MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 14-11-17, 16:52
Richard Nixon Richard Nixon is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Folkestone
Posts: 11
Default Chevrolet C8

Good afternoon,

Thanks for letting me join, I have been very impressed with the knowledge and friendliness of this forum!
I have just bought this C8 from Ed Sayer, which was advertised on here and milweb. Bizarrely I looked at this last year at War and Peace, when R&Rs were selling it. Ed beat me to it, since then heís done lots of work but has had to let it go due to work commitments.
It doesnít need much to finish, mostly mechanical work to get it to a rolling restoration from there on.
After a brief assessment yesterday it needs the following done;
Brakes, no hydraulic pressure - possibly leaking rear cylinder. Hand brake is good.
Slight leak on water pump, I think thatís where itís coming from!
Carb refurbish- feels like main jet is blocked. Ticks over fine but wonít pull when throttle is opened.
Few other bits and pieces, finish off the body and cab.

The first photo was when I saw it 118 months ago.

I dare say Iíll be asking loads of questions, so bare with me!!
Attached Thumbnails
B42ADBFB-44AA-4160-9BDB-09530248F263.jpg   D5236867-85F7-4BB7-9E3A-ABC8FABD76FA.jpeg   3BA255D3-D1FF-48A1-967F-0279DA079F07.jpeg   70D1E9E6-9685-4A1A-A4A5-E62F9EB98601.jpeg  
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 14-11-17, 16:55
Richard Nixon Richard Nixon is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Folkestone
Posts: 11
Default

Oops! I meant 18 months ago when I saw it first!!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 14-11-17, 19:27
Hanno Spoelstra's Avatar
Hanno Spoelstra Hanno Spoelstra is offline
MLU Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 10,308
Default

Hello Richard,

Glad to see you signed up for MLU. We have been keeping track of that C8, so it is great to have it's new owner as a member on our forum - welcome!

There are several C8 owners on here, so fire away with your questions and keep feeding us your updates with photos, please.

Thanks,
Hanno
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 14-11-17, 20:24
Richard Nixon Richard Nixon is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Folkestone
Posts: 11
Default

Thanks Hanno, I'll keep you all posted! Once I have it driving and stopping ok, it will become a rolling restoration. My aim is to get it into desert trim, possibly as a signals truck, not sure exactly yet. The priority is to get it driving and stopping!!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 14-11-17, 21:23
Richard Farrant's Avatar
Richard Farrant Richard Farrant is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Kent, England
Posts: 3,247
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Nixon View Post
Thanks for letting me join, I have been very impressed with the knowledge and friendliness of this forum!
I have just bought this C8 from Ed Sayer, which was advertised on here and milweb. Bizarrely I looked at this last year at War and Peace, when R&Rs were selling it. Ed beat me to it, since then he’s done lots of work but has had to let it go due to work commitments.
Hi Richard,
I saw this on RR Services stand last year and thought there was something familiar about it, then later I met an old acquaintance and I think he told me he once owned it, possibly 20 or more years ago.

regards, Richard
__________________
Richard

1943 Bedford QLD lorry - 1941 BSA WM20 m/cycle - 1943 Daimler Scout Car Mk2
MVT, IMPS member, AMVCS hon. member and Newsletter Editor
KVE President & KVE News Editor
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 14-11-17, 22:45
Phil Waterman's Avatar
Phil Waterman Phil Waterman is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Temple, New Hampshire, USA
Posts: 3,481
Default Welcome to the fun

Hi Richard

Hope you enjoy your new CMP and wish you many happy years of driving it.
Now as to your list of faults-

"After a brief assessment yesterday it needs the following done;
Brakes, no hydraulic pressure - possibly leaking rear cylinder. Hand brake is good.
Slight leak on water pump, I think thatís where itís coming from!
Carb refurbish- feels like main jet is blocked. Ticks over fine but wonít pull when throttle is opened."

Couple of thought based on a fair number years with these beasties

Brake system, it it has original or NOS brake cylinders that have not been sleeved you might consider having them sleeved once you find the source of the problem. With owning 3 CMPs I have found that sleeving is a once and done approach to this problem. Unsleeved cylinders are good for 4-5 years before the water in the brake fluid will pit them. Some of my trucks are now coming up on 30 years without the cylinders having to be touched other than to replace the rubber parts every 10 years.

