two seats, and of course the spare tire carrier. Of course, it had all the normal farmer modifications right out of the Manitoba Farmers Handbook: the spare tire carrier/toolbox removed and the box lengthened, wheel wells removed and flipped, and a grain chute cut into the tailgate. The one fender has also taken a bit of a beating. But on the plus side, the hitch is there, the radiator guard, all the lighting, original headlamps, and best of all, a totally rust free cab and roof. In the cab is the fourth POW holder, and the two side window frames. It also came with a set of good 9.00-16 bar tread tires.

There is not even a trace of bubbling at the lower back of the cab where so often they rot out. The truck was last licensed in 1953 judging by the plate on the front.

So without further yacking, here are some shots of the diamond in the rough, along with a few detail photos. I took photos of the door numbers for replacement later, and quickly gave it a couple of quarts of paint so it would look like something. I have always liked the Fords, and it will be nice to have the lighter model this time. Previous to this one, I have owned a KL, which was incredibly heavy.

Edited to add: I must also "thank" Rob Clark for this truck, as on a recent visit, he stated that a HUP is not a real CMP. How could I not have a real cmp in the collection? He can try and explain that statement to the others on this board.
Attached Thumbnails
Oct2015 new cmp 007.JPG   Oct2015 new cmp 006.JPG   Oct2015 new cmp 013.JPG   Oct2015 new cmp 015.JPG   Oct2015 new cmp 018.JPG  

Last edited by rob love; 02-10-15 at 14:06.
Old 02-10-15, 15:27

Wow that looks to be in really good shape.

I wish someone would wave some CMP cocaine in front of me down here south of the border. Instead I have to get my fix from clandestine trips to Canada with Randy!
Old 02-10-15, 15:31

Default They're still around

What a prize Rob. Good for you. Be patient with the new baby.

Peter Simundson
Old 02-10-15, 16:57
carrier mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric R. View Post

I wish someone would wave some CMP cocaine in front of me down here south of the border. Instead I have to get my fix from clandestine trips to Canada with Randy!
....with proper export papers from Manitoba I hope!
Old 02-10-15, 17:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
....with proper export papers from Manitoba I hope!
Fresh Timmy's is the currency!
Old 03-10-15, 04:14

Default Strange isn't,

Rob has to spend a bunch of money on a truck and I get absolution for poaching in Manitoba!

I'm glad you bought the truck and made two people happy. I know that my contact wanted the truck saved and go to a good home. Who better to have it than Rob ( Mr. Ford).

A HUP isn't a CMP? You have to watch those guys from the Hammond Barn, they will try and wind you up every chance they get.
Old 03-10-15, 09:26
MLU Administrator

What a great find, and rightly acquired as no-one with a bit of CMP flowing in their blood could have left it standing - no matter what the S.O. or the neighbours say

Rob, could you get a better picture of the decal on the overflow tank, not seen that before.

Cheers,
Hanno
Old 03-10-15, 13:41
carrier mech

I had seen remnants of the decal before, but this was one of the cleanest I have seen. As a matter of fact, I had taken a closeup.
Attached Thumbnails
Oct2015 new cmp 014.JPG  
Old 03-10-15, 13:58
carrier mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Yeo View Post
Rob has to spend a bunch of money on a truck and I get absolution for poaching in Manitoba!

I'm glad you bought the truck and made two people happy. I know that my contact wanted the truck saved and go to a good home. Who better to have it than Rob ( Mr. Ford).

A HUP isn't a CMP? You have to watch those guys from the Hammond Barn, they will try and wind you up every chance they get.
Gordon:

I cannot offer absolution. There is much higher authority for that. Poaching rust free artifacts from Manitoba and taking them to the Ontario rustbelt is wrong on many levels. There were a lot more military vehicles in Ontario....your forefathers chose not to look after them as well as spread salt all over your roads. So your people decide to live in the warmer climate of Canada, but then figure you have the right to come into the deep freeze at will and remove cultural property. You have not paid the price unless you have lived in constant -35 temperatures, knowing full well that after 3 decent months of weather you will go through the winter cycle all over again.

Don't forget, we now have your son. Any further incursions into MB for nefarious purposes and we will turn off his heat. Did you note that during your last visit out here (possibly poaching I might add) all his vehicles broke down? Don't underestimate our powers.

There is a little more to the "not a CMP" story from Rob. When I went to Afghanistan as a contractor, the wife set up an email account so she could talk with me while I was gone. Since my internet account was cmpman, she took on the account name of cmpwoman. Only problem was when someone asked her later what a cmp was, she thought it must be some kind of gun. I told her about the trucks, and she asked if we had one. At the time, we did not have an iconic cmp truck, although there were plenty of other Canadian vehicles including the penguin, the carriers, and a multitude of cmp trailers. So she told me we had to buy a CMP. It is not often I get told to go buy another truck from her, and so when the HUP became available, we jumped on it.

I suspect Rob's comment was merely trying to assist me by opening the possibility that she would fall for it, and order me to buy another truck. Alas, she was not so gullible the second time around, yet here I am with another.

Last edited by rob love; 03-10-15 at 18:08.
Old 03-10-15, 18:02

Default Manitoba's dark side

Golly Rob, every time I've been out there I always thought Manitoba was a great country and people. Now you have exposed a dark and sinister side that makes worry. Neil, better come home!
Old 03-10-15, 18:11
carrier mech

Sorry Gord. A fact of military life is that once you are posted to Shilo, you are destined to stay in Shilo for a very long time. (ask me how know this). Besides, he is doing good volunteer work at the museum.