MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 02-03-08, 18:29

Default 17pdr SP M10 1c

Hi

I am about to undertake the restoration of a 17 Pdr M10 1c and want to try and source/find out any history or information on it.

In the past it was one of Harry Pounds scrap yard M 10's and ended up being converted into a childrens playground climbing toy in the 70's or possibly 80's and I believe it ended up in Lincolnshire somewhere.

The vehicles serial number is 1310 and it has been established that it was built by Fisher Body at the Grand Blanc (Michigan) Tank Arsenal in March, 1943. It would have been assigned USA 4042014.

My problem is it has been sandblasted in the distant past and any painted markings or S numbers have long gone. I want to try to ascertain its WD number.

Can anyone come up with any suggestions as to what or where to go ?

In its favour it is an early build M 10 with early V turret. It also has welded on the back fixing brackets for what I believe are the curved skid rails that protected the wading trunking from being damaged as it exited a landing craft.

I am not sure how many early 1c vehicles were built but when looking at pictures you hardly ever see early pattern vehicles.

Any help greatfully received.

Carl
Old 02-03-08, 22:32
T' Guns thank God t' guns

Default M10

Hi Carl:

My favourite self propelled gun has always been the 17 pr version of the M10.

I will be in the UK 22 to 30 March sorting out the shipment of a couple of vehs to Canada and would love to visit to see your M10 if you are willing. I will be coming from Africa so I won't have much of my library of photos but can always post stuff to you from Canada.

Please PM me with your address if I can come by.

Ubique! Mike
www.calnan.com/swords
Old 02-03-08, 23:09
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl brown View Post
In the past it was one of Harry Pounds scrap yard M 10's and ended up being converted into a childrens playground climbing toy in the 70's or possibly 80's and I believe it ended up in Lincolnshire somewhere.
Hi Carl, it is this M10 w/17-pdr, isn't it?

Hanno
Attached Thumbnails
M10.jpg  
Old 03-03-08, 09:48

Hanno

Yes it is indeed that vehicle and I know you know where it came from. Have posted a couple more pics of it. Can you help in any way ?

Carl
Attached Images

Old 03-03-08, 11:52
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
I will be in the UK 22 to 30 March sorting out the shipment of a couple of vehs to Canada and would love to visit to see your M10 if you are willing. I will be coming from Africa so I won't have much of my library of photos but can always post stuff to you from Canada.
Carl, FWIW if our Mike keeps his hands in his pockets you won't lose too much stuff if you have him over! Otherwise, he's remarkably well-behaved most of the time...

Ref your M-10, great project! Perhaps one way to find your S-number is to dig through the archives for records associated with deliveries to AT regiments, just a thought. All relevant serials should be recorded there...?
Old 04-03-08, 12:49
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl brown View Post

The vehicles serial number is 1310 and it has been established that it was built by Fisher Body at the Grand Blanc (Michigan) Tank Arsenal in March, 1943. It would have been assigned USA 4042014.

My problem is it has been sandblasted in the distant past and any painted markings or S numbers have long gone. I want to try to ascertain its WD number.
Carl,

It's a real pity it has been sandblasted before an effort was made to note the original markings. As there is no link between the serial/US registration number and the British WD census number, what really remains is to find old photos to find out about it's number. I think the best chance you have is to try to track down pictures made at Pounds Yard, most M10s ad Sextons there still had their post-war WD numbers. These can be linked back to the wartime census numbers. These in turn might be linked to a regiment through the dilligent search of wartime photographs, as conducted by some MLU forum and G104 mailing list members.

Wish I could be of more help!

Regards,
Hanno
Old 11-03-08, 10:53

http://freespace.virgin.net/shermanic.firefly/m10.htm

Cheers

Bob