Water pump leak- try real hard to id the location of the leak is it coming from the drain hole in the housing? Or is it leaking around the hose connection point. Pat 12s it is hard to get your head in there to actually see but try with a mirror. Also it may be just a gasket.

Carb - Before you do anything to the carb how old is the gas. The modern gas in the US goes off in 3-4 months and runs like garbage. Have learned to hold off on trying to find power related problems until I dump new gas in the tank and run the engine long enough that I know it is getting fresh fuel to the Carb. Also check your air filter, Pattern 12s have a peculiar problem the placement of the airfilter can let water drip into the oil bath raising the level of the fluid in the filter so that engine has trouble breathing.

Even with rubber gasket at the top edge of the hood mine decided to add an inch of water to the filter. Truck would start but not pull well, like driving with the choke pulled out. This was from one rain storm, over night at a Club Event.

Another thought on the carb would be to put a vacuum gauge on and see what sort of vacuum it is pulling.

Again wish you many happy years of driving.

Cheers Phil
__________________
Phil Waterman
`41 C60L Pattern 12
`42 C60S Radio Pattern 13
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 14-11-17, 22:52
Pete Ashby Pete Ashby is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Llandysul Wales
Posts: 565
Default

Very nice Richard that looks like an excellent buy.

Interesting to see you have a Ford bonnet (note the raised pressing for the Ford rad cap in the center front ) the Chevrolet produced version was flat.

There was a short period in 12 cab Chevrolet production when Ford bonnets were fitted this can be seen in period photos. I can't remember ever seeing an explanation for this does anyone know the answer? my old C15A 12 cab had a Ford bonnet and several other restored 12 cabs show the same feature.
Looking forward to following following your trucks progress lots of photos please.
regards
Pete
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 14-11-17, 23:45
Richard Farrant's Avatar
Richard Farrant Richard Farrant is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Kent, England
Posts: 3,247
Default

I am certain this is the one, here seen at Duxford in 1981 with the guy who bought it for restoration.
Attached Thumbnails
Chevy C8.JPG  
__________________
Richard

1943 Bedford QLD lorry - 1941 BSA WM20 m/cycle - 1943 Daimler Scout Car Mk2
MVT, IMPS member, AMVCS hon. member and Newsletter Editor
KVE President & KVE News Editor
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 15-11-17, 01:46
Mike Kelly's Avatar
Mike Kelly Mike Kelly is offline
Fan of Lord Nuffield
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Victoria Australia
Posts: 3,568
Default C8

Great to have another C8 on this forum. And a rising of Phoenix from the ashes , 1981.

Does it have a repro body ? I have the drawings taken off the Nick Bullock C8. If you need anything, let me know.

I agree with Phil have the brake cylinders sleeved in stainless steel. A long lasting solution .

Does it have the original carby ? The Carter is a over complicated example of engineering !

I had ongoing problems with leaky water pumps until I rebuilt one , fitting a modern ceramic seal . No leaks anymore !
__________________
1940 cab 11 C8
1940 Morris-Commercial PU
1941 Morris-Commercial CS8
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1950 Land Rover signals replica
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 15-11-17, 02:54
cletrac's Avatar
cletrac cletrac is offline
David Pope
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Eston, Sask, Canada
Posts: 2,225
Default

I'd say the box is a repro. It doesn't look quite right. I have an original for comparison.
__________________
1940 Cab 11 C8 Wireless with 1A2 box & 11 set
1940 Cab 11 C8 cab and chassis
1940 Cab 11 C15 with 2A1 & Motley mount & Lewis gun
1940 Cab 11 F15A w/ Chev rear ends
1941 Cab 12 F15A
1942-44 Cab 13 F15A x 5
1942 cab 13 F15A with 2B1 box
1943 cab 13 F15A with 2H1 box
1943 Cab 13 C8A HUP
1944 Cab 13 C15A with 2C1 box
1943 Cletrac M2 High Speed Tractor
MkII Bren gun carrier chassis x 2
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 15-11-17, 12:45
Richard Nixon Richard Nixon is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Folkestone
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Waterman View Post
Brake system, it it has original or NOS brake cylinders that have not been sleeved you might consider having them sleeved once you find the source of the problem. With owning 3 CMPs I have found that sleeving is a once and done approach to this problem. Unsleeved cylinders are good for 4-5 years before the water in the brake fluid will pit them. Some of my trucks are now coming up on 30 years without the cylinders having to be touched other than to replace the rubber parts every 10 years.

