MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 31-01-11, 09:33

Default JAP Generator

I picked up two 1250w 36v JAP Generators at the weekend.
The data on the plate gives the year of manufacture as 1943 and a model 5 engine? Both sets were rebuilt during either 1960/61 at 32 or 34 base workshops.

Wireless for the Warrior list this set as a general purpose set (battery charging?) with similar sets being manufactured by Villars and Douglas amongst others.

The sets are mounted in a torsion bar mounted anti-vibration mounting within the frame. Presumably the mounting frames and Generator are identical with only the engines differing.

Does anyone have manual for this set or a plug for the generator. The second set stripped down to its major component items is also available for sale or exchange for other war-time generators.
Attached Thumbnails
Generator 1.jpg   JAP Generator 2.jpg   JAP Generator 3.jpg   JAP Generator 4.jpg   JAP Generator 5.jpg  

Old 31-01-11, 15:53

Default I think these have come up before

Hi Neil

I thing these and a similar JAP generators have come up before on MLU in the responses there was a link to a site that a great amount of rebuild info. Not sure of the model though, I have a JAP generator that is of a different but similar design. My JAP unit came with my HUP which was ex-BBC so I surmise that it was two charge the battery pack for the recording equipment. Mine is none running condition, a project for the future.

I never have much luck search back through MLU for old threads, so maybe someone who is a better searcher can find that previous thread. If not I'm pretty sure I saved the links and printed out some of the pages, I'll look for them.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 31-01-11, 16:04

Phil

From memory the set you had was the small one with handles at each end normally associated with RAF starter trolleys.

This is a two man lift item using stretcher handles through the frame. Even then it is a hernia inducing experience and best with four people.

I would assume they were carried in Battery Charging trucks at squadron/company level where large number of batteries would have required attention.

Presumably being rebuilt so late this was the prefered war-time model.

Last edited by Neil Ashley; 31-01-11 at 17:19.
Old 31-01-11, 17:22

Phil

This is one of your threads.

http://www.mapleleafup.org/forums/sh...ight=generator
Old 31-01-11, 19:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Ashley View Post
Phil

From memory the set you had was the small one with handles at each end normally associated with RAF starter trolleys.

This is a two man lift item using stretcher handles through the frame. Even then it is a hernia inducing experience and best with four people.

I would assume they were carried in Battery Charging trucks at squadron/company level where large number of batteries would have required attention.

Presumably being rebuilt so late this was the prefered war-time model.
Neil,

I have one of these 1260w Battery Charging sets with the Petter AS single cyl engine. We were still getting these in for repairs in the 1970's ( Petter and JAP from recollections). I think there was another engine make, Norman, an opposed flat twin. Frames may have varied slightly to accomodate the different engines. The Petter had a cylindrical petrol tank and a tool box mounted at the top of the frame. Do you have the Switchboard cabinet to go with it? There is a 10 foot lead to connect to it. As for weight, in my handbook, it shows it as just over 3 cwt.

1943 Bedford QLD lorry - 1941 BSA WM20 m/cycle - 1943 Daimler Scout Car Mk2
Member of MVT, IMPS, MVG of NSW, KVE and AMVCS
KVE President & KVE News Editor
Old 01-02-11, 09:25

Richard

The switch boards or control panels with some of my sets are the first thing to disappear when these sets are released.

A picture of what I am looking for would be useful.
Old 01-02-11, 23:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Ashley View Post
Richard

The switch boards or control panels with some of my sets are the first thing to disappear when these sets are released.

A picture of what I am looking for would be useful.
Neil,

My own set is dismantled and stacked away somewhere, so no photos of the Switchboard, but here are some details of it,

It is a steel cabinet, with doors on the front and a folding lid to protect the panel when in operation. Size is Height: 20", Width: 18.5", Length: 9.25".
The designation is Switchboard, Charging, 1260watt, No.1 Catalogue No. ZA 6573.

The JAP powered set was known as No.5, and the Petter one was No.3.

1943 Bedford QLD lorry - 1941 BSA WM20 m/cycle - 1943 Daimler Scout Car Mk2
Member of MVT, IMPS, MVG of NSW, KVE and AMVCS
KVE President & KVE News Editor