MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 14-10-18, 03:21
Lionel G. Evans

Default Capacity of Truck in Photograph?

Hello All,

What would the carrying capacity be of the single rear axle Chevrolet shown in this Australian War Memorial photograph?

Does the vehicle have a disruptive pattern or is it just different shading in the photograph? It seems a different shade between just above the middle of the mudguard to just before the "S5" painted on the door.

Photo accessed 14th October 2018 from https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/P03369.002

Also, can anyone identify the trailer/caravan or rear truck body seen in the background just beyond the bloke's right shoulder who are standing in the tray? The background vehicle in question has the load on its roof and a couple of what look like to be windows in the side.

Kind regards
Lionel
Attached Thumbnails
line truck S5.jpg  
Series III ex-Military Land Rovers x 2
Old 14-10-18, 03:41

Lionel,

You can look up the load class in AWM 126 for that AIF registration.

It does appear to have a disruptive camouflage pattern.

The unit should also be easy enough to identify, too, but I'll have to open the other 'pooter for that...

The formation sign/unit sign combined sign plate indicates a 1942 image.

Just looked up the image: November 42, 2/7 Aust Fd Regt Sig Section, so a white over blue sign (signals) with '88' in red. Will check to see if 88 is indeed 2/7th.

Mike

Last edited by Mike Cecil; 14-10-18 at 03:49.
Old 16-10-18, 02:04
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Hmm

Hard to see from the pic but it looks like a 1941 model 1 Tonner ? The running boards are short , don't extend to the rear guards like the 15 cwt model ? 17" wheels . GMH cab with the opening screen. The line laying pole is a field mod done by the signallers .

I examined the remains of the same model truck up near Benalla , some years ago. Sadly they had disassembled the vehicle and bits n pieces were scattered around a rubbish tip on a farm. The chassis was there and in good shape but most of the bodywork was missing

These models seem to be rarer than the Ford version of which quite a few have survived.
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad

Last edited by Mike Kelly; 16-10-18 at 02:12.
Old 16-10-18, 02:12
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Cecil View Post
Lionel,

You can look up the load class in AWM 126 for that AIF registration.

Mike
AIF V18220 is listed as a Chevrolet 1 Ton GS.
Old 16-10-18, 02:29

Ahh, Michael, your intimate knowledge of things van-like has saved our friend Lionel from the unadulterated joy of looking up the weight class in AWM126, which states V18220 is indeed a 1 ton Chev. (Being typed when Tony posted his last post with the weight class.)

The vehicle left Australia aboard the transport Chios around 28 June 1941 (the shipping dates in AWM126 can be a bit rubbery.)

The 88 unit sign white/blue with 88 in red numerals, is the 2/7th Aust Field Regiment Signals Section, then serving as part of 9th Aust Infantry Division (the platypus over the boomerang on the upper part of the plate).

Mike
Old 16-10-18, 09:53
Lionel G. Evans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Cecil View Post
Ahh, Michael, your intimate knowledge of things van-like has saved our friend Lionel from the unadulterated joy of looking up the weight class in AWM126, which states V18220 is indeed a 1 ton Chev. (Being typed when Tony posted his last post with the weight class.)

The vehicle left Australia aboard the transport Chios around 28 June 1941 (the shipping dates in AWM126 can be a bit rubbery.)

The 88 unit sign white/blue with 88 in red numerals, is the 2/7th Aust Field Regiment Signals Section, then serving as part of 9th Aust Infantry Division (the platypus over the boomerang on the upper part of the plate).

Mike
Hello Mike,

"Allies" that is what people like Tony Smith and Mike Kelly are, Mike C.

What software program do people use to zoom in to read the ARN? There is a current thread on another part of MLU called "How good is your eye sight". My response to that is obviously "not" & "Very".

Kind regards
Lionel

Last edited by Lionelgee; 16-10-18 at 12:25.
Old 16-10-18, 11:23

This was one I took from Brisbane to Townsville for VP day 50th. I will find the story soon. A delight to drive, very fast and very light on the steering.

When I had finished I sold it to a "collector" in Sydney. 6 months later he sent me a photo saying I would love my truck now. Cabin chopped and painted bright yellow on a Holden HQ ute chassis with a Chev 350 V8. "What happened to the original engine and running gear?" "Oh we just got $200 for scrap"
Attached Thumbnails
Chev Townsville.jpg.jpg  
Old 16-10-18, 12:15

Found the story of the trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Alright on the Day001.jpg   Alright on the Day002.jpg   Alright on the Day003 (Medium).jpg   Alright on the Day004 (Medium).jpg  
Old 16-10-18, 12:34

Lionel

If you are using Windows all you have to do to make the screen bigger is go to the top right hand corner where there are 3 little dots.