Water pump leak- try real hard to id the location of the leak is it coming from the drain hole in the housing? Or is it leaking around the hose connection point. Pat 12s it is hard to get your head in there to actually see but try with a mirror. Also it may be just a gasket.

Carb - Before you do anything to the carb how old is the gas. The modern gas in the US goes off in 3-4 months and runs like garbage. Have learned to hold off on trying to find power related problems until I dump new gas in the tank and run the engine long enough that I know it is getting fresh fuel to the Carb. Also check your air filter, Pattern 12s have a peculiar problem the placement of the airfilter can let water drip into the oil bath raising the level of the fluid in the filter so that engine has trouble breathing.

Even with rubber gasket at the top edge of the hood mine decided to add an inch of water to the filter. Truck would start but not pull well, like driving with the choke pulled out. This was from one rain storm, over night at a Club Event.

Another thought on the carb would be to put a vacuum gauge on and see what sort of vacuum it is pulling.
Many thanks for your reply, I'm new to Chevrolets so will take all the advice I can get!

I think sleeving the brakes is the way to go, if they havent been done already. I'll need to find someone to do it. I need to get into the drum and have a look.

The water leak is very hard to see where its coming from. I managed to nip up a couple of bolts, it seemed to make it worse!! Might have just disturbed something, however after running it up for a bit the leak has stopped. I noticed in the manual I have, that there is a drain hole. Good advice about using a mirror! I have a used water pump that needs refurbishing, I may got down that route. But as you say, look for the source (probably easier to find the source of the Nile!!)

The carb issue was identified by the previous owner - he 'borrowed' a carb off a friends truck, and he said it ran fine. Hence the thinking it is carb related. I have a spare later Rochester carb, I'll look to clean that up and refurbish it, put that on and see if it makes a difference. I have a refurb kit for the Carter W-1 thats on the Chev at the moment and get that done. The only other thing I noticed was a couple of big dents in the exhaust, on the down pipe, quite big creases. That will certainly have an effect on exiting gasses and increase back pressure.

I shall have a look at the air cleaner - an interesting problem!!

Thanks for the advice!

Last edited by Hanno Spoelstra; 15-11-17 at 18:36. Reason: formatting
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 15-11-17, 12:52
Richard Nixon Richard Nixon is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Folkestone
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kelly View Post
Great to have another C8 on this forum. And a rising of Phoenix from the ashes , 1981.

Does it have a repro body ? I have the drawings taken off the Nick Bullock C8. If you need anything, let me know.

I agree with Phil have the brake cylinders sleeved in stainless steel. A long lasting solution .

Does it have the original carby ? The Carter is a over complicated example of engineering !

I had ongoing problems with leaky water pumps until I rebuilt one , fitting a modern ceramic seal . No leaks anymore !


The body looks like it has been either significantly restored, or a repro. The sides are very straight, indicating they have been replaced. The front stowage bins have had some significant repairs/panels replaced. If the truck is the one from the 1981 photo, it clearly has had the body replaced.

It has the Carter carb - I will refurb it, also have a Rochester carb to try.

The ceramic seal on water pump sounds like a good idea, where did you get it from?

Cheers
Richard
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 15-11-17, 12:56
Richard Nixon Richard Nixon is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Folkestone
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Farrant View Post
I am certain this is the one, here seen at Duxford in 1981 with the guy who bought it for restoration.
Wow! Wouldn't that be amazing if it is the same truck? Cant see any registration marks on the photo.
I spoke to Kerry at R&Rs, he said that it came out of an auction last year at RAF Hendon museum. I don't have any more details at moment. I'm just around the corner from R&Rs so will pop in and see Kerry and hopefully he may have more details.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 15-11-17, 13:00
Richard Nixon Richard Nixon is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Folkestone
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cletrac View Post
I'd say the box is a repro. It doesn't look quite right. I have an original for comparison.
Certainly it has had some significant work, especially the sides - so straight! Would be interesting to compare your body to this one. Do you have any photos you can post or point me to on here?

I would like to put hoops and canvass on the back, but priority is to get it running and stopping!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 15-11-17, 13:03
Richard Nixon Richard Nixon is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Folkestone
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Ashby View Post
Very nice Richard that looks like an excellent buy.

