MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 05-05-11, 03:53

Default box I.D.

Hi,
Would anyone know the purpose for this box? Bought it at a swap meet this weekend as it was too cheap to pass up.
It has drain holes in all four corners on the bottom, but no other apparent power access holes on the box.
Thanks, David
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0527.jpg   DSCF0528.jpg   DSCF0529.JPG   DSCF0530.jpg  

Last edited by David DeWeese; 05-05-11 at 05:31. Reason: added info
Old 09-05-11, 09:45
Derek Heuring

Default Battery powered?

Hard to tell without knowing the dimensions of the box but that looks like a battery compartment on the one end with clips to hold a couple of "D" cells perhaps? Also, is that an indicating lamp next to the toggle switch? The stand-offs are there to keep the box mounted away from either a source of heat or cold, I'm guessing. Is there any indication of what the batteries would have been hooked up to? Perhaps an element or fan? This is totally grasping at straws, of course, but could this have been a storage box for welding rods?

It's as good a guess as any.

CHEEMO! Derek.
Old 10-05-11, 04:32

Hello Derek,
The large compartment measures on the inside 13 3/4" x 4 1/2" x 6".
Has a bulb socket to the left of the switch.
There are no wires, or hole for them, going from the small electrical-fitted side into the larger compartment.
Hope to join the Arrowhead chapter of the MVPA when I get a running, presentable vehicle.... seems like a lot of good folks there.
Thanks, David
Old 10-05-11, 11:20

Default Morning David

How's that early Dodge coming?

I've seen something like that before bolted to a tank hull. I'd had the telephone handset in it for someone standing outside to communicate with the crew.

Gordon
Old 10-05-11, 14:09

Hi Gordon,
Making progress on the '34.
I finally found a pair of the suicide doors for it locally. I probably paid too much, but it ends my search.
And of course coming from central Texas, one of them is riddled with bullet holes.
Thanks. David
Old 10-05-11, 14:13

Default It's only sheetmetal

If my lottery comes up I'll have that '34 from you, bullet holes or not. That's let you get on with the Chev.

My latest purchase, a T-36 Snow Tractor, rolls out of the container today dockside UK after a trip from northern California where it has spent the last 67 years.

Still a spring chicken compared with that nice '34 though

G
Old 10-05-11, 16:20

Default T-36...

Great Gordon!
Fun day ahead for you.
Saw photos of your new project. Must be the only survivor?
How hard to find new tracks willl it be?
You will also find it hard to keep focused on your panel project with that in your shop.

The C8 is apparently jealous of my attention towards the '34. It left a puddle of black ooze out of the steering gear box on the ground the morning after I pulled in the '34 Dodge. No sign of a leak before....
Won't really start restoring it though until the C8 is together and running.
Thanks, David
Old 10-05-11, 17:01

Default Only survivor

I think it is the only one. I heard mention of another, but nothing to back it up. It is possible that both people were speaking about the same vehicle when in different ownership.

Engine and drivetrain complete, seems to be missing the instrument panel ( with serial plate - rats ..... ) all the glass, all the lights, plus the tracks.

Tracks are only conveyor belt with bolted-on grousers and drive lugs. I'll probably get a UK conveyor belt producer to cut two lengths of elevator belt ( conveyor belt with moulded-on lugs ) and join them, then Vulcanise the joints. Drive lugs will be bolted-through turned nylon bar or the like.

This vehicle was offered to numerous people but turned down because it had no tracks. As presumably the only survivor of 36 built you would have thought someone would have wanted it. I have no issues with the vehicle or the work, but as usual the cost of transporting from California to Scotland is the killer - had to be done though.

I have four M19 ski / wheel trailers here, so I have two 1950 units to tow behind the Tucker and two 1944 units to tow behind the T-36.

G

PS - still needing two Dodge hard cab military door window surround frames when you run across a pair.

Last edited by gordon; 10-05-11 at 17:07.
Old 11-05-11, 04:38

Gordon,
You are definately a man with snow machine issues,(M-H Sno-Go, Tucker Sno-Cat, T-36 Snow Tractor, numerous ski trailers, ect)!
Great to have something to spring you out of bed in the morning, and that rare vehicle is as good a reason as any.
Hope the project goes smoothly for you.

Have one good window surround here that you can have, so if you find another you'll have a set......
Regards, David

Last edited by David DeWeese; 12-05-11 at 06:12.
Old 11-05-11, 09:26

Default Thanks Dave

I think I've put about five gallons of petrol in the Sno-Cat since I got it, so they aren't expensive. I suppose I could always fire up the T-36 and sit there running the sprockets - save a lot of track wear.

I'd have that surround please - easier to pay for it and post it or hang on to it in case you run across another?

Gordon