Click on them and it comes up with a whole bunch of things you can do like finding your recent browsing history. It also has a ZOOM feature and you just click on + or - to gradually make whatever is on the screen bigger.

Lang
Old 16-10-18, 12:45
Lionel G. Evans

Hello Lang,

What a sad end to the story of your vehicle! Especially, after it made such and epic trip for you. Thank you for posting up the details of your trip.

Sometimes there are benefits to other people making "modifications" to historic vehicles. When I bought my 1940 WB Chevrolet ex-Australian Army truck I was told the engine had seized. After doing some research I tracked down a complete car with a "Blue Flame" 235 motor fitted to it. I could upgrade the original 216 Babbitt system to a 235 with a fully pressure lubrication system.

The vehicle had just been sold and I thought I had nothing to lose if I contacted the seller and asked if they knew what the new owner's plans were? The previous owner wrote back that the vehicle was going to be "Rodded" and the engine taken out and replaced with a V8 motor.

The previous owner negotiated with the vehicle's new owner on my behalf. I was able to buy the 235 engine. What was really interesting was that the 235 was a replacement engine that the second last owner fitted to the car. That replacement engine was shipped down to Victoria from ....

Bundaberg!

The engine was soon on its way back home!

Thanks for the magnification tip too Lang.

P.S. Time has past and a couple of brain cells rubbed together. The vehicle was advertised on eBay as coming with a replacement 235 engine - which grabbed my attention. The car was a early 1940's staff car. It had a unserviceable 216 engine fitted in it. The car's owner ordered the 235 Blue Flame to replace the 216 engine. The project was stored in the yard of either a panel beater or a mechanic. The project became stalled. The vehicle was then used as collateral on work that had been done on it. At the time I felt a bit miffed that such a vehicle was going to "rodded". It was bitter-sweet. I however, received both the 235 and the 216 so I benefited from the exchange. I will go and wash now... I feel dirty.

Kind regards
Lionel

Last edited by Lionelgee; 17-10-18 at 11:05.
Old 16-10-18, 12:45

Default Front windscreen offer

I have a front windscreen assembly that I believe came from one of these cabs. If anybody has a use for it they can have it FOC. From memory the frame is brass.

David
Old 16-10-18, 12:54
Lionel G. Evans

Quote:
Originally Posted by motto View Post
I have a front windscreen assembly that I believe came from one of these cabs. If anybody has a use for it they can have it FOC. From memory the frame is brass.

David
Hello David,

Yes that is correct - the windscreen frame is brass. Do you know what model truck it was from?

Kind regards
Lionel
Old 16-10-18, 13:00

Good win Lionel!

Dave,

Would love that screen but can't get it to my 1941 Chev Panel Van. Leaving Tuesday to Mike O'Sullivan's in Texas for a month to get it ready for Normandy next year. Coming?

Lang
Attached Images

Old 16-10-18, 13:35
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionelgee View Post
What software program do people use to zoom in to read the ARN?

Kind regards
Lionel
I simply use the enlarge function on the AWM page.
Attached Thumbnails
Enlarge.JPG  
Old 16-10-18, 15:20

How I aquired the windscreen is lost in the mists of time Lionel, I have no idea what the truck was that it came from and am not 100% certain that it is Chev. I know that it will not fit the American cab (CCKW, Yankee Joe, Lease Lend) and by a process of elimination believe it to be for the Australian Chev cab which could come with either fixed glass or an opening windscreen.
The Australian cab like its American counterpart was used on a range of vehicles so this windscreen would also have been used on the different vehicles fitted with that cab, this is the one with the quarter vent windows and kick open side vents in the cowl.
Thanks for the invite to Normandy next year Lang but I think I've seen the best of it and am somewhat of a believer in the saying that 'you can't go back'. Been there and done that in better days. Don't like what is happening in Europe and prefer to remember it as it was.

Dave
Old 17-10-18, 02:13
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Stories

Loved the Townsville rebuild on the run , epic drive write up.

I actually bought ( for $50 ) one of those 1941 1 Tonners back in 1981, it was located at Orange NSW . In very good condition, except somebody had fitted a farmers flat tray . It still had the '1941 Vans GS' stencil on the firewall and DLX KHAKI stamped on the Holden body tag.

My sister was living at nearby Cargo and we flat towed it to her place with my 1946 Dodge ute. I checked over the brakes on the chev before departure and they were in good shape. Despite some slow going in 1st gear on hills we managed to get home .

Had it parked there for many years in the open, later I discovered somebody had towed it around the corner and it had been ratted , both axles removed , it was sitting on blocks looking very sad. The cab didn't have opening frame so I'm guessing it was a very early one. Cab was rust free and almost perfect.
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad