MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 30-03-08, 19:19
Dog Robber

Default Help with a Photo

Or, even anecdotal evidence of the use of use by any military force of a 1939 Chevrolet Master Deluxe Station Wagon.

I purchased a collection of die cast cars the other day and one of the vehicles was a 1/18 scale model of such a car. I am sure I have seen a photo of that model used by someone but cannot find it. I think the Aussies may have had 1939 models, I know they had 1940 models anyway.

I think the US skipped that model year as I only have photos of 1940 models in my book collection. Perhaps the Canadians?? Or, maybe a beute vehicle that was picked up by the Germans somewhere in Europe.

My intent is to strip the paint off the thing and make it into a military version.
If necessary, I can convert it to RHD for purposes of authenticity.

TIA for any help.
Bill
Old 30-03-08, 22:02

Hi Bill. All the photos I have are of Aussie Utes, Panel Vans and cars. Not a 1939 station wagon anywhere.

Cheers
Cliff

"and on the 8th day he made trucks so that man, made on the 7th day, had shelter when woman threw him out for the night"
MrRoo says "TRUCKS ROOLE"
Old 31-03-08, 13:13
Dog Robber

Thanks Cliff:

I suppose I could convert it to a panel van in a pinch. It is very thick metal and to do a Ute would be a bit too much of a job for me. I may also have a look at my Chev catalogs for 1939 and 1940 to see the detail differences between the two years and maybe try to change it to a 1940.

Edit: Here is a catalog photo off their website. Sorry, it was a very small photo
Bill
Attached Images

Last edited by Bill Murray; 31-03-08 at 13:27.
Old 31-03-08, 21:02

Bill the front is different and would be a big job to change the grill. I found the attached photo for you but am not quite sure if it is the model you seek.
Attached Thumbnails
CAR 6SEAT UTILITY CHEVROLET A.jpg  

"and on the 8th day he made trucks so that man, made on the 7th day, had shelter when woman threw him out for the night"
MrRoo says "TRUCKS ROOLE"
Old 31-03-08, 23:13
Dog Robber

Hi Cliff:

Well..............you have the right model but there is no way I can do all of those mods on a metal vehicle.

I am going to go ahead and do the painting and kitting out as a "military" 1939Chevrolet station wagon and hope I find someday photographic evidence of such a vehicle in real life. I will post a photo when I am done.

Bill
Old 01-04-08, 15:16
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murray View Post
.... evidence of the use of use by any military force of a 1939 Chevrolet Master Deluxe Station Wagon.

TIA for any help.
Bill

Bill,

What does one of these look like? I may have something in my files. Conversely, if you go to http://www.servicepub.com/photos.htm and scroll down you will find a bunch of staff cars and station wagons that I have previously posted on this forum (as well as a bunch of other 'stuff' that either I or my son have posted but which we host on my Service Publications server).
Clive
Old 01-04-08, 16:00
Dog Robber

Hi Clive:

The vehicle I have and which I hope to militarize is the yellow one I posted a photo of above.

So far, it seems that Canada also sort of skipped the 1939 model year for the most part as there are a lot of photos of 1940 and 1941 American vehicles of this type in Canadian service but precious few 1939 models.

Thanks very much for the link which I was unaware of before. Nice photos and quite a few you may not have posted here somewhere or at least I had not seen them. Very much appreciated.

Bill