MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > Tributes

Notices

Old 22-08-20, 18:50

Default Gordon Cumming, Crown Surplus Calgary RIP

Hi all....just a sad note for those who knew him and his store, but Gordon Cumming owner of Crown Surplus Calgary passed away a short time ago. I personally go back to Crown Surplus in the 70's when we used to buy their camo nets and got to know Gordon very well. And not the modern camo nets but the good ol'fashioned WW11 ones! There was a lingering odor about them and I can still smell them like it was yesterday. To visit Calgary without visiting Crown Surplus was a mortal sin! Something like not going to Peter's Burgers on 16th Ave.
During my years in Calgary, Gordon established a small museum in the back of the store. Among the vehicles were 2 tanks, one of them being a Churchill model (I stand to be corrected). The WW11 jeep is the only survivor left there along with lots of WW11 items hanging from the ceiling and walls. It was a museum before anyone THOUGHT of a museum. A man ahead of his time.
I will send the obituary to Rob Love to post as it would be only fitting for Rob....a long time shopper!
Thanks for the memories Gordon.
Old 22-08-20, 19:11
carrier mech

https://calgaryherald.remembering.ca...ing-1079440526

I had talked with him a number of times. He will be missed....one of the last from that era that was still in business.
Old 22-08-20, 21:36

Gords WW2 Jeep was used in the Superman Movie that was filmed in Calgary. I did some gun work on that movie.