MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 10-05-16, 04:04
RIP

Not wishing to hijack the thread but the following two articles on early development of the Canadian 15cwt may be of interest.

https://servicepub.wordpress.com/201...n-army-part-1/

https://servicepub.wordpress.com/201...n-army-part-2/
Old 10-05-16, 05:21
carrier mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK Simpson View Post
Hey Rob - Are you still working on the above vehicle? Don and I have the one that we bought pieces of from Gary Moonie virtually up and running. #IC-5984. Don did an amazing job of repairing and putting all the hand cut body parts back together, mostly with the original wing nuts rather than bolts, engine is fully rebuilt, (seems to run well with 100 yards on it - ha ha ), most body parts refurbished, all new brake lines, 6 volt wiring harness, switches and gauges rejuvenated by Sid Moorehouse here in Victoria, new rear wooden box made with all the original hardware. Don made a heavy duty jig and then used an anchor chain link (for the curve) to straighten out and then hand hammer both of the folded over and ruined rear fenders. Front bumper all redone to the correct curve by Pat Houle and his wonder press.
We are having problems with the clutch linkage and wondered if you had a picture of yours. The clutch will not dis-engage and the linkage bent!!!!! Cannot find another one.
Don

Very nice.

Not a lot of progress on this one. Higher priorities have developed, and seem to keep cropping up. I need to get it painted this summer so I can continue the work through the winter.

I'll look at the clutch linkage tomorrow and see if it is original.

There are two others...one at the Cdn War Museum, and the last one I think went to Arlon Bauer in Alberta. That still leave the potential of 45 more...who knows?

A fellow from Saskatchewan dropped by last year and left a photo of his pilot Chevrolet. So even one or two of those survived.
Old 12-05-16, 23:05
carrier mech

Katrinka and Don

Got about a half dozen photos of the linkages. I'll shoot you a PM so I can get your email address to send them to.

Rob
Old 17-07-22, 09:55
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK Simpson View Post
Hey Rob - Are you still working on the above vehicle? Don and I have the one that we bought pieces of from Gary Moonie virtually up and running. #IC-5984. Don did an amazing job of repairing and putting all the hand cut body parts back together, mostly with the original wing nuts rather than bolts, engine is fully rebuilt, (seems to run well with 100 yards on it - ha ha ), most body parts refurbished, all new brake lines, 6 volt wiring harness, switches and gauges rejuvenated by Sid Moorehouse here in Victoria, new rear wooden box made with all the original hardware. Don made a heavy duty jig and then used an anchor chain link (for the curve) to straighten out and then hand hammer both of the folded over and ruined rear fenders. Front bumper all redone to the correct curve by Pat Houle and his wonder press.
We are having problems with the clutch linkage and wondered if you had a picture of yours. The clutch will not dis-engage and the linkage bent!!!!! Cannot find another one.
Let us know how you are doing
Cheers Katrinka and Don

Picture of "Papa Bud"
This truck is now in the collection of the CWM:

“This is a left-hand drive Canadian Army Pilot Model 15 Cwt.1 4X2 truck manufactured by The Ford Motor Company of Canada in late 1939 or early 1940. There were only 50 of these trucks made by Ford and 51 manufactured by General Motors of Canada.

Together they were the precursors of the Canadian Military Pattern (CMP) vehicles manufactured in large numbers by both companies during the Second World War.

This truck was used by the Victoria Rifles of Canada.

CWM 20190197-001”

Click image for larger version

Name:	AC6FDAF2-0542-49EF-A814-E62057B141B4.jpeg
Views:	2
Size:	354.9 KB
ID:	129471
Old 17-07-22, 13:58
carrier mech

Beautiful piece. Ours still sits unfinished.

I have learned of a 5th example in Alberta, but it is more of a parts source.....not much left of it. It was offered to the Shilo museum, but then covid happened and we have lost touch.
Old 17-07-22, 14:50
Mariano Paz

Factory pics, same vehicle?
Attached Thumbnails
AT-078.jpg   AT-079.jpg  

1944 Ariel W/NG
1945 FGT FAT