MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 15-10-09, 09:44
Lionelgee's Avatar
Lionelgee Lionelgee is offline
Lionel G. Evans
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bundaberg - Queensland, Australia
Posts: 686
Default Blitz Semi length

Hello MLU

Just wondering if modifications were made to Blitz trucks that were used to haul semi-trailers? Would they have extended the bed of the truck or not?

Kind Regards
Lionel
__________________
1940 Chevrolet MCP with Holden Built Cab (30 CWT).
1935 REO Speed Wagon.
1963 Series 2A Army Ambulance ARN 112-211
Series III ex-Military Land Rovers x 2
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 15-10-09, 11:50
cliff's Avatar
cliff cliff is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Gympie, Queensland, Australia
Posts: 3,101
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionelgee View Post
Hello MLU

Just wondering if modifications were made to Blitz trucks that were used to haul semi-trailers? Would they have extended the bed of the truck or not?

Kind Regards
Lionel
the tractor units did not have beds as such Lionel as they were more or less cab/chassis only with a frame to hold a semi permanent fifth wheel set up for the trailer. This is seen fairly clearly in the photo below which is from the Queensland Libary Collection and shows a Military parade through Brisbane. No quick release fifth wheel as there is today.
Attached Thumbnails
104937r Brisbane 1942.jpg  
__________________
Cheers
Cliff Hutchings
aka MrRoo S.I.R.

"and on the 8th day he made trucks so that man, made on the 7th day, had shelter when woman threw him out for the night"
MrRoo says "TRUCKS ROOLE"
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 15-10-09, 13:49
Tony Smith's Avatar
Tony Smith Tony Smith is offline
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Lithgow, NSW, Australia
Posts: 5,018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff View Post
This is seen fairly clearly in the photo below which is from the Queensland Libary Collection and shows a Military parade through Brisbane.
Crikey! I hope they turned off the Tramway Catenary for that parade. What sort of clearance is between the LC on the trailer and the wiring?

Lionel, here's a pic of the trailer coupling turned upside down on top of another semi. These were permanently u-bolted to the chassis of the tow unit.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4844.JPG   IMG_4843.JPG   IMG_4842.JPG   IMG_4847.JPG  
__________________
You can help Keep Mapleleafup Up! See Here how you can help, and why you should!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 16-10-09, 05:17
Lionelgee's Avatar
Lionelgee Lionelgee is offline
Lionel G. Evans
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bundaberg - Queensland, Australia
Posts: 686
Default Looks like I slipped up again

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff View Post
the tractor units did not have beds as such Lionel as they were more or less cab/chassis only with a frame to hold a semi permanent fifth wheel set up for the trailer. This is seen fairly clearly in the photo below which is from the Queensland Libary Collection and shows a Military parade through Brisbane. No quick release fifth wheel as there is today.
G'day Cliff and Tony,

Thanks for the information and especially the photos.

Looks like I used the wrong term to describe my question.

Okay if I put the word Chassis in the question instead of bed how would that go. So more correctly

Did they extend the Chassis on Blitz trucks so they could act as prime movers for the blitz semi trailers?

Now did I write that okay this time?

Regards
Lionel
__________________
1940 Chevrolet MCP with Holden Built Cab (30 CWT).
1935 REO Speed Wagon.
1963 Series 2A Army Ambulance ARN 112-211
Series III ex-Military Land Rovers x 2
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 16-10-09, 05:22
aj.lec's Avatar
aj.lec aj.lec is offline
Andrew
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: N.S.W AUSTRALIA
Posts: 1,623
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionelgee View Post

Did they extend the Chassis on Blitz trucks so they could act as prime movers for the blitz semi trailers?
Regards
Lionel
The chassis were not modified but were based on a 60s cab/chassis being the 134 inch wheelbase in both Chev and Ford

__________________
Have a good one
Andrew

Custodian of the "Rare and Rusty"
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 16-10-09, 07:37
Lionelgee's Avatar
Lionelgee Lionelgee is offline
Lionel G. Evans
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bundaberg - Queensland, Australia
Posts: 686
Default G'day Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.lec View Post
The chassis were not modified but were based on a 60s cab/chassis being the 134 inch wheelbase in both Chev and Ford

Thanks for your clarification Andrew Now I just have to find out what a 60s cab chasis is - would this be 60 CWT or three ton?

Kind Regards
Lionel
__________________
1940 Chevrolet MCP with Holden Built Cab (30 CWT).
1935 REO Speed Wagon.
1963 Series 2A Army Ambulance ARN 112-211
Series III ex-Military Land Rovers x 2
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 16-10-09, 07:45
Tony Smith's Avatar
Tony Smith Tony Smith is offline
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Lithgow, NSW, Australia
Posts: 5,018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionelgee View Post
Now I just have to find out what a 60s cab chasis is - would this be 60 CWT or three ton?

Kind Regards
Lionel
Yes, it would be. (They are one and the same!)
__________________
You can help Keep Mapleleafup Up! See Here how you can help, and why you should!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 16-10-09, 08:00
cliff's Avatar
cliff cliff is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Gympie, Queensland, Australia
Posts: 3,101
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.lec View Post
The chassis were not modified but were based on a 60s cab/chassis being the 134 inch wheelbase in both Chev and Ford

The occassional LWB 158 inch WB 3 ton 60cwt chassis was used as well but not often.
__________________
Cheers
Cliff Hutchings
aka MrRoo S.I.R.

"and on the 8th day he made trucks so that man, made on the 7th day, had shelter when woman threw him out for the night"
MrRoo says "TRUCKS ROOLE"
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 17-10-09, 22:35
Shakey985's Avatar
Shakey985 Shakey985 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sugarloaf Creek near Pucka
Posts: 27
Default

Lionel if your intrested in a trailer take a look at Boiler steam thread thats mounted on a trailer for you?
Dry cleaning service at Corowa
__________________
21 years Regular Army Armoured Corp.
Volunteer Army Tank Museum.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 18-10-09, 05:12
Lionelgee's Avatar
Lionelgee Lionelgee is offline
Lionel G. Evans
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bundaberg - Queensland, Australia
Posts: 686
Default Thanks for the photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakey985 View Post
Lionel if your intrested in a trailer take a look at Boiler steam thread thats mounted on a trailer for you?
Dry cleaning service at Corowa
G'day Shakey,

I saw the date on the thread and it was 2008 has anything happened to the steam trailer since then?

Kind Regards
Lionel
__________________
1940 Chevrolet MCP with Holden Built Cab (30 CWT).
1935 REO Speed Wagon.
1963 Series 2A Army Ambulance ARN 112-211
Series III ex-Military Land Rovers x 2
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 18-10-09, 07:28
cliff's Avatar
cliff cliff is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Gympie, Queensland, Australia
Posts: 3,101
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionelgee View Post
G'day Shakey,

I saw the date on the thread and it was 2008 has anything happened to the steam trailer since then?

Kind Regards
Lionel
Says 2009 to me so you must need new glasses Lionel

http://orbit.dnsrouter.com/~mlu/foru...ad.php?t=13500

I don't think this is a suitable project for you either if you wish to remain in the land of the living with you know who!
__________________
Cheers
Cliff Hutchings
aka MrRoo S.I.R.

"and on the 8th day he made trucks so that man, made on the 7th day, had shelter when woman threw him out for the night"
MrRoo says "TRUCKS ROOLE"
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 18-10-09, 08:11
serge serge is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bures sur Yvette FRANCE (near Paris)
Posts: 187
Default Ford canada f60t in france

Hello

May be I can give you some information about the length of the frame for a F60T. Two month ago a such truck was in a meeting in noth of France.
I took some pic and if you wishe information about the length of the frame I can to try to contact the owner

Regards Serge
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5538.jpg  
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 19-10-09, 03:46
Lionelgee's Avatar
Lionelgee Lionelgee is offline
Lionel G. Evans
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bundaberg - Queensland, Australia
Posts: 686
Default eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff View Post
Says 2009 to me so you must need new glasses Lionel

http://orbit.dnsrouter.com/~mlu/foru...ad.php?t=13500

I don't think this is a suitable project for you either if you wish to remain in the land of the living with you know who!
G'day Cliff I have good eye days and bad eye days - guess it must have been a bad eye day.

I have had my fill of multi state shifts of trucks and related bits and pieces Cliff. I am purely interested in its possible progress in restoration as a history buff.

Kind Regards
Lionel
__________________
1940 Chevrolet MCP with Holden Built Cab (30 CWT).
1935 REO Speed Wagon.
1963 Series 2A Army Ambulance ARN 112-211
Series III ex-Military Land Rovers x 2
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 19-10-09, 03:47
Lionelgee's Avatar
Lionelgee Lionelgee is offline
Lionel G. Evans
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bundaberg - Queensland, Australia
Posts: 686
Default G'day Serge

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge View Post
Hello

May be I can give you some information about the length of the frame for a F60T. Two month ago a such truck was in a meeting in noth of France.
I took some pic and if you wishe information about the length of the frame I can to try to contact the owner

Regards Serge
G'day Serge,

What a great photo! Thanks for posting it. What sort of condition was the truck and trailer in when the person first got it - did it need a full restoration or were they already in good order?

Kind Regards
Lionel
__________________
1940 Chevrolet MCP with Holden Built Cab (30 CWT).
1935 REO Speed Wagon.
1963 Series 2A Army Ambulance ARN 112-211
Series III ex-Military Land Rovers x 2
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 19-10-09, 06:46
serge serge is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bures sur Yvette FRANCE (near Paris)
Posts: 187
Default Ford canada f60t

Hello LIONEL

The first show of the tractor was five years ago at the great meeting in NORTH of FRANCE "LE PAS DE CALAIS LIBERE" but without the trailer , then this summer at the same meeting, now with a trailer.
The owner told me that the truck was stored during near 40 years in a shed and every month the previous owner starts the engine. So the new owner done only coat and marking (unhappily there are neither british marking or canadian marking). The trailer is not an original trailer but was largely modified to look like original trailer. I think that the right tank was not original.
Unhappily I have lost the email of the new owner but I hope to meet him again at an other meeting. I join some other pic of the truck.

Best Regards Serge
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5511.jpg   IMG_5513.jpg   IMG_5632.jpg   IMG_5538.jpg  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 13:57.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © Maple Leaf Up, 2003-2016