Interesting to see you have a Ford bonnet (note the raised pressing for the Ford rad cap in the center front ) the Chevrolet produced version was flat.

There was a short period in 12 cab Chevrolet production when Ford bonnets were fitted this can be seen in period photos. I can't remember ever seeing an explanation for this does anyone know the answer? my old C15A 12 cab had a Ford bonnet and several other restored 12 cabs show the same feature.
Looking forward to following following your trucks progress lots of photos please.
regards
Pete
I noticed the 'bulge' yesterday - the radiator filler neck bares no relation to the bulge, now I know why! If it was the truck in the 1981 photo, it certainly had the Ford bonnet back then!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 15-11-17, 14:03
Mike Kelly's Avatar
Mike Kelly Mike Kelly is offline
Fan of Lord Nuffield
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Victoria Australia
Posts: 3,568
Default tips

hi Richard

The Rochester would be a better carby . The 216 version has the smaller throttle bore. The 235 version seems to be more common over here , it has the larger throttle bore.

There is a weakness in the C8 drive train, the uni joint just behind the gearbox tends to fail. The uni joint is inside the round sphere , it drives the shaft inside the torque tube.

Do a search on this forum for C8 .

The front wings on your C8 look a little odd , sort of like somebody has made them in the back yard ! if you can find them, the wider wings from the larger 15cwt or 30cwt or 3 tonners will fit the C8 . You must narrow/cut the wider wings down , make them narrower, that's what the factory did ! The 13" wheels do appear to be "out of scale" under those huge long wings !
__________________
1940 cab 11 C8
1940 Morris-Commercial PU
1941 Morris-Commercial CS8
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1950 Land Rover signals replica

Last edited by Mike Kelly; 15-11-17 at 14:18.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 15-11-17, 14:37
Richard Farrant's Avatar
Richard Farrant Richard Farrant is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Kent, England
Posts: 3,247
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Nixon View Post
Wow! Wouldn't that be amazing if it is the same truck? Cant see any registration marks on the photo.
I spoke to Kerry at R&Rs, he said that it came out of an auction last year at RAF Hendon museum. I don't have any more details at moment. I'm just around the corner from R&Rs so will pop in and see Kerry and hopefully he may have more details.
Hi Richard
I have just sent you a Private Message on here.

Regards Richard
__________________
Richard

1943 Bedford QLD lorry - 1941 BSA WM20 m/cycle - 1943 Daimler Scout Car Mk2
MVT, IMPS member, AMVCS hon. member and Newsletter Editor
KVE President & KVE News Editor
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 15-11-17, 15:04
Richard Nixon Richard Nixon is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Folkestone
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kelly View Post
hi Richard

The Rochester would be a better carby . The 216 version has the smaller throttle bore. The 235 version seems to be more common over here , it has the larger throttle bore.

There is a weakness in the C8 drive train, the uni joint just behind the gearbox tends to fail. The uni joint is inside the round sphere , it drives the shaft inside the torque tube.

Do a search on this forum for C8 .

The front wings on your C8 look a little odd , sort of like somebody has made them in the back yard ! if you can find them, the wider wings from the larger 15cwt or 30cwt or 3 tonners will fit the C8 . You must narrow/cut the wider wings down , make them narrower, that's what the factory did ! The 13" wheels do appear to be "out of scale" under those huge long wings !
Hi Mike,

The Rochester carb is off a 216 of slightly later vintage. I'm going to refurb it and use it until I get the carter done. I need to be able to keep the C8 mobile while I do the work as I am limited on space and have to move it around.

I have heard about the universal joint - is there anything I can do to help its longevity?

The wings are wider than the rest of the truck! I thought they looked a little odd compared to the wheels too. I'm not familiar with CMP vehicles at all, so I wouldnt have known if they were right or wrong. The proportions dont look quite 'right'. They've certainly been on there a long while looking at the rust and the fixings on the brackets holding the wings. That will be something to look out for in the future. One good thing is that if the front end goes through a gap, the rest will too!

