MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > BUY, TRADE or SELL > For Sale Or Wanted

Notices

Old 04-08-15, 07:55
Hessian

Default Chev Blitz C15A North QLD

Hi all, this is my first post, so I apologise for any newbie mistakes.

I live in Townsville, QLD, and am chasing a cheap C15 blitz truck as a project for me, my dad and father in law to work on. Times are a bit hard for old blokes, so I suggested a relatively cheap distraction in the form of an old blitz.

I would like to make it close to a daily driver as possible, so an engine swap will probably occur early on (goodness knows what will go in there). I know they are loud and noisy and not usually considered to be daily drivers, but I'm happy to put up with the quirks.

I am new to these vehicles, and new to building vehicles, so I would like something fairly close by that doesn't cost the earth to freight up and will be a good introduction into mechanical shenanigans.

I am chasing a C15 as they are more practical and can be driven on a C class licence.

Please be gentle on the replies!
Old 05-08-15, 08:00

Hi Luke,
Hate to see a first post ignored, so:
1/ Welcome to MLU
2/ The fact you have not had a reply is not so the apparent rudeness of the forum members, it just that means that no on can help you with finding what you want, where you want it.

Ebay and Gumtree often seem have CMP's up your way (well Queensland anyway), other than that it's watching the clearing sale ads. and keeping your eyes open for rusty trucks whenever out and about.

Most common and easiest engine swap (for Chev.) is the Blue flame motor, but it sounds like you want to go further than that, and as a daily driver the original full crash gearbox may not be suitable.

When you do find what you want, there will be plenty of help and interest here, good luck with the hunt.
Rich.
Old 05-08-15, 19:21

Default Welcome to the fun

Hi Luke

To echo Richard's post, welcome aboard and good luck on your search, you started off correctly on your search by giving your location, amazing how often that little detail is left out, also good in that you clearly stated what you are looking for.

Hopefully some one will have or know of a C15 that needs a good home. Will warn you though CMPs are addictive so once you get one to follow you home others may follow. Cheap maybe a relative term given the cost of restoring or getting to being in a running order vs someones running older restoration.

Daily driver is also a relative term depending on distances and road conditions. Relative low speed driving 30-35 MPH the smaller CMPs or a lot of fund to drive even with the non-sychro transmission. Fuel economy is not one of there big points.

Keep us posted on your search, if you find something that you are considering take lots of pictures and post them for comment.

Cheers and Good Luck Phil

PS just googled Townsville, QLD, and my guess of where it is located was off by a lot.
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 05-08-15, 23:04
Hessian

Thanks for the reply, gents.

I actually do have a CMP in mind but is quite a distance away and I think it may be too expensive in terms of initial purchase price and then delivery on top. (The gentleman has 7 CMPs for sale, but only one C15).

I have a mate in that part of the country who is going to take some photos today, so I'll pop them up when he sends them through.

I have another associate in Toowoomba who has a C15A and put a 60 Series landcruiser engine and running gear in his and he uses it for work purposes. I thought of doing something similar.

I can get an L20B engine for free from a workmate, but I don't know if it would be suitable in this instance. I would prefer not to keep the crash box as I have a feeling it'd be wrecked before I'd learned how to use it properly.

Also, low speeds are fine, but Townsville does have a surprising section of 80-100kmh sections and I'd prefer to be able to use them.
Old 05-08-15, 23:18
Tony Baker

Default CMPs up North

Luke,

Although I am also in QLD , I'm too far south to be of direct assistance, however I will keep my eyes open. Perhaps I should have said 'ears' open! How far afield are you willing to go to retrieve a vehicle? Equally as important, is it definately a Chevrolet vehicle you are after? I as that because I have a friend who does a substantial amount of travel, both within QLD and interstate, in search of CMPs and part/s thereof. He has no interest in Chevs though. I suspect something traumatic must have happened to him during his childhood, while in or near a Chev. Although he only accepts Fords, he obviously will get to hear about Chevs too, but wouldn't be attempting to buy any!

I agree with previous comment that these trucks are very much like chocolate biscuits. You can't stop at one. Especially the case if your chosen vehicle requires replacement of worn-out, missing, or rotten parts, which it no doubt will. While I'm restoring only one vehicle, there are lots of extra bits squirreled around for 'just in case'. Speaking of storage, on the off chance that your restoration space is as limited as mine was originally, I suggest you do what I did. Get lots of rusty truck parts and leave them laying around your yard. Eventually the wife will be so sick of looking at them, she will recommend you get a nice new shed built to hide them in. Problem solved.

The truck I'm restoring will retain an original engine type (Ford, sidevalve V8) but it will be virtually a fresh engine. When I started restoring that truck, I would have been aghast at the thought of changing for any other engine, but I recently bought a second CMP for almost daily use, and previous owner had a 4 cylinder diesel engine grafted in, from a Canter light truck. If it wasn't for the engine swap I don't think I would feel confident enough to drive it as often as I do, so I think your plan is quite a sound decision. I hope your truck has longer legs than mine though! It's a push to get over 90 km/h on anything other than a billiard table flat highway, but has lots of power down low. Still as rough as guts to ride, but that's part of the charm of these old things. If your resto will have the larger wheels (20", as opposed to 16") you shouldn't have same lack of speed I get.

