MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 09-08-08, 01:02

Default Aust LP2 field modified Mortar carriers

I have been researching units in the Darwin area during WW2, that may have had Mortar Carriers, why? I have a field modified Mortar Carrier and when restored would like to put it into correct markings etc.

I have been concentrating on the 10/48 Aust Inf Bn due to some photos showing carriers in the Darwin region.

Routine Orders or Notices (AWM52 item 8/3/47 Dec 42) para 442 mentiones that 'Carriers MG and Mortars will NOT be driven in the Bn HQ - HQ Coy area or in the coy camp sites or billet areas at a greater speed than 5 mph'.

I have found (AWM52 item 8/3/47 Jan-Feb 43) that the 10/48 Aust Inf Bn Combat Efficiency Report dated 17 Jan 1943 has listed 21 Carriers on strength and 6, 3" mortars.

Also mentioned (AWM 52 item 8/3/47 Mar 43) is a movement schedule for the 10/48 Aust Inf Bn to move to Fortress Darwin. In the schedule or matrix are listed at serial 6, Mortar Pl - 7 carriers. Listed at serial 8 are the rest of the carriers; Carrier sect -3 carriers; CO - 1 carrier; Ammo carrier - 1 carrier; spares - 9 carriers (list 4 as MMG carriers)?????

When you add them up, they equal the 21 carriers listed in the Combat Efficiency Report.

This shows that the 10/48 Aust Inf Bn had Mortar carriers from late 1942 to at least mid 1943 in the darwin area. I do not think that these would have been the purpose built 3" Mortar carrier (only because a lack of info on their use and whereabouts). The first 5, 3" Mortar carriers ware released in 15 Oct 42 and production ceased on 29 Jun 43 (ref Aust Mil Equipment Profiles Vol 2, M. Cecil).

Can anyone else shed light and photos on these field modified Mortar carriers?
Much appreciated.
Old 09-08-08, 23:16
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

You are naturally assuming that they are modified LP Carriers, but they could also equally be British built Mortar Carriers.
Old 10-08-08, 07:10

Yes, I have made a small assumption based on the fact that the ratio of Aust built carriers in the NT compared to Universal carriers and then of those how many would have been Universal 3" Mortar carriers. Of all the photos with carriers in them taken in the NT during WW2, there are only a couple of Universal Carriers in them, in the background. I think it would be unlikely that a unit would have a mixture of vehicle types due to the logistical problems with maintenance.

I have heard Diggers stories in the NT, when they were based in the NT with units that had carriers, that they used to mount the 3" mortar on the engine cover and fire them. Not sure if they were fired on the move or stationary. One Digger could remember firing a 3" Mortar using smoke rounds, the mortar was on the engine cover and having the round land in another carrier; they were on exercise and some of the other carriers were playing the 'enemy'. I think this was down around Mataranka, not sure on exact location.

Would appreciate any more photos of Aust field modified mortar carriers and unit info, if anybody knows of it; also info of units that used the Universal 3" Mortar carrier in the NT.
Thanks
Old 10-08-08, 11:29
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Here's a couple of pics, you might have seen these elsewhere on MLU. Unfortunately, every pic I have of a Modified LP Mortar carrier doesn't have any unit markings.
Attached Thumbnails
1091-1-2.JPG   1091-3-3.JPG   161732848-2.JPG  
Old 10-08-08, 12:43

Here is a scanned photo (ref Aust Mil Equipment Profiles Vol 2 by M. Cecil; original source unknown) depicting the mortar set up on the engine cover. This overall modification was slightly different between carriers or batches of carriers, perhaps due to trials and testing each time the modification was done. This picture shows that the armoured radio cover is installed and the ration box has been moved to the rear of the vehicle, there are wooden blocks on the top of the engine cover to stow the the bi-pod and tube, there are also special loops to secure the bi-pod feet and brackets inside the rear of the engine cover to secure the base plate.
Some vehicles (the hull that I have and 3 other known hulls) have a bracket setup in the right rear of the hull for the stowage of the base plate, this then removes the ability to stow the Vickers Ammo boxes in this location.
Vehicles also had an additional radio cover installed on the left hull area, I think to cover/protect the ammunition. There are a number of loops (thin rod) welded into the inside of the hull to secure, presumably, the ammunition tubes.
Has anyone else seen these same odd modifications?
Attached Thumbnails
mortar carrier scan.jpg