Thanks
Richard
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 15-11-17, 19:33
cletrac's Avatar
cletrac cletrac is offline
David Pope
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Eston, Sask, Canada
Posts: 2,225
Default

Check out this thread.
You'll find lots of useful info here.
__________________
1940 Cab 11 C8 Wireless with 1A2 box & 11 set
1940 Cab 11 C8 cab and chassis
1940 Cab 11 C15 with 2A1 & Motley mount & Lewis gun
1940 Cab 11 F15A w/ Chev rear ends
1941 Cab 12 F15A
1942-44 Cab 13 F15A x 5
1942 cab 13 F15A with 2B1 box
1943 cab 13 F15A with 2H1 box
1943 Cab 13 C8A HUP
1944 Cab 13 C15A with 2C1 box
1943 Cletrac M2 High Speed Tractor
MkII Bren gun carrier chassis x 2
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 15-11-17, 23:19
Richard Nixon Richard Nixon is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Folkestone
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cletrac View Post
Check out this thread.
You'll find lots of useful info here.
Thanks David, with the posts Hanno provided earlier in this thread and the link you have given me, I've got quite a bit of history to my C8 already!
This forum is pretty amazing! Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 16-11-17, 00:27
Alex van de Wetering Alex van de Wetering is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Hoofddorp, The Netherlands
Posts: 1,813
Default

Richard,

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the purchase of your C8! Lovely truck!

Quote:
Pattern 12s have a peculiar problem the placement of the airfilter can let water drip into the oil bath raising the level of the fluid in the filter so that engine has trouble breathing.
Once again....a vey valuble piece of info, Phil! I have to check if that's also the case with an 11cab....even though that has rain gutters along the edge of the engine cover.

Alex
__________________
Chevrolet C8 cab 11 FFW
BSA Folding Bicycle
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 16-11-17, 15:46
Phil Waterman's Avatar
Phil Waterman Phil Waterman is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Temple, New Hampshire, USA
Posts: 3,481
Default Do any Pat 12 have a gutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex van de Wetering View Post
........
Once again....a vey valuble piece of info, Phil! I have to check if that's also the case with an 11cab....even though that has rain gutters along the edge of the engine cover.

Alex

Alex you make me wonder do any Pat 12s have the little gutter under the hood at the windscreen edge like the Pat 13s?

I agree good to see another CMP being enjoyed by new owner, keep us posted Richard.

Cheers Phil
__________________
Phil Waterman
`41 C60L Pattern 12
`42 C60S Radio Pattern 13
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 16-11-17, 16:18
Pete Ashby Pete Ashby is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Llandysul Wales
Posts: 565
Default

Phil, my C15A 12 cab had a gutter fitted it was angled slightly down each side from the center line of the scuttle and fixed by two tabs that were held in place to the scuttle (under the webbing strip) with counter sunk machine screws I'm not sure if I have any photos of it I'll check

Pete
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 16-11-17, 16:42
Pete Ashby Pete Ashby is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Llandysul Wales
Posts: 565
Default

Just checked and I don't have a photo of the engine by of my old C15A, however I checked the well known factory photos (below) and there is certainly no gutter shown there.


Perhaps it was a field modification by CREME or maybe only REME just on trucks issued to the British, it was a pain really as it used to interfere with the hood hinges which made me think it was an addition rather than a factory fit but then 11 and 12 cabs are such a dogs breakfast of drawing board design changes and on line modifications that you can never be sure

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Sheet metal work 1 GMEXJ4 670-261241.jpg  
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 19-11-17, 22:06
Richard Nixon Richard Nixon is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Folkestone
Posts: 11
Default

Did a bit of work today, mostly finding my way around the truck. Hereís the engine rebuild plate, all standard in October 1945! How can I decode the plate to find out about where it was overhauled?
Attached Thumbnails
D02CEF15-7F63-4895-B71F-DE54205C8F31.jpg   EF375F92-3C0E-426E-8EBE-2AA6A93ED0E4.jpg  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale: Chevrolet Cab 12 CGT Niels V For Sale Or Wanted 4 25-03-17 19:24
Wanted: Chevrolet 216 oil pan Harry Moon For Sale Or Wanted 3 24-12-14 01:17
Chevrolet C8A-HUP? RichCam The Softskin Forum 13 22-12-11 11:08
Chevrolet C8 HUW mshackleton The Softskin Forum 28 21-06-10 13:18
'44/'45 NZ Chevrolet David_Hayward (RIP) The Softskin Forum 2 26-09-05 13:38


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:59.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © Maple Leaf Up, 2003-2016