May I suggest you consider placing ads in some of the rural newspapers up your way? I know my CMP hunting friend has had very good results from that avenue. Don't despair if no immediate results. I got a couple of calls half a year after work colleagues put flyers on country town noticeboards while they were travelling out west. One of those leads resulted in the purchase of my restoration truck, the other call made me a good contact for parts. Neither one was particularly close, but a few hours round trip is OK by me. Makes a good day out for the family.

Hope you get as much enjoyment out of these old vehicles, as many of us have already. These trucks are certainly worth saving, and good fun to drive. I'll email you if I hear of anything promising. Do keep watch on ebay and gumtree too. Occasionally something interesting DOES appear up north. All the best with your search, and feel free to contact me if I can be any help.

One tip, take HEAPS of photos along the way. Partly for your own reference, partly to post here! Nothing gets things across like a photo of whatever is being spoken about. There are considerable variations in specifications between Ford and Chevrolet, and also between the different types within a manufacturer. Not everything is interchangable. Photos help identification much easier. Ask plenty of questions on MLU. Nobody will get annoyed. Everyone here is very willing to assist where we can. Once you get a vehicle, start a restoration thread for it, in the Restoration section.

Last edited by Private_collector; 05-08-15 at 23:29.
Old 06-08-15, 03:25
Hessian

Hi Tony,

Retrieving vehicles is really as far as the associated costs allow. I don't have a trailer or truck to bring one home on, so it would be up to a transport company.

I would like a chev, but really, when thinking about it, the cab patterns are the same practically and if the engine and gearbox are going to be swapped over, I'm not sure that it would matter to get a Ford or Chev!

I've never completed a engine swap over, but without the cab the CMP's look incredibly straightforward in terms of access! I'll take your advice and see what lurks out west. I'll also post up some pictures of the truck I'm currently looking at when they come to light
Old 06-08-15, 05:09
Tony Baker

Cool. Look forward to seeing the pictures.

It's time you made friends with someone who has a trailer! Car trailer preferred. If not already, get yourself known to the local vintage car clubs. The more eyes looking around for you, the better. The Townsville Veteran, Vintage, and Historic Vehicle club secterary is 4773 5651 (Kevin Warren), or email KWA61532@bigpond.net.au and try the Military and Historic Vehicle club, Townsville. Dont have contact details, but will be on the internet somewhere.

Good luck.
Old 11-08-15, 21:42
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Jackson View Post
Hi all, this is my first post, so I apologise for any newbie mistakes.

I live in Townsville, QLD, and am chasing a cheap C15 blitz truck as a project for me, my dad and father in law to work on. Times are a bit hard for old blokes, so I suggested a relatively cheap distraction in the form of an old blitz.

I would like to make it close to a daily driver as possible, so an engine swap will probably occur early on (goodness knows what will go in there). I know they are loud and noisy and not usually considered to be daily drivers, but I'm happy to put up with the quirks.

I am new to these vehicles, and new to building vehicles, so I would like something fairly close by that doesn't cost the earth to freight up and will be a good introduction into mechanical shenanigans.

I am chasing a C15 as they are more practical and can be driven on a C class licence.
Welcome to MLU, Luke!

I see my fellow MLU members have given you some sound advice, all I would like to add is that I think you should look for a 4x2 Chev rather than a 4x4 as that would be better suited as a sort-of daily driver.

Hanno
Old 11-08-15, 22:21

There are a couple of advantages in going for a 4x2. Apart from being a nicer cruise machine the engine/gearbox swap is made simpler because you don't have any concerns over front differential clearance. Also you are not restricted to having to fit the units in the distance between the radiator and transfer case, perhaps necessitating moving the transfer case back. This could become an issue particularly if you want to use an auto transmission as they tend to be fairly lengthy.

David
Old 11-08-15, 23:53
Hessian

Thanks for the 4x2 info guys. I would have preferred a 4x4 as feel pretty confident going off road once in a while, but its definitely worth considering.

Looks like I have some calls to make. The guy in Townsville, but apparently there is one living in Charters Towers, only an hour away. Hopefully its what I'm looking for

** Update: Old mate at Charters Towers has a LWB version with a crane. I'm going to head out there anyway to say gday and get a feel for it and kick some tyres.

Last edited by Luke Jackson; 12-08-15 at 08:55.
Old 28-06-16, 05:19
Hessian

A bit of an update a year on. The search continues. I've seen a number of blitzes, but I haven't seen a short wheelbase within a sensible distance from home. I've found a bunch on the Atherton tablelands in QLD and there is a far with about 10 near Calliope.

Im tempted to get this one. The bloke wants a grand and shipping to Tville is 660. He obviously has a number of them, so I'd like to get it as complete as possible.

I'm not going to bother with the tray and the junk on the back doesn't come with the truck. I'd prefer to get a junker and work on it gradually than outlay a big dollop of money (sort of like lay-by). Am planning on putting landcruiser running gear etc in it so it'll be a good while before it's up and on the road.

Thoughts?
Old 28-06-16, 07:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Jackson View Post

Im tempted to get this one. The bloke wants a grand and shipping to Tville is 660.
I feel a grand is way too much when looking at your picture!

"and on the 8th day he made trucks so that man, made on the 7th day, had shelter when woman threw him out for the night"
MrRoo says "TRUCKS ROOLE"